Help with school info?

Jojo29

Hi, my children are 5 (just), 3 (4 in aug) and 5 months. My 5 year old is in school here in UK, my 3 year old is in pre school at same school as 5 yr old but only for 3 hours a day and of course the baby has to go to private nursery. We have 190 visas and have just sold our house v quick and are thinking of when to go to oz, we don't want to take the 5 yr old out of school and for her to be at home in oz for a while as she is thriving so we are thinking if we have read it right that she will start school in January 2015 in oz, age 5 ( nearly 6) is this correct or could she start earlier ? Is there anything before school that's part of curriculum eg pre school? What options would be open for my 3 yr old? Or would be home with us until he turns 5/6?

Thanks in advance

jox

A child just turned 5 will be in kindergarten this year (first year of full time school) in NSW. THE 3 yr old won't be entitled to anything - you'll have to find a paid child care centre. The 3 yr old will be able to attend preschool (if you can find a place) in 2015. In NSW it's usually user pays. In 2016 the now 3 yr old will go into Kinder

The cut-off age in NSW for public schools is 31 July (much later than many states) so as long as their birthday falls earlier than that, you can send them into Kindy either at age 4 (nearly 5) or age 5 (nearly 6), up to you

So as Quoll says, your 5yr old could be in Kindy now, if you were in Aus. Or you could choose to start them in Jan 2015. It is normal for people here IME to send their kids later if they have a choice. My son (birthday June) went to Kindy aged 4.5, was the youngest of his class and I would say was on average over a year younger than most of his class mates

Your 3yr old, because their birthday falls after 31 July, will have to go in 2016. No choice in their case, as the law says they have to be in F/T school before they turn 6, but they are too young to go in 2015.

Hope that makes some sort of sense

Not that many people keep their kids back really. In NSW it'd generally be the May, June, July birthdays where it would be most likely. Most parents want their kids in school to reduce the child care fees!

More than you'd think Quoll. Seems to be really fashionable.....people have read that on average, older kids tend to do better and extrapolate that into believing that if they hold their individual child back, it will have a better educational outcome. It doesn't work like that, if they think about it, but many don't think much about it

In H's school, there were very few kids born Jan-July in his age group. I think 1 other in his class. And at least 6 or 7 who were Jan-July of the previous year

More than you'd think Quoll. Seems to be really fashionable.....people have read that on average, older kids tend to do better and extrapolate that into believing that if they hold their individual child back, it will have a better educational outcome. It doesn't work like that, if they think about it, but many don't think much about it

In H's school, there were very few kids born Jan-July in his age group. I think 1 other in his class. And at least 6 or 7 who were Jan-July of the previous year

This is our experience too. DD1's birthday is April, and she started when she was 4 turning 5. She was definitely the youngest in her class, and probably one of the youngest in her year. She is now in year 3 and aged 7 turning 8 in April, and a couple of her classmates have turned 9 in the past couple of weeks. Funnily enough, she seems to have made friends with children who are all towards the younger end of the year. Her best friend has a Jan birthday, and is the closest in age, but none of the other kids who she is friends with are in the older part of the group.

• 2 weeks later...

In the UK the cut off date for the school year is the end of Feb and in AUs it's end of March. this could either cause a few problems or not- depending on the kids birthdays. When we moved my sister (March birthday) was up a year, I (November) was put back about 6 months and my brother (June) was put up due to academics and being able to cope. From my year now, I actually have a lot of friends who have just turned 18 and could have been put in the year above due to being born from Jan to March and would have made it inn, however for some reason didn't. I'd also say they're is (not a culture) but a bit of an accaptance with holding kids back. I don't know if you will have experienced this but I have a friend who is almost a whole year older than me (2 weeks in it) and she repeated a year in primary, and have another friend who could have been in the year above me but stayed back and then repeated another year due to ill health. She will be 20 when she starts uni compared to the 17-18 year olds in her year. Work with the schools- take a recent school report for your daughter and the school should be able to accommodate her needs depending on where they think she'll do best. I hated the idea of repeating half a school year (I learned nothing for a whole year) and know that if I go to do uni in the UK I'll be a year behind my friends but that's just what happened when we moved and I can't help that.

In the UK the cut off date for the school year is the end of Feb and in AUs it's end of March. this could either cause a few problems or not- depending on the kids birthdays. When we moved my sister (March birthday) was up a year, I (November) was put back about 6 months and my brother (June) was put up due to academics and being able to cope. From my year now, I actually have a lot of friends who have just turned 18 and could have been put in the year above due to being born from Jan to March and would have made it inn, however for some reason didn't. I'd also say they're is (not a culture) but a bit of an accaptance with holding kids back. I don't know if you will have experienced this but I have a friend who is almost a whole year older than me (2 weeks in it) and she repeated a year in primary, and have another friend who could have been in the year above me but stayed back and then repeated another year due to ill health. She will be 20 when she starts uni compared to the 17-18 year olds in her year. Work with the schools- take a recent school report for your daughter and the school should be able to accommodate her needs depending on where they think she'll do best. I hated the idea of repeating half a school year (I learned nothing for a whole year) and know that if I go to do uni in the UK I'll be a year behind my friends but that's just what happened when we moved and I can't help that.

The cut off date in Australia is different in each state and territory.For example, in WA it is June 30th. The cut off date in the UK is not the end of February.

It is February in Scotland.

Thanks- I knew it was- was starting to wonder if anyone else was on the same page as me. My sister's birthday is the beginning of March and she had to do 2 years of nursery as she just missed out of getting into the school year as a result, which when moving to Australia got her bumped up a year.

If you're aged 4 before the 28/29 Feb then you get into the school year. If your birthday is later than that then you start the in the August/September being 5 years old.

Thanks- I knew it was- was starting to wonder if anyone else was on the same page as me. My sister's birthday is the beginning of March and she had to do 2 years of nursery as she just missed out of getting into the school year as a result, which when moving to Australia got her bumped up a year.

If you're aged 4 before the 28/29 Feb then you get into the school year. If your birthday is later than that then you start the in the August/September being 5 years old.

Unfortunately you gave the OP the wrong information for Australia.

In the UK the cut off date for the school year is the end of Feb and in AUs it's end of March.

Primary and secondary education in Australia is the responsibility of each individual state. Therefore cut off dates, like so much else in education, vary from state to state.

Archived