Where to live in sydney?

sjelves

Hi all,

Today my partner and I got the news that he got a job in Sydney.

He will be working near to Circular Quay & I am a paediatric nurse hoping to get a job in a children's hospital either in Westmead or Randwick. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on nice areas to live with good transport links for both of us?

Our budget will be around $650 per week. Is it likely that we will be able to find a nice apartment for that amount?

Really appreciate your opinions/help.

Sophie

As a couple, go central. Sydney has miles of sprawling suburbs that are variously great for families, but can be very dull for singles & couples, so stay close to the action

IMO this means one of the following:

a) The closer suburbs of the Inner West - Glebe, Newtown, Balmain, Rozelle etc. Well-off Student/Yuppie (scuse the ancient terminology) type territory. Pick it right and you can be close to the water

b) The "Inner city" suburbs - Surry Hills, Redfern, Waterloo etc. Lots going on, very handy for everywhere, some pockets of grubbiness

c) Closer parts of the Eastern Suburbs - Paddington, Darlinghurst etc. Will be slightly more expensive

d) A very few suburbs on the North Shore, closest to the water - Neutral Bay, Kirribilli etc. Quieter here but easy in to the city. Again you can be close to the water

e) Closer in beachside suburbs if that's really important to you - Bondi, Coogee, Maroubra, Manly etc. Not cheap and more travelling but for some, being close to the beach is worth it. Manly OK for the trip to Circular Quay (direct ferry) but much less good for any hospital commute

Your budget should be fine - my Sis-in-Law rents a (very nice) 1 bed flat with big entertaining balcony, garden outlook, small kitchen, large bed + WIR, nice living room, small bathroom in Neutral Bay for $500 a week (should be $525 but she's been there a while and the landlady likes her), 5 mins walk from the ferry wharf

Have fun!

Any reason why those particular hospitals? Westmead is way out. I don't know which hospitals have which departments, but there are very big hospitals at Darlinghurst (St Vincents), Camperdown/Newtown (RPA), and St Leonard's on the North Shore (RNS)

Edited by northshorepom

Yeah I'd second northshorepom. If you're going to work in westmead I'd recommend being near a train station. I used to work in parramatta and have a friend who commutes from randwick to parra. He hates it though randwick is a nice suburb - it's a train plus bus each way and takes a long old time, even though parra is well connected with train services.

Thank you so much for all your replies. I really appreciate it, particularly for going into so much depth northshorepom.

There is is a children's hospital in westmead, that is why is was one of my options for employment.

Thank you you for listing other big hospitals around the city, that will be really helpful as I'm sure they will have at least 1 paediatric ward.

Id definitely want to be near the water if possible. My partner said I was dreaming but after all of your replies I am still hopeful! :)

• 8 months later...

If you are working at Westmead Children's Hospital, and your partner at Circular Quay, then I suggest you live at Strathfield, (or Burwood/Ashfield) so you both have access to good public transport, probably about 20 minutes to both the City and Westmead on the train from Strathfield. If you live at Coogee or Randwick, then you have a 25 minute or so bus ride to Central station if you are working at Westmead. Of course, if you are working at Randwick, well, no problem with those places.

what's Maroubra like

Maroubra is OK, excellent shopping at Maroubra Junction and a good beach, although not quite as 'hip' as Coogee and Bondi. I see David Warner (Aussie cricketer) has just sold his unit at Maroubra Beach.

The bus to the city takes a bit longer because it's further out. I don't know if there is a bus service from Maroubra to Randwick? Yes, there is - 317 Eastgardens to Bondi Jn service, 25 minutes.

I just remembered that I had a job, briefly, at Westmead Children's Hospital, nice place to work, but driving there and back from Surry Hills was awful and the parking is equally awful, as it usually is around hospitals. It's difficult to get parking in Randwick during the day around the hospitals too.

I'd prefer to live at Randwick to Westmead, but if I was working at Westmead, I would 'put up' with living there, and the train service is OK to the City.

He will be working near to Circular Quay & I am a paediatric nurse hoping to get a job in a children's hospital either in Westmead or Randwick. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on nice areas to live with good transport links for both of us?

Our budget will be around $650 per week. Is it likely that we will be able to find a nice apartment for that amount?

Really appreciate your opinions/help.

Sophie

Randwick and Westmead are at opposite ends of Sydney so I hope you're able to pin down the job before committing to a rental! You will get a 2-bed apartment in Randwick for that amount, but if you then get a job out west, you'll find commuting an enormous headache. In fact, commuting to anywhere except the city is a headache from that area as there are no trains.