The weather

mkeeno

I agree with Lynn78 - I'm in Brissy and I find the summer unbearable, I think this summer has been the hottest so far since I've been here. I definitely stay indoors the whole time it's hot if I can! I had to go grocery shopping with my 5 month old baby girl yesterday and she got so hot in the car I couldn't wait to get her home and put the air con on! I do love the autumn & winter here though. I also find that I miss 'dressing up', it's just not something people do here unless you're in the city. My DF misses this too having lived in the UK for so long, he's a big coat & scarf fan. He really wants to get a Sherlock coat but if we don't make it back to the UK for Christmas he may never get the chance to wear it! I also feel bad for the tradies when it's really hot, that must suck.

Completely agree! I've hardly bought any clothes since I got here as I never really get the opportunity to wear them - have been online planning my winter wardrobe!

Good thread.

Agree with much of what has been said re Aussie Heat. We are in Adelaide, so more of a dry heat and don't suffer from the humidity, but.....

I play in a summer tennis league and we haven't played for about a month due to the heat! I play a lot of sport, tennis, soccer, etc. and if Im being perfectly honest, I was as active, if not more so in Scotland. Granted in winter tennis in Scotland could be a struggle unless youre playing indoors but the mountain biking, tennis spring-autumn, soccer etc. was always there. Also had the bonus of skiing/boarding in winter!

Overall I think I actually play less sport here, which is a strange one. Although I do more beach walks which are first class to be fair.

In my humble opinion, if youre into water sports - surfing, sailing, kite surfing and what have you, there is no better place than Oz. For a lot of other activities, walking, tennis, footie etc. etc. I would favour UK overall as the climate is just better for doing these kinds of things in. Never thought I would say this as Oz is held up as the 'outdoors sporty lifestyle' but I haven't found this to be the case and that's my take on it. :cool:

Good thread.

Agree with much of what has been said re Aussie Heat. We are in Adelaide, so more of a dry heat and don't suffer from the humidity, but.....

I play in a summer tennis league and we haven't played for about a month due to the heat! I play a lot of sport, tennis, soccer, etc. and if Im being perfectly honest, I was as active, if not more so in Scotland. Granted in winter tennis in Scotland could be a struggle unless youre playing indoors but the mountain biking, tennis spring-autumn, soccer etc. was always there. Also had the bonus of skiing/boarding in winter!

Overall I think I actually play less sport here, which is a strange one. Although I do more beach walks which are first class to be fair.

In my humble opinion, if youre into water sports - surfing, sailing, kite surfing and what have you, there is no better place than Oz. For a lot of other activities, walking, tennis, footie etc. etc. I would favour UK overall as the climate is just better for doing these kinds of things in. Never thought I would say this as Oz is held up as the 'outdoors sporty lifestyle' but I haven't found this to be the case and that's my take on it. :cool:

I find I can do much more back in the uk than oz sport wise, i disliked the perth weather....months of intense heat and then months of rain, I enjoyed it more in perth when it was winter even though it fely colder than a winter in the uk sometimes.

Obviously if you want hotter weather other states are more suitable, but there is always a humidity tradeoff (except WA perhaps).

Not anymore, WA is becoming more humid than it ever used to be! It was always dry heat and mostly is but there is certainly more humid days now. Totally unpleasant to do anything, as is the dry heat.

Its funny, whenever I read about the UK weather on here, its great for 7 months a year or mild or lovely or whatever. Yet whenever I ring my Dad or brother or mates at the weekend, they tell me its been shite for months on end. Can't figure that one.

The UK has loads of great things going for it but the weather isn't one of them. That is, unless it has undergone some massive climatic shift in the last 6 years or so. Which it hasn't.

dxbox how long have you lived in perth ???? ....

perthbum not far wrong with your comment my family couldnt believe that we had a fire in perth lol i think the lowest we have had in the winter is -1 and with only a gas fire fire and no central heating boy you feel it .......

And even my dad said that we could feel perths summer last christmas (2013) very sticky and humid ... perths weather is changing for sure ..

Guest BrisbaneBevan

I agree with most of the posts bemoaning the humidity in Brisbane. It is a bit of a nightmare and takes some acclimatisation for sure. I am currently locked in my back bedroom with the air con blasting out - the only solution for this sticky day. I can actually cope better with the higher temperatures as the humidity tends to drop a little. But that's what everyone told us to expect; lovely winters with glorious weather and grinding the summers out, hidden out of the sun.

Give me a crisp, frosty Autumnal day in the UK with clear air and stillness of sound any day! #RoseTintedSpecsOn But otherwise I will have to for the moment make do with the smell of Queenslander houses going up in flames and the scorched earth countryside with the sound of those blasted monkey birds.

Its funny, whenever I read about the UK weather on here, its great for 7 months a year or mild or lovely or whatever. Yet whenever I ring my Dad or brother or mates at the weekend, they tell me its been shite for months on end. Can't figure that one.

The UK has loads of great things going for it but the weather isn't one of them. That is, unless it has undergone some massive climatic shift in the last 6 years or so. Which it hasn't.

My mum is just the same! In a week you can have 6 days of lovely weather and the 7th may be raining but in their minds it will be shite! They sometimes forget seasons too - trying to explain to mum yesterday that this is winter, you expect it to be cold in winter! (It was actually a very mild 11C). I actually think the Poms believe they have to complain about the weather no matter what it does. If that's all they have to complain about then they're laughing! I'm astonished at the weather here TBH - it really is perfect for what I want to do outdoors, I just wear appropriate gear for it. (Beautiful clear sky this morning, washing nearly on the line - it'll be dry (and un bleached!!!!) by lunchtime and this is mid winter!

It's been very mild and wet with some nice sunny warm days in between the rain, then again it is winter, last summer lasted for a good 7 months and it got very hot even uncomfortable....looks like they are fir casting another hot one for this summer which is only around the corner.

Where in the UK are you?

Weather is generally crap here. You don't want it too hot as places don't have a/c and in London it's terrible with the humidity etc.

Archived