Moving back to the UK after 20 yrs

cheswick

Hello,

Well I`ve been reading a few peoples dilemmas about moving back to sunny UK...and thought I`d ad my little story...I`ve been here on and off for about 20 yrs..lived in a few places(Adelaide & Sydney)been married and now divorced...seen most of the beautiful country of oz...still it never really felt like home...even after 20 yrs....don`t get me wrong I`ve enjoyed the adventure and most of my time here...but,as I get older and family,friends get older too I feel the pull back to England...I`ve been going back on a fairly regular basis as my family thought coming here was like going to the moon..not the most adventurous bunch...anyway as I wrote now I`m approaching my 50th birthday I feel like another adventure....call it a mid life crisis if you will...but,life in oz isn`t as much fun a s it used to be...I know it`ll be hard to move back in many respects..climate,economy etc but,theres still a lot to look forward to over there not including family...being close to Europe and all that it offers...and great pubs!...

Anyway I`ve read a lot of people wondering whether to go back or not..my advice is follow your heart and if you really hate it back there...its only a 23hr flight back...don`t burn your bridges...if your a new arrival then give it some time before making a decision..oz is a great country but,it is a different country and you have to adapt...

Ok well good luck to one and all..cheers.

Good for you, sounds like your content with your decision! I'm going next month with my mum (she's abit nervous cause she hasn't lived there in 30 years), I think it will just take abit of time to adjust.

Thanks Jen85...yes it will and does take a bit of adjustment..and we`re all different in that aspect..i did a year sabbatical over there a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it even tho we went thru a very cold winter...so good luck to your mum...all the best.

Any new country takes a time to adjust but if you treat it just like that - a new country - you will be fine! You may be pleasantly surprised at how, with the right gear, the weather is just perfect for doing stuff outdoors! I love my long walks (missed it yesterday and feel like a bear with a sore head today because yesterday was gorgeous). I've found it really easy to make new friends, some of whom I know will be keepers (they have empathy! And humour!)

Good luck with the new adventure, I wish I'd been able to do it at 50!

Thanks Jen85...yes it will and does take a bit of adjustment..and we`re all different in that aspect..i did a year sabbatical over there a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it even tho we went thru a very cold winter...so good luck to your mum...all the best.

Thanks Cheswick! I love the cold weather nothing better than a nice crisp walk in the morning, best way to start your day!

Any new country takes a time to adjust but if you treat it just like that - a new country - you will be fine! You may be pleasantly surprised at how, with the right gear, the weather is just perfect for doing stuff outdoors! I love my long walks (missed it yesterday and feel like a bear with a sore head today because yesterday was gorgeous). I've found it really easy to make new friends, some of whom I know will be keepers (they have empathy! And humour!)

Good luck with the new adventure, I wish I'd been able to do it at 50!

Hello,thanks for the reply Quoll...I take it you live in Cambridge?..a very nice part of the world..i`m actually moving back close by...Saffron Walden..where I grew up and still have family there...and yes the weather isn`t a major problem really as I work outside as well...so I know all about the right gear...although the really cold and wet days will be a learning curve again...then again 40+ heat and 90% humidity gets a bit much also...Glad to hear you,ve made great friends again...it makes all the difference...all the best

Hello,thanks for the reply Quoll...I take it you live in Cambridge?..a very nice part of the world..i`m actually moving back close by...Saffron Walden..where I grew up and still have family there...and yes the weather isn`t a major problem really as I work outside as well...so I know all about the right gear...although the really cold and wet days will be a learning curve again...then again 40+ heat and 90% humidity gets a bit much also...Glad to hear you,ve made great friends again...it makes all the difference...all the best

Just down the road! I'm sure you won't expect it to be the same because it won't be! Hope it all works out well for you!

Hi Cheswick!I returned a few years ago to the UK,and have had an absolute ball!Travelled to alot of places since being here,which has been such a drawcard for me.I don't know Cambridge at all or the surrounding area's but ensure you choose a nice area to settle/live in,and I'd advise the same if it were somone going to Oz.Apparently we are in for a scorcher of a summer????lol Last summer was truly gorgeous.Best wishes and I hope you have a great time over here!

Hi Cheswick!I returned a few years ago to the UK,and have had an absolute ball!Travelled to alot of places since being here,which has been such a drawcard for me.I don't know Cambridge at all or the surrounding area's but ensure you choose a nice area to settle/live in,and I'd advise the same if it were somone going to Oz.Apparently we are in for a scorcher of a summer????lol Last summer was truly gorgeous.Best wishes and I hope you have a great time over here!

Thanks Melza,where I`m going back to is really nice...I grew up there and it has changed somewhat it still has a charm about which you cannot find in Oz(1000 yrs of history will do that)I was there last summer for 6 weeks and loved it..went to Madrid also and the year before travelled through France and NW Spain...so I get the drawcard comment...its taken a long time but I realise how much I miss all the culture of the UK and Europe...probably my age..but,really looking forward to living back there...thanks again and all the best,cheers

Hi cheswick,

Good luck to you! You have exactly the right attitude to make your move work especially as you sound so sure in your decision. I feel exactly the same and have also turned 50 but I don't think its a midlife crisis, I think it's realizing that that life can be short so it truly is time to make the most of it. However, you don't mention if you have any children - that's my one dilemma in stopping my move but as they both want to do it too, I'm hoping it will all work out.

Completely agree about seeing more of Europe too. I've been lucky to see a lot of Australia and it is a beautiful country but I feel there's not much more for me to see now and I want something more and different too. Really miss history, Europe, and yes the pubs too!

Wish you all the best and will be great to hear about some of your adventures too!

Good luck with your move! I'm sure it will work out as you have such a great attitude.

We can't wait to explore the UK and then Scandinavia when we move back. It's lovely sitting a dreaming about what we'll do. But first we've got an Aussie dream coming up - the Great Ocean Road, can't wait!

Hello...well I hope I have the right attitude...there will be times when I really miss my Australian life but,after all is said and done I think its the right move...when I was younger it was all an adventure and I loved the life I lead...its hard to explain but,age and experience does change you..which it should...and no I haven`t any children I`m afraid...thanks for you messages..all the best to your decisions...cheers

Good luck with your move! I'm sure it will work out as you have such a great attitude.

We can't wait to explore the UK and then Scandinavia when we move back. It's lovely sitting a dreaming about what we'll do. But first we've got an Aussie dream coming up - the Great Ocean Road, can't wait!

The great ocean road is a fantastic drive...can be a bit wild and windy but,still worth the effort...outside the school holidays is best I reckon...all the best

I think the UK is still a great place, you just have to take the news with a pinch of salt in the UK. Its like the overly optimistic outlook here in Oz (not real).

I find parts of the UK a much more relaxed lifestyle than living here in Perth, especially living in a medium sized town, services are so plentiful, its green and much more to do. Since living here in Oz its all about money and houses where as in the UK its a little more chilled out and people are actually friendlier.

I think the UK is still a great place, you just have to take the news with a pinch of salt in the UK. Its like the overly optimistic outlook here in Oz (not real).

I find parts of the UK a much more relaxed lifestyle than living here in Perth, especially living in a medium sized town, services are so plentiful, its green and much more to do. Since living here in Oz its all about money and houses where as in the UK its a little more chilled out and people are actually friendlier.

I wouldn`t disagree with you...how long have you been in oz?

The UK is not the same place it used to be, very crowded now. Have you been back for a holiday ?

...its true the U.K is very crowded in the urban areas,( it always has been ) .....try going rural .....Herefordshire ....Worcestershire ,parts of Staffordshire , like I do on a daily basis .... , its a different world ......BUT PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM HAVE THE BLINKERS ON , AND STATE THEIR OPINIONS AS FACT

Archived