Do employers need to see passport

rammygirl

May be a daft question but my youngest is about to set off on a backpacking adventure meeting his brother in Cairns.

He is a permanent resident and home is now Adelaide (so not a WHV), so he can travel with just his driving license.

he wasn't going to take his passport just in case it got lost etc. But I wonder if employers may need to see it?

they can check VEVO for his status and he has a copy of the grant letter.

What have employers asked for in the way of ID for casual work?

I had to show my passport at my workplace.

An employer has to verify that a person is allowed to work in Australia. I'm not sure whether or how this is verified for people with Australian accents but if you don't have an Australian accent, an employer would be foolish not to verify work status. They could use VEVO but the records in VEVO are linked to passport numbers. I suppose a driving licence could be used to match a person to a VEVO record although since the VEVO screen doesn't have a date of birth, address or photo it would be far from foolproof.

On edit: the advice to employers on the VEVO PDF printout is:

VEVO does not provide evidence of the identity of a person

Always sight the passport or the identity document, such as ImmiCard, that was used by the visa holder for the VEVO Entitlement Check; to confirm their identity and ensure that it matches the details shown below.

Edited by Quinkla

Good point. Think he had better take the passport as any decent employer will more than likely need to see it.

Wonder what travelling Aussies do, I know loads of teenagers who don't have passports. Maybe they need birth certificate?

i guess anyone could say they had his passport number and TRN

An employer will want to verify the prospective employee's identity as well as their right to work in Australia.

An australian passport covers both of these factors so usually they will ask, otherwise it may be a birth certificate and other proof of right to work in Aus.

Guest Southern Cross Personnel
Good point. Think he had better take the passport as any decent employer will more than likely need to see it.

Wonder what travelling Aussies do, I know loads of teenagers who don't have passports. Maybe they need birth certificate?

i guess anyone could say they had his passport number and TRN

Employers have to take all necessary steps to ensure that anyone they employ has the right to work in Australia. Identification can either be a passport and if it is an overseas passport VETO can be checked for visa status and for australians it is either a passport or birth certificate supported with photo ID

i don't know where you go and work, but at least my current workplace ask everyone (unless you are oz citizen) to bring passport, get the copy of it and also check visa status through VEVO. Most employers know that immi don't provide visa label anymore. So I'd say you should bring your passport, otherwise you can't prove your work rights etc include your ID too.