Making the move with not much time to spare!!

l1sa

Hi folks

Well, we're finally making the move, but with not much time left on our visa. does anyone know whether there are any conditions of there being a certain amount of time left on the visa before travel? (PR Visa)

Let me explain just how close this is going to be, our visa officially runs out on 9th July this year. Our daughter is going to be sitting her GCSEs this June and what with prom and everything we can't leave until 30th June, which is so close for comfort it makes me feel rather squiffy!!

:arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

Lisa

XX

Guest Ryan the wizard of oz
Hi folks

Well, we're finally making the move, but with not much time left on our visa. does anyone know whether there are any conditions of there being a certain amount of time left on the visa before travel? (PR Visa)

Let me explain just how close this is going to be, our visa officially runs out on 9th July this year. Our daughter is going to be sitting her GCSEs this June and what with prom and everything we can't leave until 30th June, which is so close for comfort it makes me feel rather squiffy!!

:arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

Lisa

XX

You're given 12 months to activate your PR visa once it's been approved. What you could do, is let the main applicant go over to Australia to activate the visa and come back or remain there until you guys follow after.

Kind regards

You're given 12 months to activate your PR visa once it's been approved. What you could do, is let the main applicant go over to Australia to activate the visa and come back or remain there until you guys follow after.

Kind regards

The visa was granted in 2009

Guest Ryan the wizard of oz

So has she activated it already then? "We're finally ready to make the move" Suggests they haven't left yet. I'm pretty sure that you don't have 5 years to activate the visa. I know it's valid for 5 years but if you don't enter Australia within a specific period of time it ends. Please can you confirm?

Kind regards

So has she activated it already then? "We're finally ready to make the move" Suggests they haven't left yet. I'm pretty sure that you don't have 5 years to activate the visa. I know it's valid for 5 years but if you don't enter Australia within a specific period of time it ends. Please can you confirm?

Kind regards

According to her signature, the visa was validated in 2009 and now they have to move over before the visa runs out on 09/07/14.

Thank you for answering for me. :wink: Yes, we validated the visa in 2009 and have been waiting for that all important right time to actually move all our stuff over and us!! Which of course has taken alot longer than anticipated. So now we find ourselves facing the end of the visa if we don't get over there by July. But it looks like we should be okay providing we are there before that last date.

Thank you for answering for me. :wink: Yes, we validated the visa in 2009 and have been waiting for that all important right time to actually move all our stuff over and us!! Which of course has taken alot longer than anticipated. So now we find ourselves facing the end of the visa if we don't get over there by July. But it looks like we should be okay providing we are there before that last date.

As long as you get in before the expire date there wont be a problem.

If you want to leave Australia at any point - you will need to apply for a Resident Return Visa. If you have spent less than 2 years in Australia you will need to prove ties to Australia to be able to get a RRV.

Also as you have already validated your visas - if you dont leave the country for 3 years you will be eligible for citizenship after 3 years residency. As you can use the 12 months allowed out of Australia at the start of the 4 year qualifying period.

Kind regards

Hi,

I know it's not relevant in this case, but as I understood it, everyone included on the VISA, has to enter before the 12 month deadline to validate it? It would make a massive difference to us, if only I had to validate? It would mean only I need to go.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

All the best.

Hi,

I know it's not relevant in this case, but as I understood it, everyone included on the VISA, has to enter before the 12 month deadline to validate it? It would make a massive difference to us, if only I had to validate? It would mean only I need to go.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

All the best.

I was just about to make the same comment when I saw your post. Everyone who has been granted the visa must enter Australia to validate - it isn't possible for just the main applicant to validate.

I'm not an RMA and the member who implied that only the primary applicant needs to validate IS an RMA but I'm absolutely positive that everyone must validate.

Thanks Ozmaniac for clarifying. I've gone it alone, and felt I was up to speed on everything, 190 granted etc, it's knocks you a little when you read something, from an expert, that contradicts your understanding of the process!! I hope no one else gets the wrong end of the stick on that one! 4 one way tickets for November it is!!!

All the best.

Cutting it fine isn't a problem. The fact that it's a migration visa may be a distraction but people travel around the world on tourist visas that have much tighter entry and exit requirements with no drama.

The actual process of moving and flying out can be done in two or three days. One day for removalists to pack up. Then you will need to get on a plane or be in a hotel overnight as you will have no stuff. Then the flight is 24 hours plus any stop-overs (bad idea as you'll be carrying heaps of stuff). Then arrive in Australia and have your passports stamped. It is the same process whether you are doing it with three years to spare or three days.

I was just about to make the same comment when I saw your post. Everyone who has been granted the visa must enter Australia to validate - it isn't possible for just the main applicant to validate.

I'm not an RMA and the member who implied that only the primary applicant needs to validate IS an RMA but I'm absolutely positive that everyone must validate.

Doesnt say they are an RMA just a visa consultant. But agree this is a bit misleading on two counts, few people have 12 months from visa grant to validate unless police checks and meds are done on that day! And all must validate the visa.

a bit worrying to be honest

Doesnt say they are an RMA just a visa consultant. But agree this is a bit misleading on two counts, few people have 12 months from visa grant to validate unless police checks and meds are done on that day! And all must validate the visa.

a bit worrying to be honest

Yes, I checked after my post and they're NOT an RMA. I only addressed the 'can only one validate' question but the whole post was wrong and the signature is very misleading.

You can't take into account airport closures, strikes, volcano erupting, bad weather. I wouldn't risk hanging about for a formal tbh. It's the rest of your life you're talking about here.

Even if those things happen, a week would give ample time to make alternative plans, even if it means paying walk up fares in airports and flying via Johannesburg.

Plus, if things go wrong, you could easily get RRVs. The compelling reason for being away would be that there was a volcano, strike, bad weather etc. that didn't allow you to use your purchased tix and the compelling reason for returning to Australia would be that you had had all your stuff shipped there ready to take up residence. This is surely a case where common sense would prevail.

I couldn't be bothered with the extra stress.

It wouldn't be great - but I struggle to think of a single time since the launch of the jumbo jet when it would have taken over a week to get to Australia even with earthquakes, volcanoes, strikes and stuff.

On the other hand, if the certainty is starting off a new life with a teenage daughter hating you for preventing her going to her school prom - especially if this was only done in case the apocalyse chose to happen immediately after it...

It wouldn't be great - but I struggle to think of a single time since the launch of the jumbo jet when it would have taken over a week to get to Australia even with earthquakes, volcanoes, strikes and stuff.

On the other hand, if the certainty is starting off a new life with a teenage daughter hating you for preventing her going to her school prom - especially if this was only done in case the apocalyse chose to happen immediately after it...

Of course, dependent on your viewpoint, if the Apocalypse did happen at that time, then entering Aus visaless might not be a problem either because of course, the whole planet will be in chaos. Then you have to factor in whether or not OP's family will be part of the Rapture (again belief dependent) in which case, entering Aus is again a moot point. Of course, they may fly over and make a stop somewhere to change planes/refuel and there is a military coup that suddenly halts all air travel, but I think that might be a mitigating circumstance. I don't think (off the top of my head) that there are any volcanoes in any of the places that major airlines stop to refuel/change planes, unless they are flying via Iceland. Possibly a tsunami might be more realistic then an earthquake but again, this is unlikely to happen.

No, Paul1Perth, I have to agree with Quinkla. I think that as long as the OP and family arrive by midnight on 09/07/14, they will be fine. I would also like to put Quinkla's mind to rest, I don't think that the End of Times is upon us yet :wink:

Archived