WA still topping other states

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is 23 km far out though? I'll admit when we first moved from Subi it seemed like the end of the earth, but really it's 15 minutes on the train from the CBD and 15 minutes drive from Freo. In Subi our landlords wanted $565k for our damp run down 2 bed flat - too expensive for us at the time.

In my reckoning definitely. I would suggest it is probably more than 15 minutes by train to CBD. You must include getting to the station etc. They may well attempt to change the mass perception that 23 kms is not a great distance, especially as the sprawl intensifies to double that, but neither would I be part of that.

I would be inclined to move to a smaller city. Just me though as not a fan of the suburban scenario as described.

In my reckoning definitely. I would suggest it is probably more than 15 minutes by train to CBD. You must include getting to the station etc. They may well attempt to change the mass perception that 23 kms is not a great distance, especially as the sprawl intensifies to double that, but neither would I be part of that.

I would be inclined to move to a smaller city. Just me though as not a fan of the suburban scenario as described.

When my other half worked in Perth it took him 50 mins to get from home to work, total 26km. Our friend lives 11km from Perth and it takes him as long to get to work. Distance isn't necessarily as important as the infrastructure available.

When my other half worked in Perth it took him 50 mins to get from home to work, total 26km. Our friend lives 11km from Perth and it takes him as long to get to work. Distance isn't necessarily as important as the infrastructure available.

Yes I agree with that. Problem being the infrastructure is not keeping pace with the growth.

Seen it all before and the cycle is repetitive. Just how the landing is going to be this time is what is interesting. Have certain aspects changed forever?

I don't think any aspects have changed, but the scale has been magnified. Whether that means the scale of the recession will be worse or not? I guess we will know when it happens. My dad spent most of his life working for mining. He was either earning ridiculous hours for ridiculous money or scratching for work. It was rare things were just okay.

Where abouts are you?

Misplaced reputation? Unknown suburb to most immigrants? No 'top' schools? I can't see it featuring in the top suburbs to live anytime soon, but for affordability, potential growth and 20 minutes to the CBD we think it was a good buy. The neighbours are nice and welcoming, no noise on a night, people say hello in the street and the gardens are well maintained.

Schooling might be be the thing letting it down - but year on year it's improving, and we don't have children so not a factor right now.

After having a scout around realestate.com I actually can't believe how expensive it is in Perth. Apartments similar to mine in Joondalup are more expensive than my Apartment within 5k of Brisbane City.

After having a scout around realestate.com I actually can't believe how expensive it is in Perth. Apartments similar to mine in Joondalup are more expensive than my Apartment within 5k of Brisbane City.

We all earn $250000 a year to compensate

The journey to aus has changed a lot in the last cpl of years for me anyway tbh,without getting the violin out,i "was" migrating as a cpl,but now im single,i wonder how many would still choose to move 10,000 miles away,at 51 yoa,as a single,also taking into account that like i said,i'll be mortgage free here fairly soon,but not in aus? it takes a bit of thinking about for people to picture themselves in my position

If that's your situation, I wouldn't be anywhere miles out of the CBD.

I'd invest in an apartment, and live the bachelor life.

No garden to maintain, good views, usually have a gym & pool onsite, secure parking.

Then you are walking distance to all the bars & entertainment. There will always be something going on right on your doorstep, to get you out the house.

If you are out in the sticks, it'd be very easy to fall into the "cant be arsed" mentality.

Thats part of the trouble for me,"mostly detached",now im single i dont need or want a big house,never did even when i was with her,conjures images of me living on egg on toast to pay for the place ,and thats not how i want to live,house prices in aus do put me off a bit if im honest,all subjective i suppose,what your getting per sq ft compared to here,factor in ave wage etc etc

I know you're not supposed to do it but!450 thou aus $ is roughly 250 thou £ ? i suppose thats not bad really for what you have,but way more than i need,tbh i think im about ready to just get a flat soon,more than likely here or Spain,as cant see my place selling by august,there doesnt seem as much choice over there of smaller properties,but thats just from glances on real estate sites if im honest,and properties are cheaper where i was planning on going as well to be fair

Sounds like you would be pretty happy in an apartment here pabs. Like you say mate, how much room do you need when you are single. Might not be like that for long once you get here anyway mate, judging by how many ladies seem to like your posts.:wink:

I think some of the prices mentioned are a bit over the top. There are lots of places in fairly new suburbs where you can get a good 3x1 for around $350,000 and about 30 mins from Perth. Not going to be near the beach but nowhere is that far from it if you have a car.

Well i certainly dont act my age for shame,but whether i'd want to be around dozens of back packers is another matter,ive just posted that i dont mind realism,but are you being 100% realistic or just a touch cynical? im not taking "sides" btw,i cant because i dont live there or know who is being more realistic than whoever

Don't think you'd be amongst many backpackers around Joondalup pabs. It's turning into a City before our eyes. We live about 15 mins (tops) away and can't believe how it's changed over the last 20 years. We took our son to the old Wanneroo hospital when we hadn't lived here long and it was surreal. Hospital was up a bush track, not very big at the time but excellent service, we drove through Joondalup when we got there and there were dual carriageways with lighting in the middle of bushland with nothing else there. They had chance to plan the City way in advance and put the roads in first. There are some really nice apartments and housing around Joondalup now, a lot of them occupied by younger professionals.

I went to look at a guitar someone in the apartments right in the centre was selling. I had never been in them before and they are a lot nicer inside than I thought they would be. Next to a park, nice balconies, nice inside, private lockup parking, modern fittings. Should be really, none of them are very old. Lots of pubs, bars, restaurants in Joondalup now. I could easily live there without a car if I were a single bloke. Good public transport in that area, even if you're going into Perth. Easy to get to good beaches, shopping centre right in the middle, great leisure centre and sporting facilities in walking distance. University in the City (some of my favourite buildings), police training college housed there, nice parks. Gets a lot of knocks Joondalup and I don't really know why. Lots of poms and you might think you were in England when you go to the shopping centre at the weekend but that's not a problem to most people.

And you have yet to prove this is correct by showing us where you can buy these properties with good schools?

col there are lots of places with decent schools a lot closer than 50Km out of Perth. There are lots around $500,000 and below in Craigie. Not a bad suburb at all close to the beach, good shopping, schools, close to the freeway, good public transport. Only checked there because it's one I thought there might be something in that price range. There are plenty of suburbs further in land that would be closer to Perth and cheaper. I'm sure you would find something that you didn't like about them though. If you're talking 50Km that's Yanchep and there are loads of suburbs between say Ocean Reef and Yanchep all the new ones along Marmion Ave. New ones going in all the time so plenty of competition.

Don't have to live near Perth either, not everyone works there, Joondalup would be employing a lot of people now.

Not got much experience with South of the River as I don't get down there very much. I would imagine it's the same sort of deal there. Been to Secret Harbour a few times and thought how nice it is there. Sure I could easily have settled there too.

Perth is where everyone i know has migrated to,owing to the fact i'll likely be working outside i opted for somewhere more seasonal in SA tho,as im not a massive sun lover tbh,but my older PR 136 allows me to go anywhere,so ive been taking a bit more interest in Perth as i know theres more work there,at seemingly a higher rate than SA,whether this it cancelled out by the higher property/rental prices tho i wouldn't know,SA does seem a fair bit cheaper tho to be fair

Another reason ive been looking at Perth a bit more is there seems a good gang on here from there,so who knows?

Like i say tho,the whole thing is dependant on my hse selling,so i may well be worrying about something that might not come to fruition anyway,in fact it likely wont,thats me just being realistic,not negative

The journey to aus has changed a lot in the last cpl of years for me anyway tbh,without getting the violin out,i "was" migrating as a cpl,but now im single,i wonder how many would still choose to move 10,000 miles away,at 51 yoa,as a single,also taking into account that like i said,i'll be mortgage free here fairly soon,but not in aus? it takes a bit of thinking about for people to picture themselves in my position

As it is,im still going to have one last go tho,but it "doesn't" make financial sense tbh,but then ive never been "that" arsed about money,more an easier life,being mortgage free here will allow me that easier life,so if i dont make it to aus,i'll console nyself with that fact,and maybe look to buy an apartment outright in Spain while prices are so low,we'll see!

51, single with a bit of collateral and no-one else to worry about sounds like a great time to emigrate to me pabs. You only live once mate, what's the worst that can happen? You don't like it and move back, at least you will have an adventure. Perth is a much better timezone to watch the EPL live too.:wink:

WA is still OK for the moment. The full scale of the coming bust after the boom inst here yet 2 more years it will come..... the current projects are being dragged out much longer than expected. The oil companies didnt account for the work ethic over here hehe

That's some distance out though. I think no one claims living far out isn't cheapish.

23Km isn't that far flag. To say that col has been saying you can't buy anything decent within 50Km for less than 500k kind of blows that argument out of the water. HH tried to post a link to reiwa that he didn't like and I did a couple of searches this morning in suburbs a lot closer than 50Km and there are still stacks of properties below 500K.

I think col IS saying that living far out isn't cheapish. If you want to go 50km out and spend 500K in Yanchep you could get a mansion. Just done a quick search for Yanchep properties.

http://www.realestate.com.au/buy/in-yanchep,+wa+6035/list-1

There is a really nice looking 3x2 for $365,596. He's been after a bit of proof and if you have a browse round that one page you can see that $500,00k in Yanchep. 48Km out according to the suburb guide, would get you a good property.

Average price in perth Is 550 ( I think) so there must be something about your place that makes it 130000 under average price

Average price is lifted a lot by the multi million dollar mansions along the Coast roads and round the river suburbs. There are some places around Perth and Freo that are beyond most people wildest dreams. Even some of the properties in Mindarie, with their own boat ramps would be raising the average price a lot.

12 months ago prices looked ok'ish compared to now, and that's just it they will always go up never down regardless of where you rest your hat.

Not necessarily P&D. That's the same argument they tried to sell in the UK and America. We've seen house prices peak and drop back here when the GFC hit. Some friends of ours moved from Craigie to Iluka as a lot of people panicked a bit and prices dropped suddenly. I think at the time the expectation was for a big decline that never came. Prices bounced back fairly quickly when Aus wasn't that affected by the GFC.

Their house is looking like a real bargain now but they took a risk which paid off.

Archived