Perth (like or dislike)

Wannabeinaussie

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes!!

That'll get you through the first quarter but probably not a lot longer. Expenses tend to mount arriving in a new place from unexpected quarters.

At least you have some leeway in order to establish an abode and seek out work. Not sure if you've something already lined up? If so you've few worries once an income flow starts.

Above poster correct. It used to be a burb that attracted the young and the issues around that particular group. Still a little dodgy but plans are a foot to upgrade the area, as well they might, considering the massive prices asked to live there now.

I always find it difficult to advise on how much but an average wage may prove a little tough, unless of course both work. That should bring you up to the $130,000 to $150,000 mark which would prove fine.

I have no idea about the welfare payments in the form of child benefits you'd get if on a permanent visa, but child care would I expect swallow all of that and more.

I'd look carefully at the rentals on offer and see what (and where)you feel comfortable in paying. As I understand it, there has been a slight decline in rental prices which is great news.

Even if you plan to rent I'd advise only renting in a suburb you can afford to settle permanently otherwise the tentative roots you put down will be yanked out a couple of years down the line.

Otherwise agree!

Can I ask why Scarborough? If you have a two year old it's not really the best location - the beaches along that stretch are surf beaches so not safe for little ones so you're going to have a beach on your doorstep but end up travelling up to Cottesloe or Hillary's for somewhere safe to paddle :)

Very true. Not a beach for tots.

You dont get centrelink benefits if under $150. We're on significantly less and our small amount of family tax benefit stopped last year. We can claim half of our childcare costs back every three months though

I'm obviously out of date - sorry!

Childcare rebate is still a means tested benefit though, we didn't get it.

Even if you plan to rent I'd advise only renting in a suburb you can afford to settle permanently otherwise the tentative roots you put down will be yanked out a couple of years down the line.

Otherwise agree!

Another good point. Although I know some that prefer to rent in a good status suburb where they could never afford to buy. Modern day cred I guess.

Dont want to shatter you dream but if you want to be close to beach you need to look further north of cbd. If you can secure a combined income of $150 + then that will only afford you a place in Kinross/ Currambine/Butler /Clarkson comes to mind of affordability. Its about 45min to an hour + from CBD. Otherwise if you are lucky to secure income of 200K+ then you can afford Scarborough.

Or further South ;)

This might be useful for the OP

http://reiwa.com.au/Research/Pages/Perth-median-house-price.aspx

Or further South ;)

This might be useful for the OP

http://reiwa.com.au/Research/Pages/Perth-median-house-price.aspx

Pretty far south too I guess.. down past Kwinana area, which is quite industrial around the Cockburn sound and Grain terminal

A shame because the beaches there are nicer than the north and are shallower, finer white sound like Rockingham foreshore

or to get into good schools

A very good point, although I would have thought you would only want to move to a neighbouring suburb, especially at primary age if both parents work.

It could also cause problems down the line with getting a place at high school with friends and peers if you have moved to a different suburb.

This is why we opted to go private, we could live in a much cheaper suburb and not worry about catchment areas.

Yep. We moved into such an area when daughter was 11 in order to get her into the high school. When we bought went to next suburb east. Much cheaper and still only short drive away. A few years experience have told us that good school doesnt equal success for child. For youngest we will move again and consider private or other good public school in rural area.

Pretty far south too I guess.. down past Kwinana area, which is quite industrial around the Cockburn sound and Grain terminal

A shame because the beaches there are nicer than the north and are shallower, finer white sound like Rockingham foreshore

We lived in Hamilton Hill on the border with Fremantle, at the bottom of our road there was a cycle path to South Beach which was a 1km away - a perfect 'family' beach, with a brilliant cafe, playground and the ubiquitous BBQ's :)

Median house price around $500k and Fremantle on the doorstep.

Well we may have missed out then! But we got nothing and were on PR

You did miss out. Your childcare centre should have made you aware of it as it is available to PRs. We claim annually as it's a nice chunk of money to get back but you can have it more regularly or even paid direct to your provider.

edit: there are rules on hours that have to be worked or spent looking for work by both of you though to be eligible.

Yep. We moved into such an area when daughter was 11 in order to get her into the high school. When we bought went to next suburb east. Much cheaper and still only short drive away. A few years experience have told us that good school doesnt equal success for child. For youngest we will move again and consider private or other good public school in rural area.

Agree entirely that 'good' school doesn't equal success.

The 'right' school is probably a better way to express it.

You did miss out. Your childcare centre should have made you aware of it as it is available to PRs. We claim annually as it's a nice chunk of money to get back but you can have it more regularly or even paid direct to your provider.

edit: there are rules on hours that have to be worked or spent looking for work by both of you though to be eligible.

We both worked full time but too late to worry now :)

Dont want to shatter you dream but if you want to be close to beach you need to look further north of cbd. If you can secure a combined income of $150 + then that will only afford you a place in Kinross/ Currambine/Butler /Clarkson comes to mind of affordability. Its about 45min to an hour + from CBD. Otherwise if you are lucky to secure income of 200K+ then you can afford Scarborough.

What do you call close to Scarborough? Kinross/Currambine/Butler/Clarkson are maybe 45 mins from the CBD but only 20mins from Scarborough. There are better beaches than Scarborough too, closer to those suburbs. Joondalup is turning into a City in it's own right these days and it's not as if you have to go into Perth for anything, unless it's for work.

Nothing wrong with any of those suburbs btw and they would be a lot cheaper than Scarbs.

I’ve not really been to Scarborough for a couple of years (other than to eat at the new Sun & Moon place) but, to me, some of the area is a bit dated. Living-wise, if you mean the bit that goes up Scarborough Beach Rd towards Doubleview & Ossy Park, not keen. If you mean the bit that carries on along the highway to Wembley & Claremont, that’s nice, but you’re talking million dollar +++ across the board. There was talk of a $30M spruce up for the beach front area itself and I think it would be warranted. I don’t mean to say it’s crap or anything, I mean, it’s great, but you’re spoiled for choice really; I just think that there may be better these days.

If set on the area, IMO, I would look at the places either side of Scarborough e.g. North Beach & Trigg or City Beach. However, they’re probably a similar price range.

You don’t really have to live in the locale where you want to hang out though. I think some people occasionally place that restriction unnecessarily.

The younger you are the easier perhaps it will be. Most folk here go out in groups. Rather rare to see a woman alone in a pub. There is a large number of divorcees in Perth. Many with baggage. In fact almost all my OH's female friends are separated and that includes Aussie born and immigrant.

We touch on the subject at times and a number of the woman appear to have given up on the local dating scene. I should add perhaps all are over 40....if that makes a difference, I can't say. The comments all seem to be the same. Men only after one thing and not wanting commitment. Men offer another story. I find relations between the gender very odd here after living in Europe and having a lot of female friendships, which proved culturally difficult to recreate in Perth at any rate.

All hard work , full of pitfalls which I'm thankful to be a considerable time since I was part of.

Oh dear.

firstly, just because I'm single, it doesn't mean I want to sit in a pub on my own. I don't. I never have and I never will sit in a pub on my own. No matter what country I'm in.

Secondly, you can see from my posts that I prefer to call my 'baggage' by his name, which is Jonny. Please keep up.

Thirdly, I am over 40. And 40 is the new 30!!

And lastly, maybe I'm only after one thing from the male species without the commitment. That works both ways.

Debs (with a frown)

Archived