Ielts band 8.too hard ,iam a tradesman my skills are in my hands

leey

• 1 month later...

It was a great inspiration to read this as I'm trying again, it's only my second attempt but it's so frustrating especially when I'm a native! I got a 6.5 on reading and I need a 8! I am going for extra tuition tomorrow at £55 for 50 mins argh, I hope it's going to be worth it. I've been told it's all about learning to play their game and know the rules! The clocks ticking as l have 18months before l turn 45 and the dream will be over. fingers crossed.

Jules

Ieey,

I feel your pain, i'm in the same boat, I only need a 7 and fail the reading every time, took it yesterday again for the 2nd time and I know ive already failed.

So far: speaking 8.5 Listening 8.5 Writing 7.5 reading 6.

Reading: The problem is the practice material by the IELTS in book and online form is not in the same format for the exam, it starts easy and works up to more difficult.

The first 8 questions yesterday was matching headings to 10 paragraphs, which completely through me. That's twice now its started with the same format. The practice material is not a true reflection of the exam, its way more harder, There are no mock papers that even relate to that and the amount is poor.

I'm losing the will to live.

Reading what some of you have been through makes the blood boil, after working out here for 4 years now it makes a mockery of having to take the ielts exam , 60% of the work force cannot speak English never mind write its a complete joke,

I have had a fair few guys on my sites who couldn't speak English and when you ask their mate if he understands you get called ignorant or a racist or a pom bar steward.

As for bricklayers off the list we can't get decent guys all flat out ,with the standards falling all the time I have never used so much brick cleaner in my life to make a job look acceptable. ( I am in Sydney )

There off all lists....will have to wait till July to see if they com

e back on...

I too am a bricklayer but just managed to get a invite before it came off the list. I expect you probably already realise but bricklayers are going on the 189 visa too on the 1st July so you can work anywhere in Australia if you apply for that visa. So it look like we're going to be in demand!! Lets hope so

Reading what some of you have been through makes the blood boil, after working out here for 4 years now it makes a mockery of having to take the ielts exam , 60% of the work force cannot speak English never mind write its a complete joke,

I have had a fair few guys on my sites who couldn't speak English and when you ask their mate if he understands you get called ignorant or a racist or a pom bar steward.

As for bricklayers off the list we can't get decent guys all flat out ,with the standards falling all the time I have never used so much brick cleaner in my life to make a job look acceptable. ( I am in Sydney )

Fair comment, but the other way to look at it is that the IELTS gives us a big advantage as native speakers in having a relatively easy way to get extra points. For plenty of the people we deal with (who aren't native speakers), achieving IELTS 7 is tough, and IELTS 8 is all but impossible.

When I went to sit my IETLS I was in a room full of non-British, and the guy next to me couldn't believe I was sitting the test, till I explained it was the system and I needed the points. Without IELTS 8 I would never have been able to come to Australia as I am an old fart!

For those struggling to get IELTS 8, hang in there, if it allows you to apply straight for PR, then it's worth it.

My OH sat the ielts test 4 times until he passed, he needed all 8's and he's a carpenter, plus over 40! It was the writing task he struggled with, he kept on missing out be 0.5 or 1 mark, this test really did ware him down. Anyway after his 3rd attempt he said to me it was the timings were a problem and spellings so he thinks he knows where he was going wrong as he was rushing on writing task 2. I said "its a shame I cannot sit it for you" and he just laughed and said 'you have got no hope your worse than me beings as you have dyslexia' ( cheers then lol) and he was right ( for once lol) Then it made us think has he???? So he sat a private dyslexia test £500 later and he was! So I contacted the IELTS test center sent them proof ( which was a 30 page report) and they gave him 50% extra time on reading, writing and 10 mims extra time on preparation for his speaking. Guess what he got, 9 in speaking, 8.5 reading, 9 in listening and an 8 in writing :-))) I'm sooooo proud of him he worked so hard and practiced so much. For the people out there struggling don't give up it's your dream pratice, paratice, pratice. Also years ago kids weren't tested for dyslexia, so if your struggling it might be worth investigating. Good luck xx

I don't see how it gives you a big advantage if you are just missing out by 1 point or even half,if you can't get here it's no advantage .

I will give another example from today ,

walked onto a site I am over seeing 2 Russian painters working ,I asked why they were on site today as I had contacted their boss to tell him the 2nd phase of the painting had not been awarded he had just taken it for granted that he was going to do it, told them that they should not be on site ,all I got was a thumbs up and big smiles and they carry on painting ,they couldn't speak a word of English. How they get into the country I don't know,one guy was in his early 20 the other about 30.

Thanks leey, tuition was helpful if I was doing the general test as that is what they went over, poor communication on the tutors part! So I'm now going back next week for further tuition on the academic. I sit that on the 12th July, if I don't get the grades l will go for the general in August. So fingers crossed. Have you got your visa now? Jx

jules rt,no visa yet .after all that bricklayers came off the skill list ..lucky for me there going back on the list 1st of july .so will apply for a 189 visa instead of the 190 visa.. gutted when we got knocked back..fingers crossed this time..

hi, we live in keighley ,west yorkshire .The tutor lives in colne lancashire...i dropped lucky she was really helpfull, gave lots of encouragment and pointed out all the silly mistakes i was making...