Help...how can we access uk digital tv channels in Ipswich Brisbane?

samdom1

Hi Sorry to ask a question thats been asked a million times before...I guess?

Can anybody explain what kit/digibox/streaming eqiup, will we need to get so that we can access iitv, bbc, ch 4 etc when we move over...we are'nt planning to live in front of the telly however we all have a fave programme that we would like to continue watching on certain channels, i.e CH4 Sky Living, BBC 1 ITV, SKY 1 etc....

Is it possible to have them on any kind of record/catch up device either?

Thanks in advance...Sam, Dom Emily and Dominic :wubclub:

A good VPN/Smart DNS will give you access to most of them channels.

You will get all the BBC channels/ITV live and be able to use iplayer as if you were in the UK. Your looking at £10 max per month for this. For the SKY channels you need a nice person you give you access to their SKY Go and you would be able to watch channels over the internet depending on what sky package they have.

Not sure how useful this will be with the time difference involved.

As for DVR type access, there is one company that offers this with some of the UK freeview channels, Filmon, i have no experience of how good their service is.

A good website that details all the options is http://www.eyeondemand.com/

Streaming over VPN is usually poor quality due to the distance from the UK. Smart DNS mentioned above is much better and you could use Filmon via that service. I'd suggest that you bring over a Now TV box from the UK which will give you iPlayer, BBC News, 4oD, Demand5. It's only 10 quid and Smart DNS will cost about $12 a quarter.

https://shop.nowtv.com/

• 6 months later...
A good website that details all the options is http://www.eyeondemand.com/

Streaming over VPN is usually poor quality due to the distance from the UK. Smart DNS mentioned above is much better and you could use Filmon via that service. I'd suggest that you bring over a Now TV box from the UK which will give you iPlayer, BBC News, 4oD, Demand5. It's only 10 quid and Smart DNS will cost about $12 a quarter.

https://shop.nowtv.com/

Hey Mark,

can you let me know if you have a NOW TV box and does it work over here...how did you get it going?

thanks

Got rid of it because too many repeats and too much rubbish. For the money you pay the value is appalling, they should take a good hard look at themselves.

Well they have just announce today they are dropping their prices.

But I agree they are way too expensive.

Having said that there is nothing else that compares with the breadth of offering they have, so if you are a TV fanatic you don't have much alternative.

Well they have just announce today they are dropping their prices.

But I agree they are way too expensive.

Having said that there is nothing else that compares with the breadth of offering they have, so if you are a TV fanatic you don't have much alternative.

I heard the reason why they dropped the price is because Netflix is making a move into Australia.

I heard the reason why they dropped the price is because Netflix is making a move into Australia.

Wowsers hope so, cos in answer to one of the prev comments...I did get Foxtel, and its pants! Secondly I moved to Ipswich to live with my sister and her family, and its really a nice suburb that we are in. I love one or two channels from the UK, i.e. BBC I player and 4 od, do they have those on Netflix??

We just use an old laptop, hooked up to the big TV (VGA cable, not all TVs have a VGA port). Firefox (or any other browser of your choice) with the Hola Unblocker extension. With that you'll get access to all the online iplayer type stuff, BBC, ITV etc. if you have a decent internet service then you're all good to go. No extra costs for a VPN.

The other free option is to wait for stuff to appear on YouTube. My Mrs regularly watched Casualty (she's a casualty tragic!) on the ipad streamed through Apple TV box to the big telly.

We don't like paying for stuff if there is a free option. :-)

Archived