Transferring to Australia with your own Company

jem32

Hey,

i know there is more than likely an easy answer to this but I have not looked at moving to Oz in a while.

I had given up on moving to Australia but out of know where a worldwide company has contacted me and I have an interview this week.

Its a sales job and I had a look and they are advertising in Oz as well. If I worked here in the UK for them are you able to transfer into Australia with your own company and qualify for a Visa. Obviously its if there was a way to transfer internal.

is there a visa route for that.

Thanks in advance Jason.

I know the 457 visa asks if the nominee is an intra-company transfer, but I believe that's simply for a streamline processing purpose other than any other short-cut to a visa. You still would need to meet any other criteria of the visa you were considering (position on appropriate occupation list, age, qualifications, health and character, etc.). I think the real advantage of an intra-company transfer is that you have a job lined up and know your sponsor.

I emigrated on a partner visa but have a lot of colleagues who came on inter company visas. The process Is relatively simple but the terms of employment can differ. One advantage if you have been with your company over 10 years is that you should get long service leave straight away if they are a good employer. However as a 457 visa (I think) your company can still do the dirty on you and make you redundant which means you might have to go back. I know a few colleagues my company did this to but you can get your own PR visa once you have been here 2 years. My colleague has just got his.

Hi

thanks for your response. This is what I was wanting to hear.

I don't have a degree and my wife struggled with the IELTS so I was looking for other options.

we were about to emigrate when I took seriously ill but that was 2 years ago and I am now back to complete health and not really thinking about Australia then out the blue I have been offered a job as a security salesman for ADT TYCO who have loads of bases in Australia.

thought I would check before going for the interview if I worked here for maybe 3 to 5 years if there was a possibility of going to Australia with them and if it was possible to get permanent Visa with that route.

thanks for your response

Jason

Hi there!

Just like the others mentioned, you may be eligible for a 457 as an intra-company transfer. There are actually quite a few advantages doing it this way (such as only having to provide an assignment letter for the nomination). However, you still need to make sure that you fulfill all visa requirements including that having an occupation is on the relevant list and that proving that you have sufficient skills to perform this occupation.

On very general terms, however, being sponsored as an intra-company transfer on a 457 can open up the doors to apply for PR either through the employer-sponsored pathway or sooner provided you meet visa requirements.

Good luck with the interview and hope it all goes well!

I tried to do this the other way - my manager in Australia was keen to keep me and it was a British company but because the terms and conditions were different and the Australia company effectively operated as a separate company HR just wouldn't accept it. This would have literally been the same job just doing it elsewhere though - I was offered other roles in the UK company effectively as a new employee but they didn't interest me.

It depends on the company structure but what appears one company probably isn't and a transfer may not be so easy or at least no easier than simply applying for a job in an Australian company.

Hi

Thanks for the reality check lol.

I knew it would be difficult as I am in sales to just transfer but looking at the company I might go and work for they are advertising vacancies all over the world for the job I would be doing here in the UK.

My question was how hard is it to transfer with a 457 Visa, do you still need you skills assessed as this has been my problem. No degree!!!!

Left school at 15 and worked my way up in Telecoms and IT and moved into sales around 10 years ago. I started a Degree but doing that and a full time job was just too much as my job is full on in the hours respect.

thanks Jason

My experience only: If you don't have the degree for 457 you will usually need 5 years relevant experience. After 2 years on 457 you can the apply for PR through transition route and you don't need a skills assessment. That's what we are planning, my BF hadn't finished his degree but has 11 years experience in the occupation that has been nominated.

Hi

Thanks for the reality check lol.

I knew it would be difficult as I am in sales to just transfer but looking at the company I might go and work for they are advertising vacancies all over the world for the job I would be doing here in the UK.

My question was how hard is it to transfer with a 457 Visa, do you still need you skills assessed as this has been my problem. No degree!!!!

Left school at 15 and worked my way up in Telecoms and IT and moved into sales around 10 years ago. I started a Degree but doing that and a full time job was just too much as my job is full on in the hours respect.

thanks Jason

Hi Jason

Generally only trade occupations from particular countries require a skills assessment for a 457 (the Case Officers reserve the right to ask for one though they rarely do unless it is required from the beginning). With regards to not having a degree, this will depend on the occupation you are nominating! You need to be aware of the skills and qualifications required for the occupation you have chosen and then see whether you can prove you have the skills without a degree (I make a very important note here that there are a lot of occupations where you NEED to have a degree and cannot substitute work experience for this) so whatever you do, make sure you are aware of the skills required.

If you go to a permanent employer-sponsored visa through the transitional pathway you will not be requested to provide a skills assessment (because your skills will have already been determined when you apply for the 457).

With regards to having to prove they couldn't hire someone local, this is a rather new requirement that was just introduced but there are a number of exceptions depending (again) on your occupation.

My advice (I know I'm terribly biased :biggrin:) is to talk to a Migration Agent who can tell you exactly what is required for your occupation and for the prospective visa so you go into it with your eyes open and avoid making costly mistakes.

Either way, I wish you the best of luck and it sounds like you could have good chances of getting to Australia through the employer-sponsored pathway!

Cheers,

You need to have a profession on the skills list either way and I'm pretty certain your company would have to prove they couldn't fill the position with someone local.

The testing of the labour market requirement doesn't apply to all occupations - and (to be honest) even when it is required the testing is pretty superficial.

A posting of the vacancy on LinkedIn or Facebook would suffice.

Best regards.

Hi Jason

With regards to not having a degree, this will depend on the occupation you are nominating! You need to be aware of the skills and qualifications required for the occupation you have chosen and then see whether you can prove you have the skills without a degree (I make a very important note here that there are a lot of occupations where you NEED to have a degree and cannot substitute work experience for this) so whatever you do, make sure you are aware of the skills required.

Hi Claudia

where does it tell you if a degree is needed or not? on the ANSZCO occupation my partner has applied for it says degree and /or at least 5 years relevant experience. Im sure its fine otherwise our MA would have said so..just geting a bit paranoid now!

THANKS

Archived