I move back to the UK 1 year ago... Oh my, I really wish I hadn't bothered!

Splash77

Certainly no new immigrants. More likely not before 70. Some of the more established folk that may prove true. Often through runaway, over inflated real estate prices though.

I could have retired at 55 very easily, but I chose to work on a bit longer, and retired at 61. We can do what we want, go where we want, and we owe nobody anything. The super is bulging, the bank account overflowing, the share dividends paying out well. And that, was achieved after being here for 30 years. It is what you do with what you earn that allows you to retire early. We have always travelled the World, seen a lot of Australia, and we took our children with us wherever we went. And, we both worked for an employer, so there was no rorting of taxes or expenses to get what we have. And, real estate had nothing to do with what we have got. We still live in our large home on acreage, and hopefully that will be passed on to our children one day.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a rather bitty pension provision - moved around jobs, been self-employed at various times, chosen at other times not to pay into a pension etc. and my PH is the same so tbh right now I'm not entirely sure when I could retire but buying a house in Australia at 44 meant taking on a 25 year mortgage again and a large one at that so I could not have envisaged retiring before 70. When I was diagnosed with RA and the very uncertain prognosis that brings it was a wake up call. We didn't move back to the UK for that reason but it has facilitated a much more comfortable future, we haven't bought a house yet but when we do, with the capital we brought back from Australia, the significantly lower house prices (in our area) and higher income (in my profession) then our financial planning will be based on 'retiring' at 60.

Whether I actually retire will depend on my health and my desire to keep working. I am self-employed and I am currently developing a training arm to my consultancy - I would like in the future to speak at more conferences, deliver training but not take on the hard yards of 6 month projects. My OH is a photographer (or rather was in Australia - just getting started again here) so we could have huge flexibility to pick and choose work and then travel. I still want to do the grey nomad trail in Oz :)

Guest Andover
A few of you's on here will remember me on here, how I dreamed of being back here in England, I wish I'd never bothered I hate it here

yes I was certainly looking through rose tinted Glasses when I moved back so fed up with this gloomy grey depressing lifestyle....

Well I'm making plans to come back and to stay for good...

god I was so close to saying stick your citizenship WHY I felt like that I will never Know...

moving back to the UK has learnt me so much in a way I'm glad I moved back because I would of always been thinking an daydreaming about being here but in reality it's not what I thought, I now know the reasons I left in the first place. I've learnt so much and realised after selling our home our cars giving up our wonderfully paid jobs it was the biggest mistake of our lives!

But I'm determined and I'm gonna get my live back in order.... Yes I have family here in the UK but I now realise you can't live in there pockets And they art gonna pay your bills when times are tough so here's to the future...

I never thought I would say this but Australia is the best place to live in world!!!

Sure is!

I could have retired at 55 very easily, but I chose to work on a bit longer, and retired at 61. We can do what we want, go where we want, and we owe nobody anything. The super is bulging, the bank account overflowing, the share dividends paying out well. And that, was achieved after being here for 30 years. It is what you do with what you earn that allows you to retire early. We have always travelled the World, seen a lot of Australia, and we took our children with us wherever we went. And, we both worked for an employer, so there was no rorting of taxes or expenses to get what we have. And, real estate had nothing to do with what we have got. We still live in our large home on acreage, and hopefully that will be passed on to our children one day.

That's brilliant for you with a bulging bank account with big shares paying out....happy for you.

To the op sorry it did't work out for you.

On the another note about retirement..... my old man retired at 50 in the UK. but got board after about 18 months and went back to work as a part time lecturer. He was one of only a hand full of people that could do the job he did before that, plant and systems engineer for the then National grid. The Americans come in thought they knew best and stuffed everything up lol. Happy days early retirement. Americans left up the creek without a paddle.

And you didn't pay off a mortgage at the present over inflated prices. OZ was too easy years back. At least in the material sense. I know high rates in the 80's didn't help, but I never found it hard. Many didn't appreciate just how so. Whether or not you participated there were rorts galore.

A few of you's on here will remember me on here, how I dreamed of being back here in England, I wish I'd never bothered I hate it here

yes I was certainly looking through rose tinted Glasses when I moved back so fed up with this gloomy grey depressing lifestyle....

Well I'm making plans to come back and to stay for good...

god I was so close to saying stick your citizenship WHY I felt like that I will never Know...

moving back to the UK has learnt me so much in a way I'm glad I moved back because I would of always been thinking an daydreaming about being here but in reality it's not what I thought, I now know the reasons I left in the first place. I've learnt so much and realised after selling our home our cars giving up our wonderfully paid jobs it was the biggest mistake of our lives!

But I'm determined and I'm gonna get my live back in order.... Yes I have family here in the UK but I now realise you can't live in there pockets And they art gonna pay your bills when times are tough so here's to the future...

I never thought I would say this but Australia is the best place to live in world!!!

I know how you feel I went back to the UK in 2011 and realised the terrible mistake I had made. As I still had my house in the UK I put that on the market and made arrangements to come back. I have an Australian partner and he has been so supportive and wanted me back. So I sold up and had my dog sent out with Petair and had all my stuff shipped out and I have been back 8 months but doesn't seem as though I have been away. All my family are in the UK but we keep in touch with Skype and Im only 24 hours away by plane so its not as though I cannot get back for a visit and as my kids said they have got their own familys now, my son always makes sure the grandchildren speak when we are on Skype so I think I made the right move and at least Ive got someone who cares about me here

And you didn't pay off a mortgage at the present over inflated prices. OZ was too easy years back. At least in the material sense. I know high rates in the 80's didn't help, but I never found it hard. Many didn't appreciate just how so. Whether or not you participated there were rorts galore.

I never said that it was easy FOC. It was ruddy hard graft, working long hours in a steel mill that brought us what we have. When other guys were heading out the door for the beach on stinking hot days, and the bosses were begging guys to stay back working on breakdowns, I was the one that would stay. When the middle of the night phone calls came in asking me to go in because they had problems, or were short of labour, I was the one that would go in, when most others would not even answer their phones. I was the one that was questioned on how we could afford overseas holidays, how we could afford to build large home on acreage, how we could buy new cars on regular occasions, and my answer was always the same, "By doing the hard yards". Nothing has come free in life for us, and the point that I was making by my first post, was that you can come here with little, as we did, and still be successful. It just takes determination, sensible saving, sensible investing, and a supportive family. And of course, just a little bit of luck.

CDU,did you ever consider the other guys might have had more sense than to keep slogging away,answering their phones on their "down time" and so on?Maybe.....these other guys did'nt place too much importance on materialism,and decided that they would rather be spending their time with their families instead.You've posted twice on this thread about your house,cars and so on.These things are obviously important to you,but probably not to anyone else.

CDU,did you ever consider the other guys might have had more sense than to keep slogging away,answering their phones on their "down time" and so on?Maybe.....these other guys did'nt place too much importance on materialism,and decided that they would rather be spending their time with their families instead.You've posted twice on this thread about your house,cars and so on.These things are obviously important to you,but probably not to anyone else.

Sure did Melza, but it was these same people that were whingeing about people coming from overseas and being able to do things and achieve things that they could not. No good being jealous of what others have if you have the same opportunity but do not take it.

Sure did Melza, but it was these same people that were whingeing about people coming from overseas and being able to do things and achieve things that they could not. No good being jealous of what others have if you have the same opportunity but do not take it.

Did people really whinge about immigrants achieving more than they did...really? Some people want a life and not to slog their guts out earning money for a big firm, good luck to you and all the money you have working all hours of the week but some people but more emphasise on spending times with family and friends, most people work 5 days a week and just have a weekend to chill and recharge , I think that's enough to be honest, if money is your god then that's up to you but you should not look down on people who do not have the same mindset as you.

Did people really whinge about immigrants achieving more than they did...really? Some people want a life and not to slog their guts out earning money for a big firm, good luck to you and all the money you have working all hours of the week but some people but more emphasise on spending times with family and friends, most people work 5 days a week and just have a weekend to chill and recharge , I think that's enough to be honest, if money is your god then that's up to you but you should not look down on people who do not have the same mindset as you.

It was not just the Aussies PB, but some of the immigrants as well. I think that some people are taking what I am saying out of context. Money is not my God, but by God you can do a lot more with it than without it. I was a rotating shift worker for the 30 years that I worked out here, so that allowed me plenty of family time. The money is obviously that much better working shifts, so as a consequence I was earning far more than some people who did not want to work shifts. I have never looked down on people who do not have the same mindset as me, but I would not tolerate people whingeing because they were unwilling to work hard to achieve what I had.

Now, I am on easy street, and many of those are still clocking in and out, and are still paying off mortgages and car loans. Each to their own. I would do the same all over again.

Well I guess you've got a point.My point was though you seemed to be placing alot of emphasis on what you had.For some people,thats really important.

Well I guess you've got a point.My point was though you seemed to be placing alot of emphasis on what you had.For some people,thats really important.

Melza, the emphasis was made on what I had in response to post 97, around retirement at not before 70. I was making the point that it could be achieved by working hard, and amassing wealth by being shrewd and not wasteful, but having a good time also. If I had wanted to boast about what I have achieved in life, I have had plenty of opportunity to do so prior to this. And, the point was also made, that a supportive family was needed as well as some luck. Also read posts 51 and 52 on here, because they too emphasise that hard work is required. It is not easy, but it can be achieved if that is what a person wants.

But you can "look down" on those who choose not to have the mindset of working hard and saving/investing wisely, and then choose to complain that they have less than you do. aka whinging. On the other points you make I do agree with you

It was not just the Aussies PB, but some of the immigrants as well. I think that some people are taking what I am saying out of context. Money is not my God, but by God you can do a lot more with it than without it. I was a rotating shift worker for the 30 years that I worked out here, so that allowed me plenty of family time. The money is obviously that much better working shifts, so as a consequence I was earning far more than some people who did not want to work shifts. I have never looked down on people who do not have the same mindset as me, but I would not tolerate people whingeing because they were unwilling to work hard to achieve what I had.

Now, I am on easy street, and many of those are still clocking in and out, and are still paying off mortgages and car loans. Each to their own. I would do the same all over again.

thats fair enough celt, each to their own, I am always skint and work just hard enough to live but my quality of life is great and I would not change it for anything, I get more enjoyment cycling in the cotswolds and taking my dog for a walk along the river avon than anything money can buy...I don't envy people with money or big houses as they mean nothing to me, no pockets in a shroud.

But you can "look down" on those who choose not to have the mindset of working hard and saving/investing wisely, and then choose to complain that they have less than you do. aka whinging. On the other points you make I do agree with you

i have never ever heard anyone moan about people who work hard and have a nice house...maybe its the type of people i spend time with, some have money some have little but no one moans about anyone who has money...:eek:

I never said that it was easy FOC. It was ruddy hard graft, working long hours in a steel mill that brought us what we have. When other guys were heading out the door for the beach on stinking hot days, and the bosses were begging guys to stay back working on breakdowns, I was the one that would stay. When the middle of the night phone calls came in asking me to go in because they had problems, or were short of labour, I was the one that would go in, when most others would not even answer their phones. I was the one that was questioned on how we could afford overseas holidays, how we could afford to build large home on acreage, how we could buy new cars on regular occasions, and my answer was always the same, "By doing the hard yards". Nothing has come free in life for us, and the point that I was making by my first post, was that you can come here with little, as we did, and still be successful. It just takes determination, sensible saving, sensible investing, and a supportive family. And of course, just a little bit of luck.

As it does anywhere. Immigrants through perhaps their nature are often of the ability to seek out opportunities regardless of country. As you say with a bit of luck thrown in as well.

My comment is that the ease of achieving such success while still there has diminished, due to the high costs in more recent times.

Why would anyone with a degree of intelligence have any envy of such toys? The complaints may be more in line of the material nature being over emphasised as the sign of success.

Archived