I want to live the dream

Jonathan Prince

I only just posted this somewhere else, (facetiously, honest) about M********e.

Living the DreamA sarcastic phrase used to describe the pure boredom and bullshit associated with deployments. People who are screwed into being fobbits with combat arms MOS's are usually the first ones to throw this gem at some one who makes the mistake of either asking, "What's going on?" or "How are you doing?".

Random super happy guy walking into a center of operations: "Hey how are you doing?"

Bored fister: "Living the dream asshole. Thanks for rubbing it in."

For me I love the climate, being near the beach which we use daily, the free parking there so we can be down and parked within 50 metres of the beach in 2 mins. The parks, my time off work, every weekend, when we feel like we are on holiday, the kids have jobs, we have jobs, we can manage the mortgage easily.

It was what we dreamed about before we came. What we imagined the place could be like and it's lived up to our expectations.

Where we lived in the UK none of that was available and we used to pay for a couple of weeks every year where we had the equivalent of what we have here. Maybe not as close to the beach though, a foreign language to contend with and the cost of a hotel.

Sorry Paul....the idea of going to a beach every day (never mind the same beach) is my idea of a nightmare. Doubt if I have been more than a couple of times in the last three years.

Takes all sorts I suppose

Like you, I worry about anyone who thinks they will 'live the dream'. Work is still work, commuting is still commuting, bills are still bills. House prices are painful and its a pricey place to live. But given that you have to do the work, commuting, bills etc stuff somewhere, Melbourne is a pretty good place to do it.

Although i have used the phrase "live the dream" i am under no illusion that it will be a completely different lifestyle and i will still have the daily routine of commuting working and bill paying. all this aside Melbourne is an amazing city and i want to be apart of it.

Planit are actively recruiting for IT staff i have been in touch and they are running exams in the UK to find out skillets of candidates and move forward to the recruiting and visa stages.

I was in a similar position to you, being around the same age and a Software Tester. I decided to go for State Sponsored Permanent Residency. Victoria was (and I think still is?) the only State that sponsors Software Testers.

Are you still software testing over in Melbourne? do you know of any available jobs?

I was in a similar position to you, being around the same age and a Software Tester. I decided to go for State Sponsored Permanent Residency. Victoria was (and I think still is?) the only State that sponsors Software Testers.

SA also sponsors Software Testers, listed as "ICT Systems Test Engineer" though. Have a look at https://www.migration.sa.gov.au/snol_data , ANZSCO-code 263213.

As for the job openings, I'm in a similar boat as Jonathan, 10y+ experience in software testing, planning to migrate this August/September.

We've already got the visa sorted (PR), but any leads to secure a job before we fly out are more than welcome!

Sorry Paul....the idea of going to a beach every day (never mind the same beach) is my idea of a nightmare. Doubt if I have been more than a couple of times in the last three years.

Takes all sorts I suppose

Well I did start the post of with "for me" so I know it takes all sorts.

Hey, I work in IT moved back to Melbourne after 10 years in Wolverhampton, spent a lot of time in Telford too believe me Melbourne is living the dream in comparision to Telford anyone who says otherwise is a nutter :). Cant help you job wise I work for a very small team and didnt need a visa as I have an aussie passport. Good luck with the move, my parents came out from Telford in the early 1980's have never regretted it...

Please, as Lady Rainicorn says, drop the idea about "living the dream". Living and working in Melbourne is not a dream, it's just a place to live and work. Same old worries, just a different street plan. Some things are better and some things are worse than back home. But if you imagine it is "living the dream" you are likely to become quickly disillusioned.

Hard work I'd say and hardly a dream. Living the dream sounds more an alternative style of life to me, like a relocation to a Thai island or something really different. Melbourne suggests more of the same with hard work to pay for it all.

Hey, I work in IT moved back to Melbourne after 10 years in Wolverhampton, spent a lot of time in Telford too believe me Melbourne is living the dream in comparision to Telford anyone who says otherwise is a nutter :). Cant help you job wise I work for a very small team and didnt need a visa as I have an aussie passport. Good luck with the move, my parents came out from Telford in the early 1980's have never regretted it...

Called into telford on our way to the Iron Gorge......................Jeeeez, it's changed since I was last there 25yrs ago...............that shoppping centre (forget the name) is huge!

I worked in Telford for HMRC in the Plaza buildings for a couple of year before I emigrated to the Gold Coast nearly 5 years ago, hated Telford as a place, reminds me of Milton Keynes but with 5 babies to every teenager, McDonalds used to be packed with convoys of loco prams. So I think the OP will be living the dream if he moved to Cannock haha (that's where I am from). Life is what you make it, I have to be up at 5am to get to work in the CBD and get back at 530pm, still 12 hours out of the house. But I can lay golf every weekend as its generally not pissing it down and swim in my pool after work. You wont regret it mate, just tough to get in here, as the UK should have been instead its now the dustbin of Europe.

• 8 months later...
Get in touch with PlanIT - the managing director is Chris Carter, you'll find him on Linked In - they are actively recruiting in the UK at the moment to sponsor candidates.

Software Testing is not on the CSOL so employee sponsorship is probably your best option - make sure you are aware of the pitfalls of a 457 visa though especially if you have a family. PlanIT are a decent company though.

Don't forget though that a holiday is very different from living somewhere - there is no 'living the dream'!

Let me know how you get on with this and any other leads, I have now returned to the UK and set up a UK division of a Melbourne based company and my business partner has a lot of contacts in software testing in Melbourne.

Good luck!

Hello Lady RainicorN. You had replied to one of my queries. Thanks

BTW would you mind your linked in path or something to get in touch with you. I know posting mail IDs is against this forum rules. How can I contact you. I am a s/w tester.

Get in touch with PlanIT - the managing director is Chris Carter, you'll find him on Linked In - they are actively recruiting in the UK at the moment to sponsor candidates.

Software Testing is not on the CSOL so employee sponsorship is probably your best option - make sure you are aware of the pitfalls of a 457 visa though especially if you have a family. PlanIT are a decent company though.

Don't forget though that a holiday is very different from living somewhere - there is no 'living the dream'!

Let me know how you get on with this and any other leads, I have now returned to the UK and set up a UK division of a Melbourne based company and my business partner has a lot of contacts in software testing in Melbourne.

Good luck!

I know you didn't find it LR but I think you can be pretty close to "living the dream". Depends what your dream is but ours was pretty well fulfilled. We both love being near the coast and the Ocean, love sport, wanted our kids to have as much opportunity as possible, a nice house, be able to go out and use the Ocean, beach, bike paths, parks, boat harbours, pubs/restaurants with Ocean views. Because we weren't born here I think we appreciate what we have more, I know loads of the Software and IT Engineers I work with think I'm nuts when they ask what I've been doing at weekend and I say down the beach both days, ski paddling, surfing, running, mountain biking (whatever). Just about all of them are younger than me and for a lot of them having a good time is stopping up late at night playing computer games and laying in till lunchtime. They wouldn't dream of going anywhere near a beach.

For us every weekend and a lot of time in the week , summer and winter, is as close to living the dream as I imagined it might be before we emigrated.:cool:

Archived