What are the Aus advantages over UK (apart from the sunshine :) ?

Fishenka

In my experience:

People are generally more cheerful and less grumpy over here than in the UK. Ozzies seem more appreciative of what they have around them too (beautiful country side and coast lines - the Uk has this but it seems to go mostly unnoticed by my generation).

Young adults seem more confident professionally, there's a 'fake it till you make it' mentality (even when they aren't actually any more competent than their UK counter parts - they feel better about themselves and don't talk themselves down, which in many ways is half the battle when you're relatively inexperienced).

Where I live, people are generally fitter and more active, there's so many boot campers / runners out and about early in the morning, and there's much more opportunity to be active outdoors, especially water based sports (as the ocean isn't too cold).

There's also many, many gorgeous independent cafés in Sydney, in Uk cities it's mostly big chains (Starbucks, Costa etc).

Whilst there are the usual tedious processes and procedures and policies at work, there aren't nearly so many as in the Uk and they aren't quite so ridiculous.

Ozzies are also much more direct in their communication, which I prefer.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't even agree with many of the advantages that other people cite! My life in Sydney is not more laid back, or outdoor, or less stressful. How can you compare a city of more than four million with a village in The New Forest!?

We have friends who live in The New Forest and the traffic queues in and out are awful almost any weekend and certainly if the weather is good. You have to share this beautiful space with an awful lot of people which was a point made by an earlier contributor. Britain is a crowded island by comparison.

If you want to see a major sporting event in the south east of England you have to try to buy tickets months in advance if you can get a mortgage to buy them. In Australia everything appears more accessible.

Its so interesting reading different opinions of people,but as I have said many times before,it really does depend where you live in BOTH countries.Some of my own observations are:Someone mentioned only being able to have donuts and I think it was hotdogs at their car boot in the UK,but Oz was far more multi cultural food wise.Is that a fair compromise?From what I recall car boot fodder IS usually crap type junk food is'nt it?Thats abit like me saying,all they serve in Oz is junk food because I went to the drive in and all they were serving is hot dogs and chicko rolls!lolGangs of chavs on shop corners?In the 15 yrs I have lived in the UK(and I've moved around the country 8 times in those years so lived in alot of diff areas)I can honestly say I have never seen gangs of chavs!I've also never seen gangs of bogans in Oz either!This next bit annoys the living hell out of me in both countries ok?Firstly how brits continually diss their own country,and always assume somewhere else is far better,and secondly being in Australia,talking to aussies who assume their country is the absolute best in the world,and have usually never been anywhere else!I do like the positivity of Australians as a whole but abit too OTT about their own country for my liking.A balance on both sides (UK and Oz)would be better I think!:cute:As far as feeling crammed in in the UK,only been in two traffic jams in 15 yrs,and unless we go somewhere like London,never experienced myself feeling boxed in.On the contrary actually.We go for alot of walks,and are lucky to meet one person in hours!Guess we choose where we live pretty wisely!:wink:

Less intellectual snobbery in Australia.

I still see this as a good thing but it is not a 'classless' society as people claim - people are judged more on how much they earn/where they live rather than what they do for a living that's all.

We have friends who live in The New Forest and the traffic queues in and out are awful almost any weekend and certainly if the weather is good. You have to share this beautiful space with an awful lot of people which was a point made by an earlier contributor. Britain is a crowded island by comparison.

If you want to see a major sporting event in the south east of England you have to try to buy tickets months in advance if you can get a mortgage to buy them. In Australia everything appears more accessible.

Try getting tickets for the Grand Finals :)

Thank you all for your replies!

comments about space, weather and outdoorsy lifestyle were to be expected. Although I have to say (we live in London, well surrey zone 6 and commute to CL if to be precise) quality and variety of food and restaurants in Surrey/London are brilliant and it would be hard to beat that. As for chavs... Never had any issues with them being around or causing trouble so it does depend where you live in both countries I suppose. We are moving to Sydney and I really hope "troubles with bogans' is not going to be an issue

as for "less intellectual snobbery" that's a bit of a concern... We are more academic types and have more degrees between us than money :) which is not an issue in the uk at all. But if people in Aus are purely measured by how much they make and we are going to be looked down on by people making a fortune on mines etc than I don't really see it as a positive... That's a very shallow approach in my view...

If you have children there seems to be a lot you can do and many places to go for free or a very small charge. Some of the parks are out of this world and cater to all ages of children.

Cal x

I find there is much more to do in back in the UK especially theme parks- really miss all those loads going on. But which where is the park which is out of this world - that sounds good ?

But if people in Aus are purely measured by how much they make and we are going to be looked down on by people making a fortune on mines etc than I don't really see it as a positive... That's a very shallow approach in my view...

I was going to respond to that earlier post with the observation that this has not been my experience at all. But I have never lived in Perth (as did the poster) or any other boom town which has a particular attraction for the financially ambitious.

But which where is the park which is out of this world - that sounds good ?

CalNgary is in Queensland (Sunshine Coast?) Children's playgrounds and parks are the domain of local councils...so it helps to choose one which is generous and imaginative, :biggrin:

The advantage Australia has over the UK IMO is newness and intrigue, from a life that is known and lived in the UK every thing in Oz is new from the sights, smells, shopping, goods, food, people....the list is endless. The reality is that in either country you have to be happy, have work and security and a lifestyle. Each country offers this in but different ways.

Just about everything is better for those who get off their backsides and look for it. Many poms though just emulate what they did in Blighty and it doesn't work. Their loss

Not just had to ask how much does it cost, but also had to weigh up whether I could afford actually seeing a GP in the first place.... No bulk billing where I am bar for seniors and concession card holders. As for any non urgent operations - you either wait for a very long time and run the risk of getting bumped or use your private health cover and pay out of pocket costs.... for a two night stay my costs for a minor op (with full hospital cover) were $3K out of pocket..... I am starting to think that it is more sensible to not have any private cover and just pay in full if you really have to... My real worry is that I fess up to private cover for something urgent/life threatening and end up with crippling out of pocket costs..... No wonder the NHS is the envy of the world!

It isn't the envy here but then the ACT does get the best of everything. The diplomats from the embassies demand and the govt provides. The rest of the country is so far behind I don't know why they put up with it but that's their problem.....

In my experience:

People are generally more cheerful and less grumpy over here than in the UK. Ozzies seem more appreciative of what they have around them too (beautiful country side and coast lines - the Uk has this but it seems to go mostly unnoticed by my generation).

Young adults seem more confident professionally, there's a 'fake it till you make it' mentality (even when they aren't actually any more competent than their UK counter parts - they feel better about themselves and don't talk themselves down, which in many ways is half the battle when you're relatively inexperienced).

Where I live, people are generally fitter and more active, there's so many boot campers / runners out and about early in the morning, and there's much more opportunity to be active outdoors, especially water based sports (as the ocean isn't too cold).

There's also many, many gorgeous independent cafés in Sydney, in Uk cities it's mostly big chains (Starbucks, Costa etc).

Whilst there are the usual tedious processes and procedures and policies at work, there aren't nearly so many as in the Uk and they aren't quite so ridiculous.

Ozzies are also much more direct in their communication, which I prefer.

Direct indeed. After pom sliminess it's much preferred

Thank you all for your replies!

comments about space, weather and outdoorsy lifestyle were to be expected. Although I have to say (we live in London, well surrey zone 6 and commute to CL if to be precise) quality and variety of food and restaurants in Surrey/London are brilliant and it would be hard to beat that. As for chavs... Never had any issues with them being around or causing trouble so it does depend where you live in both countries I suppose. We are moving to Sydney and I really hope "troubles with bogans' is not going to be an issue

as for "less intellectual snobbery" that's a bit of a concern... We are more academic types and have more degrees between us than money :) which is not an issue in the uk at all. But if people in Aus are purely measured by how much they make and we are going to be looked down on by people making a fortune on mines etc than I don't really see it as a positive... That's a very shallow approach in my view...

Maybe I should explain a bit more, I was flat broke most of the time I was in Perth and I never felt anyone looked down on me - two of my friends were on the WA 'rich list' others were living hand to mouth as we were.

My point is more that your background/profession doesn't matter so much in Australia. To think that there is no divides at all though would be naive - the whole concept of 'bogans' demonstrates that but social mobility is much easier.

What I would say is that no-one will look up to you because you've got a string of degrees and why should they? But in the UK there is a respect for the well educated regardless of whether they have actually translated that into a successful career.

As a well educated professional I found I earned less in Australia in relative terms and I do think people working in trades have more to gain than professionals in moving to Australia.

Just to be absolutely clear I do consider it a positive of Australia and think it is absolutely right that an apprenticeship is valued as highly as a degree and that someone working 12 hour shifts in inhospitable conditions in a mine earns more than I did in an air-conditioned office!

I think young people, boys in particular have much more opportunity in Australia if they aren't the intellectual type.

The only place that REALLY gets the awful traffic jams is Lyndhurst, because it has no bypass and it's the meeting point for just about every major road going through the forest. On bank holiday weekends and Easter, it is even worse, but then I never drive through Lyndhurst at those times! One of my (sadistic?) joys was to cycle over the M27 on a holiday Monday and look down at the mega jams along the M27. But then again, the jams are just as bad on the roads in and out of Sydney on holiday weekends. Watch the news on Monday night and see the long lines of jams on the Pacific and Princes' Highways!

I would never go away from Sydney on a holiday weekend, just as I would never do it in England. But I used to live in the New Forest, so I could cycle or walk everywhere. From Marchwood, where I lived, I just had to cross one nasty road - the A326 - and then I was out in 'The Bush!'

The New Forest is the one thing that I miss. If I want to get to the countryside from Surry Hills, it means at least an hour by bus or train, just to get free of Sydney suburbia, but I have a dozen beaches within a few kilometres of my home, to compensate for lack of countryside.

The only place that REALLY gets the awful traffic jams is Lyndhurst, because it has no bypass and it's the meeting point for just about every major road going through the forest. On bank holiday weekends and Easter, it is even worse, but then I never drive through Lyndhurst at those times! One of my (sadistic?) joys was to cycle over the M27 on a holiday Monday and look down at the mega jams along the M27. But then again, the jams are just as bad on the roads in and out of Sydney on holiday weekends. Watch the news on Monday night and see the long lines of jams on the Pacific and Princes' Highways!

I would never go away from Sydney on a holiday weekend, just as I would never do it in England. But I used to live in the New Forest, so I could cycle or walk everywhere. From Marchwood, where I lived, I just had to cross one nasty road - the A326 - and then I was out in 'The Bush!'

The New Forest is the one thing that I miss. If I want to get to the countryside from Surry Hills, it means at least an hour by bus or train, just to get free of Sydney suburbia, but I have a dozen beaches within a few kilometres of my home, to compensate for lack of countryside.

I see what you are saying but the fact that you can compare traffic jams in the New Forest with traffic jams getting out of Sydney is really my point. It is linked to that hoary old problem of the weather too. A good weekend forecast is fairly rare in the UK. When you have one everyone jumps in their car and heads to coastal towns and places like The New Forest, Devon and Cornwall to name but a few. Once you get there if you can find a parking space you will often pay heavily.

I am not trying to criticise the UK because it is a fabulous place but I find it hard to believe that in Australia you will find traffic jams and little parking everywhere you choose to go on any sunny weekend.

To the other poster who has managed to find only 2 traffic jams in the UK in 15 years well, what can be said. Either you are in one of the more remote regions of the UK or you travel everywhere overnight. I have sat in traffic jams for a couple of hours that don't even warrant a mention on a local radio traffic bulletin as it is just par for the course.

I see what you are saying but the fact that you can compare traffic jams in the New Forest with traffic jams getting out of Sydney is really my point. It is linked to that hoary old problem of the weather too. A good weekend forecast is fairly rare in the UK. When you have one everyone jumps in their car and heads to coastal towns and places like The New Forest, Devon and Cornwall to name but a few. Once you get there if you can find a parking space you will often pay heavily.

I am not trying to criticise the UK because it is a fabulous place but I find it hard to believe that in Australia you will find traffic jams and little parking everywhere you choose to go on any sunny weekend.

To the other poster who has managed to find only 2 traffic jams in the UK in 15 years well, what can be said. Either you are in one of the more remote regions of the UK or you travel everywhere overnight. I have sat in traffic jams for a couple of hours that don't even warrant a mention on a local radio traffic bulletin as it is just par for the course.

I havenever experienced traffic jams like it in Sydney..if you think you won't be stuck in traffic that's crazy..an hours drive can take up to three hours because of the traffic..

Maybe I should explain a bit more, I was flat broke most of the time I was in Perth and I never felt anyone looked down on me - two of my friends were on the WA 'rich list' others were living hand to mouth as we were.

My point is more that your background/profession doesn't matter so much in Australia. To think that there is no divides at all though would be naive - the whole concept of 'bogans' demonstrates that but social mobility is much easier.

What I would say is that no-one will look up to you because you've got a string of degrees and why should they? But in the UK there is a respect for the well educated regardless of whether they have actually translated that into a successful career.

As a well educated professional I found I earned less in Australia in relative terms and I do think people working in trades have more to gain than professionals in moving to Australia.

Just to be absolutely clear I do consider it a positive of Australia and think it is absolutely right that an apprenticeship is valued as highly as a degree and that someone working 12 hour shifts in inhospitable conditions in a mine earns more than I did in an air-conditioned office!

I think young people, boys in particular have much more opportunity in Australia if they aren't the intellectual type.

It's now bleedingly obvious why you didn't get on here.

Archived