Top 10 Australian Foods

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

One of the greatest things about Australia is the fact that we’re comprised of people from so many different backgrounds that eating out can be an absolute pleasure.

We’re a sushi-savvy, Thai-toting, curry-loving bunch.

Even Aussie families with the most conservative of tastes will enjoy meals from a range of different cultures, so much so that we forget that the classic middle class family dish of ‘spag bol’ came from Italy, or that the fish and chips we might get when we’re feeling lazy is in fact an English favourite.

There are a few foods, however, that are quintessentially Australian (or else we’ll argue they are until we’re blue in the face, even if a few were stolen from the Kiwis!)*

With Australia Day coming up, there’s no better time to whip out a patriotic favourite to entertain.

Guest The Pom Queen

lamingtons.jpg

There's a bit of debate over exactly how the Lamington came into existence. A popular theory is that a maid working for Lord Lamington, who was the British Governor of Queensland in 1901, dropped a sponge cake in some melted chocolate when she was preparing dessert. Apparently the Governor suggested she make the best of a bad situation and sprinkle it with desiccated coconut to avoid messy fingers, and an Aussie icon was born.

lamingtons.jpg

Guest The Pom Queen

Sorry but I've never heard of Blue Pavlova

bluepav.jpg

OK, so perhaps there is some dispute over whether pavlova was invented in New Zealand or Australia, and perhaps it's looking like it might have been our Kiwi brothers and sisters who first whipped up this meringue treat. But you can't get more Aussie than these blue mini pavlovas in time for Australia Day!

bluepav.jpg

Don't think I've had one of these either

chiko.jpg

You don't know what you're missing. I stopped at a roadhouse yesterday on the Hume Hwy and had a Chiko roll, 3 Dim Sims and 3 potato cakes (all deep fried) washed down with chocolate milk. Real Oz food and delicious. None of that sushi and seaweed crap for me.

I remember a national survey of aussie's favourite foods when we first came here and that the meat pie (any meat pie?) topped the list, with pavlova second..................half the food in the list I'd never heard of and to date, I still haven't tried a chiko roll.

Like vegemite but prefer marmite and bovril. Drink a cup of bov every morning.

Hate the chickos. Would not consider then a food stuff

Prawns. No brainer. Will be doing them at the weekend.

Beef pies. Well, there just a Brit thing anyway. Love a nice pie - and a steak and kidney pudding.

We are doing snaggers on Australia day with maybe a burger.

$100 worth of Guyra chippies to go with barramundi...

Cheeky001.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

One day mate, you will have to cook one for me. All the ones (except one which was done when we had the masterchef crew on site) have been vile. In return I promise to make you the best chips you have ever had

Guest The Pom Queen
One day mate, you will have to cook one for me. All the ones (except one which was done when we had the masterchef crew on site) have been vile. In return I promise to make you the best chips you have ever had

Bob cooked us Barra at the side of the Keep River, I managed a little bit myself and it was delicious. When we visited the other week he cooked some fish and the boys have been trying to copy his recipe (they haven't quite got there yet Bob )

Guest The Pom Queen
You don't know what you're missing. I stopped at a roadhouse yesterday on the Hume Hwy and had a Chiko roll, 3 Dim Sims and 3 potato cakes (all deep fried) washed down with chocolate milk. Real Oz food and delicious. None of that sushi and seaweed crap for me.

Now that's something that I noticed was very popular amongst the vets when I worked in Melbourne, when we went out for lunch all they ever ate was dim sims and potato cakes.

Guest The Pom Queen
Hmmm, but Australia does seem to lack a signature dish. Maybe it could be an idea for a reality TV program?

What would it be though, umm idea for another thread.

Guest The Pom Queen
You don't know what you're missing.......was the staple diet as a teenager when I was growing up on the Gold Coast and surfing nearly all the time (Chikos' and hamburger with bacon and egg)

Are they like dim sims? I see them in the supermarket do you have to fry them? I might buy them for the boys.

Archived