For those who applied for visa without a migration agent: Were you successful and pitfalls?

Alena Cliss

To add to my previous post, if I'd been able to afford an agent I would have used one. Even if it was just to look over my documents to make sure I hadn't missed something silly or in case there were aspects I hadn't been aware of. It's one thing to go through the documents and websites looking for what you are aware of, it another to miss something that you simply hadn't come across.

Guest The Pom Queen

We used an agent and it was the best thing we ever did. I have seen a number of people across the forum make a silly mistake and be refused we didn't want this risk. If you have a straightforward case then yes maybe you could go for it alone, but if its something you really want then why not put it in the hands of experts.

I can certainly see the value of having a migration agent deal with your application. Either way, there is still a lot of leg work involved for all parties concerned. If I had the funds available, and wasn't such a stinge, I probably would have sought out an agent. However, I am a stinge and I didn't have the funds, so I have gone it alone for a 189 visa with de facto partner. Fortunately, I believe I have the skill set required for all the administrative side of it and only because I knew this forum existed, did I feel comfortable I could get the knowledge that I lacked.

I have found this forum indispensable thus far when it comes to the confusing or unknown quantities I have faced in my application. I am a super organised person, actually enjoy completing forms and writing lists and spending hours on the internet researching things. This is NOT for everyone and I am certain that there are people who really do benefit greatly from a migration agent.

If you get a good quality agent, I am sure you can sleep better at night knowing your in good hands. Also, I don't think they would take you on if they felt you didn't have chance? As has been said in above posts. Depends on situation, person, visa being applied for, who your are going with and how much funding you have.

I myself completed our 176 PR application and all other necessary things (including the professional assessment from Engineers Australia). It requires a number of papers (evidences), but everything is well written in the website and/or documents. So I didn't face any slightest challenge. Moreover, after getting my Case Officer, I get my every question answered from him within couple of days from asking. A lot many people I know from my organization have applied by their own and so far I know, everybody got their visa.

But if you are unsure, you better go to an agent.

Probably depends on the visa...I pretty much did mine by myself for the on shore partner visa, the only thing Paul did was write his statement and his sponsor form. It was fine really, just had to organise all our evidence, the stressful bit was getting statements from family, and that would have happened with or without an agent.

I have filed an EOI for 189 ( Independent graduate skilled) visa from India on 7 jan 2014. Initially I had decided to go through an agent but my experience was bad. I paid them to file the EOI and after a day they told me I was not eligible for 189 visa at all which was untrue. They didn't give me any proper reasoning for it and I kept calling them for the reason but they just kept on delaying it for 2 days. Then I just canceled my agreement with them as they were wasting my time. I have now applied by myself. I am confident that I could do it myself as I already have all the documents with me except for the police clearances. The only reason I needed a Migration agent was to be avoid any mistakes on my application. If you know all about the application process and documentation then it would be easy for you to do it yourself as these migration agent are very expensive. But if you are new to the process I would strongly recommend you to go through an agent.Hope this helps

I am certain my hubby and I have done this by ourselves but we decided to use an agent for 2 reasons: 1) We concluded that when you're already spending ££££ anyway to get to Oz, a few more ££ on an agent to make sure your application is as water-tight as it can be is worth it in our eyes 2) My hubby has an eye condition which means that his medical may not be as 'straightforward' as others...and so we wanted the 'best of the best' to ensure we had as much advice as possible on what to present to DIAC....hence we went to George Lombard in Sydney, who incidentally is not only a MARA registered agent but also an immigration lawyer highly skilled in appeals and visas when there's medical issues and knows immigration rules and laws inside out.

We originally were going to use The Emigration Group in Chester, but even they had heard of George and advised us to go to him because of the medical issue. Knowing we have real, Oz-based expert help when there is so much at stake (there's not just us but our 3 children) is a huge relief and we now don't anticipate there being any issue, even though there may be a few bumps in our road. We know we have the best help.

George is ethical, if he feels you can go it alone, and your application is straightforward, I am certain he would tell you you don't need him.

Thank you everybody who has answered so far..... I'm still open for tips and comments.

My husband is applying for a skilled independent visa - I'm his spouse and we have two children. I've found your help invaluable, especially de-mything those thoughts that a visa application has less chance of getting through than an agent-submitted application. We completed a complementary form on the immigrate australia site and a migration company contacted us and confirmed the type of visa we had thought we were applying for anyway, so I feel much more confident in going it alone. I loved the tip to check out pomsinoz if unsure about anything. And for any agents out there - this post wasn't intended to stir up anti-agent feeling, just redress the balance that you are doomed to fail if you don't use an agent. Agents have their place - if I was applying on my own, I would definitely go through an agent, as I was not made for organisation and attention to detail!!!! x

I also applied on my own and I got a 190 visa for me and hubby with no problems, pretty quickly. Even though my case was very straightforward, as I only claimed points for Ielts, qualifications, age and state nomination, there were at least a few very confusing steps in the application process when I had to ask for advice on the forum. The whole process was pretty stressful for me, but there was no way I could afford an agent (I'm a PhD student).

Thank you everybody who has answered so far..... I'm still open for tips and comments.

My husband is applying for a skilled independent visa - I'm his spouse and we have two children. I've found your help invaluable, especially de-mything those thoughts that a visa application has less chance of getting through than an agent-submitted application. We completed a complementary form on the immigrate australia site and a migration company contacted us and confirmed the type of visa we had thought we were applying for anyway, so I feel much more confident in going it alone. I loved the tip to check out pomsinoz if unsure about anything. And for any agents out there - this post wasn't intended to stir up anti-agent feeling, just redress the balance that you are doomed to fail if you don't use an agent. Agents have their place - if I was applying on my own, I would definitely go through an agent, as I was not made for organisation and attention to detail!!!! x

In fairness though I've been on this site for a while now and can't see any example where an agent has said an application would receive a negative outcome without their involvement. It's unethical and would quickly be taken down. Most are pretty open and honest and will generally say that a 'DIY' application is fine but warn of the dangers of not thoroughly researching the subject before undertaking it alone.

You have to remember that on a very regular basis agents receive emails and phone calls from people facing rejections or cancellations and pleading for help, which it is often too late to give. It's quite easy to look back on one individual application and in hindsight consider it a breeze, but to give the impression that each application or applicant will experience the same is just as bad as an agent coming along and making it seem that it is hopeless without their involvement.

Archived