Not going to plan after 18 months

fifi69

That's because its going even better than we imagined...

Here is where we are at 18months after arriving in Perth. Short recap NYE 2011 myself and OH decided we wanted and needed to try something else ie lets move abroad while we still can. While searching elsewhere he found a vacancy for Oz, it had never been on our wanted list but it came with a 4 year visa (457) so we thought why not..

it all happened so fast, the visa came thru, OH left and set up what he could over here, myself and daughters stayed behind for 6 weeks and put the house up for rent, packed, threw things out etc etc. We had no money for a container, so sent a few bits n bobs in a movecube, we even struggled to find the airfare truthfully but we did and in July we left.

The plan...to gather as a family after 2 years and see if we wanted to stay and see out the 4 years.

The reality...we all fell in love with Perth straight away. It had everything we wanted, stunning beaches wall to wall, cafe culture, a clean city with enough vibe for us and living where we got a rental, the beautiful Swan River at the end of our road. Wow we thought.

of course 18 months later the honeymoon period is well and truely over ....but that doesn't stop me from having "I can't believe I live here moments" everyday I'm at the river or beach, with the kind of settings that still take my breath away. 25 steps from my bed I can jump in the pool.

Its not been easy, don't get me wrong. We have had to start from scratch but we are getting there. First of all was saving money to get our two Labradors over, which we did, they've been here nearly a year now. Buying and furnishing the rental. Done. I've struggled with work, but I've been prepared to take whatever, sometimes its worked others it hasn't, I've walked out of two jobs, so awful I had to, but on the other hand the first Xmas I took a temp 1 week job, that ended up lasting 8 months, in Nov of last year I took a temp 2 week holiday cover post, I'm still there and although not official yet I believe I'm about to get offered a permanent post.

sorry for the longest recap ever...

now for the update, well we Didnt wait 2years for the recap family meeting, We went for PR early last year, pretty painless, it took about a month.

Well, in our eyes, we are Living our dream, we love the outdoor lifestyle here, we've bought fishing gear, kayaks, quads, motoXbikes and a Jetski every weekend, day off is a holiday for us. Now we have skipper tickets, we reckon a boat is the only natural way forward. A "school night evening for us, depending on weather is either staying in our back and being in the pool until 10pm, or if winter heading out and using one of the entertainment vouchers to have a lovely meal and a couple of drinks"

now for is the Australian dream still possible ...

i believe it is...even here in so so expensive Perth...:wink:

Out of curiosity I had a mortgage man round last week, so because I know people are curious this is what the outcome was. OH n I have a combined pre tax income of $160,000, on that the banks would lend us 1.1 million:chatterbox:

believe me..even in Perth that's a decent property. On the other side of the scale, because I haven't been in my job for 6 months, we can take my income out of the equation and we qualify for a low income, no deposit mortgage ....go figure:err:

anyway we have taken up that offer.....so basically for a $3000 deposit we can either go out and buy established or build a new house to our own spec. For those not here yet a $3000 is nothing, its a months or so rent.

so to finish...For us the Australian dream is still there. I'm still in shock at what they want to give us, we've struggled in the UK for 20 odd years and still have nothing more than a semi. Now I'm being offered the chance to build my own house , to my own design, on a block big enough for a 4x 2 plus pool for a deposit less than I earn in a month.

So for anybody that says you can't turn up with no money....or you will never get on the property ladder...then bollocks I say.

Guest Guest 47403
That's because its going even better than we imagined...

Here is where we are at 18months after arriving in Perth. Short recap NYE 2011 myself and OH decided we wanted and needed to try something else ie lets move abroad while we still can. While searching elsewhere he found a vacancy for Oz, it had never been on our wanted list but it came with a 4 year visa (457) so we thought why not..

it all happened so fast, the visa came thru, OH left and set up what he could over here, myself and daughters stayed behind for 6 weeks and put the house up for rent, packed, threw things out etc etc. We had no money for a container, so sent a few bits n bobs in a movecube, we even struggled to find the airfare truthfully but we did and in July we left.

The plan...to gather as a family after 2 years and see if we wanted to stay and see out the 4 years.

The reality...we all fell in love with Perth straight away. It had everything we wanted, stunning beaches wall to wall, cafe culture, a clean city with enough vibe for us and living where we got a rental, the beautiful Swan River at the end of our road. Wow we thought.

of course 18 months later the honeymoon period is well and truely over ....but that doesn't stop me from having "I can't believe I live here moments" everyday I'm at the river or beach, with the kind of settings that still take my breath away. 25 steps from my bed I can jump in the pool.

Its not been easy, don't get me wrong. We have had to start from scratch but we are getting there. First of all was saving money to get our two Labradors over, which we did, they've been here nearly a year now. Buying and furnishing the rental. Done. I've struggled with work, but I've been prepared to take whatever, sometimes its worked others it hasn't, I've walked out of two jobs, so awful I had to, but on the other hand the first Xmas I took a temp 1 week job, that ended up lasting 8 months, in Nov of last year I took a temp 2 week holiday cover post, I'm still there and although not official yet I believe I'm about to get offered a permanent post.

sorry for the longest recap ever...

now for the update, well we Didnt wait 2years for the recap family meeting, We went for PR early last year, pretty painless, it took about a month.

Well, in our eyes, we are Living our dream, we love the outdoor lifestyle here, we've bought fishing gear, kayaks, quads, motoXbikes and a Jetski every weekend, day off is a holiday for us. Now we have skipper tickets, we reckon a boat is the only natural way forward. A "school night evening for us, depending on weather is either staying in our back and being in the pool until 10pm, or if winter heading out and using one of the entertainment vouchers to have a lovely meal and a couple of drinks"

now for is the Australian dream still possible ...

i believe it is...even here in so so expensive Perth...:wink:

Out of curiosity I had a mortgage man round last week, so because I know people are curious this is what the outcome was. OH n I have a combined pre tax income of $160,000, on that the banks would lend us 1.1 million:chatterbox:

believe me..even in Perth that's a decent property. On the other side of the scale, because I haven't been in my job for 6 months, we can take my income out of the equation and we qualify for a low income, no deposit mortgage ....go figure:err:

anyway we have taken up that offer.....so basically for a $3000 deposit we can either go out and buy established or build a new house to our own spec. For those not here yet a $3000 is nothing, its a months or so rent.

so to finish...For us the Australian dream is still there. I'm still in shock at what they want to give us, we've struggled in the UK for 20 odd years and still have nothing more than a semi. Now I'm being offered the chance to build my own house , to my own design, on a block big enough for a 4x 2 plus pool for a deposit less than I earn in a month.

So for anybody that says you can't turn up with no money....or you will never get on the property ladder...then bollocks I say.

Good for you Fi, I wish you and your family all the very best.

Actually did LOL at the last 4 words :wink:

Glad it's all working out for you Fifi - we had a similar scenario, the bank will to lend us over $900K on a combined salary of over $150k - crazy. We didn't qualify for a low income mortgage as we were both in work from day 1 so that meant a 20% deposit or being slugged for huge mortgage insurance fees.

Don't forget a big mortgage has to be paid, we were on a similar income, had a $535k mortgage and couldn't afford the kind of lifestyle you have.

Be very careful with your building contract - if possible go for a fixed price 'turn key' solution, our build escalated in cost and that escalation had to come out of our pocket and couldn't be added to the mortgage. We'd spent everything we had on the deposit so it came out of our credit card :(

Don't want to be negative but since you are 'living the dream' I don't want it to turn into the kind of nightmare it did for us!

Your title had me worried then xx

It wasnt deliberate misleading title...it's just how I'm more surprised than anyone...especially as we came to this in our forties.

its a scary time to start over but I would def recommend it....

Glad it's all working out for you Fifi - we had a similar scenario, the bank will to lend us over $900K on a combined salary of over $150k - crazy. We didn't qualify for a low income mortgage as we were both in work from day 1 so that meant a 20% deposit or being slugged for huge mortgage insurance fees.

Don't forget a big mortgage has to be paid, we were on a similar income, had a $535k mortgage and couldn't afford the kind of lifestyle you have.

Be very careful with your building contract - if possible go for a fixed price 'turn key' solution, our build escalated in cost and that escalation had to come out of our pocket and couldn't be added to the mortgage. We'd spent everything we had on the deposit so it came out of our credit card :(

Don't want to be negative but since you are 'living the dream' I don't want it to turn into the kind of nightmare it did for us!

Get where your coming from LR...and now way do I want that kinda of mortgage...I love my life here in Perth, I want to carry on enjoying it.

but taking this low cost mortgage means we have a property in the UK being paid for and will have a house here for less than we pay in rent...win win.

As for new builds....yep I'm holding my hands up to being an amateur ...again I'm hoping we may be win win. I've looked at what's on established that we can afford, and its brill. Daughter is new build liaison officer at a well known Perth builders, and we can have her staff discount. So either way I'm feeling blessed that at the age of 40 lala we can basically start again.

love the Australian dream....it's worked for us....because we've worked with it...

Guest guest30085
Get where your coming from LR...and now way do I want that kinda of mortgage...I love my life here in Perth, I want to carry on enjoying it.

but taking this low cost mortgage means we have a property in the UK being paid for and will have a house here for less than we pay in rent...win win.

As for new builds....yep I'm holding my hands up to being an amateur ...again I'm hoping we may be win win. I've looked at what's on established that we can afford, and its brill. Daughter is new build liaison officer at a well known Perth builders, and we can have her staff discount. So either way I'm feeling blessed that at the age of 40 lala we can basically start again.

love the Australian dream....it's worked for us....because we've worked with it...

Good for you Fi, I'm so pleased things are working out for you xx

Good for you Fi, I'm so pleased things are working out for you xx

They are Hun ..to be sure

Getting started, even like us if you have zero money is so achievable...

You just get in touch if you are ever needing anything once you arrive!!

Nice to read a success story, was getting bogged down in the heading back to the UK forum there for a bit! Life's what you make it isn't it. Open mind, change of attitude and anything is possible.[/quote

Its true....it will only change if you want it too,but so easy to do it.

to be fair ..there are thousands of expats here....majority just get on with it and are too busy too post..

Had me bloody going there Fi! I thought, ****, I'm going to lose my only friend in Perth! :laugh:

So happy for you! You reap what you sow xx

as if I would leave you Lindy ...even though you don't answer my FB messages...

nah girlie n you are a PIO success story...we could be the first PIO lesbian wedding...

It wasnt deliberate misleading title...it's just how I'm more surprised than anyone...especially as we came to this in our forties.

its a scary time to start over but I would def recommend it....

Fifi we are in forties too, very comfortable lifestyle here but money cant buy you sun!!

Got our visa last week, waiting for house to sell and then we will be living our dream too hopefully!!! Daughter still having good and bad days still and 17 in 2 weeks time, but its just something we have to try!! xx

as if I would leave you Lindy ...even though you don't answer my FB messages...

nah girlie n you are a PIO success story...we could be the first PIO lesbian wedding...

I can just see us blezzin' up the Swan river on your Jetski, veils blowing behind us! Hahaha!

I was busy creating in the kitchen! S**t! I'm becoming domesticated!

Guest guest30085
They are Hun ..to be sure

Getting started, even like us if you have zero money is so achievable...

You just get in touch if you are ever needing anything once you arrive!!

You may regret that statement one day :wideeyed::evilface_frowning_s:wink:

Thankyou Hun :hug:

Archived