• Labrador
    • Collie
    • Staffordshire Bull Terrier
    • Whippet

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant decide what dog to get and need insperation and possible personal experience please, I need a dog or bitch that is energetic and needs to keep going for at least a mile run with me, needs to be good with kids (sisters) likes swimming, has to be loyal and intelligent with a happy disposition, this is my short list.

What about trainability, natural instinct (many of the breeds you list will have working lines and require a large amount of stimulation) and associated breed medical conditions and illnesses?

And what will fit in with your lifestyle. Do you work a lot? Odd hours? How long will it be left alone for on a regular basis?

Guest Guest40285

My Staffie is as loyal as they come, obediant and really friendly, never barks or even growls, hes build like a brick sh1thouse, my children love him and hes great with them, runs for hours and loves the water, Most uneducated people think they are aggressive, they are one of the most loyal dogs you will ever have.

Nice dogs but not that active I have heard compared to a lot of dogs, I need a dog that will run for a long time.

Our retriever runs forever! I think it depends on how much they get used to. He does sleep a lot after a long one but he keeps up walking/running with us over the Pennines for miles and miles.

What about trainability, natural instinct (many of the breeds you list will have working lines and require a large amount of stimulation) and associated breed medical conditions and illnesses?

And what will fit in with your lifestyle. Do you work a lot? Odd hours? How long will it be left alone for on a regular basis?

I can spend plenty of time with the dog I chose and the rest of the time it will be with my sister and kids, I will spend a lot of time training the dog and will train it to the whistle like my last dog, I need a dog with a lot of energy and staying power as I will take it on day long walks and long runs.

Guest guest30085

Get a lap dog. Faithful and always by your side. Will always take your side when faced with any opposition. Can get a bit snappy though, especially if you mention going to Australia.

but can they be trusted with kids ?

I don't like any of those pitbull type of dogs.

http://www.battersea.org.uk/dogs/staffies_theyre_softer_than_you_think/

They are called the nanny dog because of their love of children and the kennel club named them as one of the few dogs recommended for children

Anyway I don't know why I'm bothering to try and change your opinion.. I obviously won't. Just thought I'd put up a link.

My Staffie is as loyal as they come, obediant and really friendly, never barks or even growls, hes build like a brick sh1thouse, my children love him and hes great with them, runs for hours and loves the water, Most uneducated people think they are aggressive, they are one of the most loyal dogs you will ever have.

At least me and you know the truth about them :wink:

Our retriever runs forever! I think it depends on how much they get used to. He does sleep a lot after a long one but he keeps up walking/running with us over the Pennines for miles and miles.

Agree with this, had a retriever and would say nothing wrong with their energy levels.

maybe would need to put aside a bit more grooming time though, especially if running anywhere a bit muddy. Lol

Border terrier - these are still very close to the working lines and most have a high prey drive and if they get a scent are off. Down fox holes and goodness knows where else. Can be long gone before you realise and recall won't work if they are after a scent. Usually good with kids but tend to be independent and not really overly fussed by people outside of their owners. They are not usually trainable in the sense most people hope for but do make excellent companions if you are prepared to put in the time. They need a fair amount of exercise and are not the kind of dogs to leave alone all day or for hours on end.

Springer spaniel - lovely dogs but again, high prey drive but more biddable than a Border. They will require lots of exercise and are often happiest when scenting or retrieving a ball. Please don't consider a Cocker spaniel until you do some reading on the breed concerns with certain colours of the breed and erratic behaviour toward people/kids.

Labrador - if getting a puppy get from a decent line and from parents whose hips scores are good. However, pup may still end up with dodgy hips and this means running for extended periods may not be great. They require training and lots of exercise and stimulation. Usually great with kids but can knock smaller kids over and that sort of thing. They are retrievers so can be destructive with items round the home as many are also chewers till they get older and settle.

Collie - No. Just please no. Collies are working dogs and kept in the home environment often do not cope well. Sure some people are successful with them but hey have a herding instinct and waking them can be hard work and they needs *lots* of exercise and lots of stimulation else they go stir crazy. They are also often not great with kids. They we usually very focused on their owner and whatever their owner is throwing for them to bring back or some such. They can also be funny with other dogs and animals due to the working instinct. I have worked collies on the farm and feel that is the best place for them. Working properly, day in day out.

Staffy - a possible but get a decent one you know the history of. Also be aware people may view you differently when you own one. As in people can be nervous around the breed and if it's an overly big Staffy or looks more bull like, well, they can tend to avoid you when you walking. Also some of the breed are not great with other dogs, this is usually the males once they mature. Sure plenty are, but if there is a disagreement when out they can turn and do damage (as any dog can, though the bull breeds are stronger than many others). I've seen it first hand with a male Staffy who his owner swore had never done anything like that before and we had seen lots of times before without incident, yet it shook and tore into a dog I was walking like she was a rag doll. All because she was barking a long way in the distance playing with my dog and the Staffy came charging down and tore into her. This could happen with any breed though, it's not a breed specific thing. I had a JRT attack my make Doby once. Ripped into him, my dog was on the lead as per the signs. Other dog not. Yet people are more scared of Dobys than JRT's. Because JRT's look cute and small but many are snappy, yappy and bad tempered.

Whippet - this would be another firm no from me. Whippets are not long distance runners whatever you might think. They are sprinters and do well with short bursts if running off lead freely. They also have a very high prey drive and usually this is accompanied by a total lack of recall. They are not trainable in the sense of it for most people. They need companionship and usually fare best when kept with another whippet or dog. They are delicate and personally I'd not inflict young children (under 7 or 8 say) on a whippet. They can be very timid, nervous and panic around kids and noise. They get distressed. And also when out. So many whippets are lost because they get spooked by another dog or loud noise and are hard to get back. They do not do well being left for extended periods and are not hardy dogs. As someone who has kept them for a long time, I suggest you cross this breed off your list. Please.

Springer or lab, yes, possibly, those would be my two picks but I'd so plenty of research into both breeds. None of the others you mention I'd feel would be a good match personally. And I can think of other breeds perhaps suiting your needs/wants over them. Boxer would not be on that list though. Too boisterous for most kids and their owners. Plus they need careful management and lots of exercise and training. They can be hyper and it takes me a long time to mature and settle.

Edited by Guest

I can spend plenty of time with the dog I chose and the rest of the time it will be with my sister and kids, I will spend a lot of time training the dog and will train it to the whistle like my last dog, I need a dog with a lot of energy and staying power as I will take it on day long walks and long runs.

Then look at Springers and labs. Borders and whippets don't do the whistle thing. I can't say a collie (border type esp) is good for that either. The work instinct is too strong.

Whippets generally hate water and getting wet also. Very thin coated and skinned so will chill and freeze easily if cold. They avoid it where possible and won't even venture up the garden to pee when it's raining. They don't match what you are after IMHO.

I know plenty of people with labs and Springers, long walks, go running with their owner and easy going generally good natured. If anything the springer would win out for me as smaller and I think more biddable. Worked both.

Dog springer, bitch lab if you are wanting to consider either breed IMHO.

Edited by Guest

Guest guest41161

Another vote for Golden Retriever. Our 4 month old boy has bags of energy, and has been pulled around by my 6 year old daughter for 2 months with never a snap or growl to come from him. Beautiful temperament and a bouncing ball of fur every day.

A cross breed because it will be healthier, stronger and energetic, probably a hunter cross because they like water and like to run. Problem with pedigrees these days too many inherited problems and needing certificates for this and that and then there is no guarantee. My friend has two golden retrievers one is fine the other has cost her thousands and now she cannot do the exercise, inherited problem. Poodles have eyes and ear problems and it goes on and on. So the good old pound dog is the way to go.

Our neighbour has a lab/border collie cross - best of both worlds, intelligence, fitness and energy of a border collie, nature of a lab. Of course, you could get unlucky and get the other way round though....

We've got a border collie/kelpie cross - lovely dog, loads of energy, runs for miles (even at nearly 10 years old), swims in the river - but I don't think I'd recommend her for a family with young kids, and she really doesn't like other dogs.

Maybe go to your local rescue centre and see the dogs/ chat to staff about what you want in a dog..I'm always trying to re home animals with friends..when I buy a house is like to get a dog and adopt a donkey..bit bizarre but true.

i had a border collie when we lived on a farm..she was fab...had a black lab as a kid, I was six, travelled for three months round parts of oz/Bali so we asked a guy on a farm to look after our black lab..sad story but he accidentally killed somebody in car crash, so shot himself and all his animals including our dog.

Both were fab, but I will say our border wasn't child friendly.

Edited by Wellers and Whitehead

Yikes, some of the staffie comments make me so sad. It is a shame that a bunch of idiots owning the breed have brought it to ruin. Like any dog, you shouldn't leave them unsupervised with children and I think it's important if any dog is going to be around young kids that you make sure you are clued up on its history, whatever the breed.

Also the comment about crossbreeds/mongrels needs to be taken with a pinch of salt IMO. Whilst I agree that any dog breed will come with tendencies to certain health issues, if you do your research and make sure you go to a reputable breeder who carries out the necessary health tests then you are taking a big step towards minimising heartache. In addition to this, accidental crosses or designer breeds won't mean that your dog is less likely to suffer for hereditary conditions - it just means that they could run the risk of inheriting poor genes from both breeds. Obviously I'm not talking about a full on mongrel here. (Sorry, went off on a bit of a tangent there!)

From the breeds you've listed, I've heard great things about border terriers with kids! Also if you want a breed that can run for miles in the heat maybe take a look at the Rhodesian Ridgeback.