Becsidaisy

Hey all,

My husband and I have just made the decision, after six month deliberation, to move to Cairns . It's all pretty exciting. Our situation is that I'm a complete Pom but Nick, though born in Devon, emigrated to Cairns when his was 10. He moved back at 23 to marry me (very sweet, I know) and now, after seven years and a baby (Jeremy, 10 months, also very sweet), it's time to go back. Nick's a dual citizen so Jeremy can claim citizenship by decent. I just need a spousal visa which is pricey but seems straight forward. So the count down begins!

Obviously lots of research needs doing and we're very aware that although Nick has lived in Cairns previously, he hasn't for 9 years now (he spent his last two years in Oz at the JCU Townville campus) and a lot can change in that time. We're in Cairns in August for my sister-in-law's wedding so will some reacquainting then. I do have a couple of burning questions though, any responses will be gratefully received.

Firstly, how did you tell you friends and family you were moving? We're facing a mix of elation from those living in Oz and real sadness for those to be left behind. We haven't told any of them yet as we're going to see how we feel in August just to doubly make sure it's the right thing for us (we're sitting at 90% currently). We don't want to upset anyone/raise any hopes if it's not going to happen.

Secondly, we've got about 18 months to sort through all our stuff and answer the big question, to ship or not to ship? What's the general consensus? We might buy some Aussie plugs while we're out there and have re-wiring party as a leaving thing (oh yes, we know how to have a good time).

Lastly, but probably the most complex, house buying. Will we need to live in Australia for a bit first to build up a credit rating or can we just dive on in? Is there any possibility of buying before we arrive? We have my in-laws (one of which is a carpenter-builder) who can check out properties for us. Or is that just far too complicated to even consider?

Great to be a part of this community! I've already picked up so many useful bits.

Hi Becsidaisy, Welcome to the forum. We've been in Cairns for the last 3 years of so and previously living in Melbourne. I think more people probably ship than those who don't. Personally speaking, we just moved over with what we could fit in the suitcases. I guess it depends of the age/value of your possessions (both monetary and sentimental) as to whether you ship or not. Might be worthwhile thinking about what materials sofas / furniture are made of etc as the tropical climate - humidity can be quite damaging to some materials - speaking from experience there, as some of our furniture from Melbourne really wasn't cut out for the tropics.

Hey all,

My husband and I have just made the decision, after six month deliberation, to move to Cairns . It's all pretty exciting. Our situation is that I'm a complete Pom but Nick, though born in Devon, emigrated to Cairns when his was 10. He moved back at 23 to marry me (very sweet, I know) and now, after seven years and a baby (Jeremy, 10 months, also very sweet), it's time to go back. Nick's a dual citizen so Jeremy can claim citizenship by decent. I just need a spousal visa which is pricey but seems straight forward. So the count down begins!

Obviously lots of research needs doing and we're very aware that although Nick has lived in Cairns previously, he hasn't for 9 years now (he spent his last two years in Oz at the JCU Townville campus) and a lot can change in that time. We're in Cairns in August for my sister-in-law's wedding so will some reacquainting then. I do have a couple of burning questions though, any responses will be gratefully received.

Firstly, how did you tell you friends and family you were moving? We're facing a mix of elation from those living in Oz and real sadness for those to be left behind. We haven't told any of them yet as we're going to see how we feel in August just to doubly make sure it's the right thing for us (we're sitting at 90% currently). We don't want to upset anyone/raise any hopes if it's not going to happen.

Secondly, we've got about 18 months to sort through all our stuff and answer the big question, to ship or not to ship? What's the general consensus? We might buy some Aussie plugs while we're out there and have re-wiring party as a leaving thing (oh yes, we know how to have a good time).

Lastly, but probably the most complex, house buying. Will we need to live in Australia for a bit first to build up a credit rating or can we just dive on in? Is there any possibility of buying before we arrive? We have my in-laws (one of which is a carpenter-builder) who can check out properties for us. Or is that just far too complicated to even consider?

Great to be a part of this community! I've already picked up so many useful bits.

Hey! Welcome to the forum! Myself and my partner have just moved to Cairns :)

Our situation was a bit different with regards to moving. I met Paul in Aus in 2011 when I came here on a WHV, we travelled a bit and when i was running out of money it was either separate and do a long distance thing or he come back with me! He's not an aussie tho he's British but with PR. So we moved back to the UK and then in in november just gone we came back out together, with me on a tourist visa, and then applied for my on shore partner visa app.

We chose Cairns but we wanted to live in Queensland in a reasonable size town but not too big (or too small). That was by the sea, so it was either the sunny coast or Cairns.

We picked Cairns because we liked the look of it last time we were here and travelling together and it's got a good enough public transport system for me to get about as I don't drive (yet!). It is a really nice place to live.

Obviously you get dodgy suburbs everywhere you go and i'm not too familiar on what is good or not yet as we've only been here 2 months.

Paul is working away at the moment and i can't work yet until i get my bridging visa next month so i can't help on the job or house front yet! I will though later on in the year if you get stuck. You've got loads of time yet anyway hopefully we will be quite settled by the time you arrive! If you need any questions answered, most of them can be answered on here.

Oh yeah about telling family....most of them took it well, my mum didn't bu then she didn't like it when I came out here! One of my friends was and has been a bit funny with me since i've been here so i think that friendship has died....but mostly everyone has been supportive and thinks it's a good opportunity for us.

Edited by BritChickx

When I told my family that we were moving to Australia they were not at all surprised. They obviously knew my partner was an Aussie and were half expecting it to happen at some point. You may find that your family are already prepared for a similar announcement and will probably take it a lot better than you think they will.

Regarding shipping, we are taking everything, including caravan, 2 cars and our cat lol. We have a lot of expensive furniture so its worth paying the shipping costs.

Guest The Pom Queen

With your hubby living here previously and family still here a I think you will know about most of the suburbs. You will notice a few changes but not too many. In regards to buying, tough one as personally I would want to see the area and house before I bought. In regards to financing, as long as you have a huge deposit you can get a mortgage ok. Have either of you work to come to and is it work you were previously doing in the UK? I would advise having a chat with Andrew Williams he has succeeded in getting a number of our members their mortgage. He has a section on here under Vista.

In regards to shipping furniture out, if you were coming to Melbourne I would say yes. Coming to Cairns it depends on the quality of your furniture. Cotton sofas end up covered in mould, suede is ok, also chip board doesn't do to well. Things are more expensive in Cairns. Have a look at Super A Mart and Harvey Norman they are the main places people go to for furniture here. Also Good Guys for white goods.

• 5 months later...

We moved to Cairns from Perth last year and lasted 9 months before moving back to Perth! Some people it's a good move..for us sadly it wasn't! For us it was more expensive, medical care wasn't as good, it's extremely hard to get a job..2nd highest unemployment rate in the country last I heard....yes it beautiful...cairns itself is quite run down, the council make some bad decisions in my opinion...suburbs to avoid are those suburbs that start with a 'm'...I was told this before I moved and I consider that correct information still current! Electric is near on 3times what I pay in Rockingham...

im so relived we didn't buy here or move our stuff over! Renting first, getting a feel for the place is the best idea... Good luck!