5 years in

HappyHeart

So I thought it was time to do an update...for those who know our story... my apologies for repeating myself but it might interest some..maybe?!

In a few weeks time we will attend our citizenship ceremonies and become 'Australians' and also celebrate our 5 year anniversary of moving to Perth.

For those unfamiliar with us...me..nurse late 30s..hubby...2 kids 16 and 7.

Moved to Perth Jan 09..I was sponsored on a temp visa to work full time at the local hospital. We immediately fell in love with perth. Had a long honeymoon period. All was good. Hubby took a while to find work but once he did we started to prosper. Bought a house after 18 months (came with virtually nothing) Continue to progress in our careers...I'm doing a masters Degree with full funding.

We've had a lot of visitors and returned to the UK last year for the first time. Loved it. Found it difficult to settle again once back...missing people more than anything.

Troubles with our eldest....would it have happened if we'd stayed in England? She often says wishes we had...probably a reaction to how she is at the present time rather than anything else....

Reflections and thoughts on life here...

It's a nice life...like the weather..people...landscape...vibe..culture. Suits us here.

I do think we took our home land for granted and if someone offered us a place in rural Britain...I think my heart would say yes and my head would say no.

Emigration can be a double edged sword. It gives you this fabulous lifestyle but at a cost. Selfishness means we prefer to live here at this time in our lives but I would not rule out a return in the future.

Who knows what lies ahead. All I do know is that we will embrace it with open minds like we always have and what matters most is following our dreams and hopes.

Thanks for being here PIO. Part of our lives for 6 years xxx

Lovely post that, glad it's working out pretty well for yous, hopefully the eldest will turn it around for the positive soon, think at that age they are troublesome full stop aren't they? I know I was, didn't know what I really wanted and didn't even like myself never mind any bugger else.

Good for yous, positive attitude and never say never to anything that may lie ahead, long may it continue xx

Lovely post. I remember sending you a pm all those years ago asking "Is it as bad as all the doom and gloom merchants say. Are we going to starve?" That was probably over 4 years ago and neither of us has ! Well done Fi for doing so well I know your hard work and dedication will always pay off. As for the 16 year old Daughter issue, well b@ggered if I know, still trying to work that one out with my two daughters and they are now 19 & 23 :laugh:

Lovely post to read. Sounds like everything has come together and Australia has offered you possibly opportunities that may not have occurred. Well done on the masters degree, and fantastic you were able to get a property within 18 months of moving. Lovely to read a positive post. I think you appreciate something more when you leave it and go back and see it in a different light. Continue being happy :)

Archived