24,000 families claiming benefit for 40,000 children living abroad.

simmo

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is an unfortunate consequence of a uuniversal benefit it seems. Would be surprised if any country's citizens would support paying a benefit to dependents living in another country. Being against this is not anti-immigrant.

The problem is that people are labelled as such if they hold those opinions. The main reason why so few comment on topics like these. Just have to see the personal attacks I've received, thinly veiled accusations of being racist, references to BNP personal information broadcast,,,

The problem is that people are labelled as such if they hold those opinions. The main reason why so few comment on topics like these. Just have to see the personal attacks I've received, thinly veiled accusations of being racist, references to BNP personal information broadcast,,,

I try to avoid being personal on any debate but I sense that you quite enjoy it though Simmo. You are always courting controversy in these threads and dangling the bait.

I try to avoid being personal on any debate but I sense that you quite enjoy it though Simmo. You are always courting controversy in these threads and dangling the bait.

I do enjoy exposing people in their true light. Hypocrisy is one of my pet hates.

I do enjoy exposing people in their true light. Hypocrisy is one of my pet hates.

I am getting drawn in I know but I don't see much evidence of hypocrisy, just people with different views. The debates would be more interesting though if they didn't continuously degenerate into slanging matches or personal attacks. Once that happens I tend to lose interest.

Damn that political correctness. If only people who continually posted disparaging stories about ethnic minorities were not unfairly labelled as having an agenda - the world would be a much nicer place for us all.

Yep if only people would play the ball not the player.

Just one question. If say the father is over in the UK and working and claiming child allowance for his children back in Poland. What's to stop the mother who is still in Poland also claiming child benefit for those same children in their own country?

Just one question. If say the father is over in the UK and working and claiming child allowance for his children back in Poland. What's to stop the mother who is still in Poland also claiming child benefit for those same children in their own country?

Good point and this should not be limited to just Poland as it applies equally to any EU workers in the UK and we have large numbers from France for instance (though few are apparently claiming child benefit it seems). I suspect that many other countries in Europe do not have the equivalent of child benefit.

I suppose because of the threads you post Simmo you have to expect that sort of response sad as it may be, but I am with you re the personal attacks, some of the two faced hypocrisy displayed by some is quite incredible.

Not just the tax payer. Don't you think the money would be better spent in this country ? say on tackling child poverty here?

There's billions going out the country every month to tax havens,yes i know its legal,borderline legal,having a concerted look into tax avoidance and evasion would top up the coffers to enable more to be spent on the poor kids,i'd like child poverty addressed tho yes,but theres 12 billion welfare cuts planned,i cant see that targeting these child benefits will redress the balance with 12 billion worth of cuts tho

We're in the EU,so doubtful we can get out of it isnt it,i guess Cameron will have to look into it if it concerns him so much

Guest Guest 47403
Not just the tax payer. Don't you think the money would be better spent in this country ? say on tackling child poverty here?

Just out of interest which is more of an issue in your opinion simmo Eastern European immigration to the UK or child poverty in the UK?

Archived