Work and Holiday Visa Am i *Likely* To get asked for proof of funds given my circumstances?

arkansasgoneaussie11

So i have been granted a work and holiday visa, it has no restrictions attached. I have only been to Australia once before for 3 months on an ETA tourist visa. I have a return ticket for 11 months. I am a sharp dresser and i am a calm person. I do not have the proof of funds to enter. I have means to support myself but not in the form of money. (I will be living with my girlfriend the time i am here) My fear is being asked for proof at immigration and being denied.

Am i likely to be asked given my circumstances?

If so is there anything i might do? Like a secured credit card they might not check for the limit?

Would my girlfriend or girlfriends mom or brother vouching to provide housing and money suffice?

Or anything else possible?

Thank you all for your advice i leave soon and am deathly afraid of being turned away but i have no choice. I hope to get some helpful advice.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will have some but nothing close to the 5000$ Required, i'll be getting work shortly after. I have enough to support me until i do, plus in addition i can be supported by the people i will love with if need be. So like i said my only fear is being asked for proof of funds, and how to avoid being asked if it is likely. Thank you counting stars for your comment. :}

You are playing a dangerous game. You have said elsewhere that your real intention is tom come to Australia to lodge an onshore partner visa application. Therefore you are not a genuine WHV entrant. Telling DIBP that you will be supported by your gf's family will expose your dishonesty.

My cousin came in on a whv two years ago. He had half the required amount in cash, the other half on his credit card. His card was swiped to verify the fact. The process took half an hour. When they were satisfied, he was allowed entry. Personally, I wouldn't risk trying to enter Australia knowing that I'm breaking the restrictions (the law)

Guest littlesarah

I don't think I was asked for proof of funds when I came on a WHV, but that was 11 years ago, & I did have the funds in my account as well as some cash & a credit card (I was 26 & had been working 2 jobs to help save up for my trip).

I was really glad I had the money put aside when I got here, because it was a lot harder to get work than I'd anticipated, & even though I was staying with my boyfriend's family, I was able to give them something towards my board. If I hadn't, I'm sure they would have still let me stay but it would have been a bit more awkward for me. I think it's a really good idea to have a 'safety net' just in case a problem arises & you need money to dirty it out. But in saying that, I'm the first to admit that I'm naturally a bit cautious - & fiercely independent, so I always have a plan B.

Just giving this a quick bump before i go to bed. Hoping for some additional responses when i check later. thank you.

What are you hoping for? Someone to tell you everything's going to be OK. That you won't be deported from the country because you're trying to cheat the system? Sleep well my friend.

In your favour you have a return ticket to depart Aus.

Afaik there is no minimum requirement financially for a WHV but they may ask and do like to see some funds to show you can support yourself. Lots of people go over with little actual cash but have a CC they can show/use if required.

If if you have £1000 or $2000 in an account that is at least something. And a CC to back it up. The return flight is handy.

You can't really apply for a partner visa till nearer the end of your WHV anyways as bridging visa will only kick in when WHV expires. Lots can change in that time so I'd treat your WHV as that and if and when you decide to apply for a partner visa cross that bridge then.

You are doing nothing wrong applying for a partner visa while on a whv. If it was not allowed you'd have a no further stay condition in the whv. So don't worry about that part.

Money wise, I was asked to prove mine, but that was a long time ago. I borrowed the money so I had a bank statement showing I had that much, ten gave it straight back. I turned up in oz with $500 left. I survived and I didn't even have anywhere to stay.

Ignore those saying you're trying to cheat the system....nothing to stop you applying for a partner visa, LOTS of people do it, in fact i know a girl who will be going through the process once her second WHV is at it's end. If they do stop you you'll just have to explain that your girlfriend and her family are going to help support you until you get a job. Obviously they'll chase it up so make sure that they know what to say to immi.

My partner came over here in feb, he is British and was asked to show proof of funds.

Like some others have said, I think your playing a dangerous game considering the consequences you could face should they ask.

Also, I agree with the above, your not cheating the system by applying for an onshore partner visa - that's just ridiculous. As per my above post my partner came over on a WHV in feb and we will be applying for a partner visa in a few weeks. If we were "cheating" the system where would be a no further stay condition on his visa. I certainly wasn't going to spend $4,000 to have him come here and hate it (he hang been to australia before) so a WHV seemed the best way.

perhaps someone would be kind enough to transfer some funds to your accoun so you can show evidence. Considering you want to apply for a partner visa it's not worth it to not have proof should they ask!

Also, I agree with the above, your not cheating the system by applying for an onshore partner visa - that's just ridiculous. As per my above post my partner came over on a WHV in feb and we will be applying for a partner visa in a few weeks. If we were "cheating" the system where would be a no further stay condition on his visa. I certainly wasn't going to spend $4,000 to have him come here and hate it (he hang been to australia before) so a WHV seemed the best way.

perhaps someone would be kind enough to transfer some funds to your accoun so you can show evidence. Considering you want to apply for a partner visa it's not worth it to not have proof should they ask!

I know of no one capable or willing to transfer the funds to me for a bank statement. If that were possible it would be like a prayer answered from heaven. But no such luck. Thank you all for your posts. it seems i am very desperate and ina tight spot. i appreciate everyones responses dearly.

I know of no one capable or willing to transfer the funds to me for a bank statement. If that were possible it would be like a prayer answered from heaven. But no such luck. Thank you all for your posts. it seems i am very desperate and ina tight spot. i appreciate everyones responses dearly.

The conventional route for someone in your position would be to apply for an offshore fiancé visa and then apply for a partner visa after getting married in Australia. That might take a bit longer but at least you'd be doing it without having to look over your shoulder for the DIBP.

Most people on here are speaking about WHV subclass 417 not the W&HV 462 which states that holders without NFS condition can apply for a limited number of other visas while in Australia.

As this visa is only 12 months (no option for the 2nd WHV like subclass 417) not having a return ticket or and funds to support stay in Australia could see you turned away at the border.

the pmv route may have been a better option for you.

Most people on here are speaking about WHV subclass 417 not the W&HV 462 which states that holders without NFS condition can apply for a limited number of other visas while in Australia.

As this visa is only 12 months (no option for the 2nd WHV like subclass 417) not having a return ticket or and funds to support stay in Australia could see you turned away at the border.

the pmv route may have been a better option for you.

I know that definite answers are difficult, but do you think it is possible to have someone in australia vouche that they will give me the money i need to support my stay. Would that potentially satisfy? Again i know no one can give definitives but is it likely does anyone think? i could definitely get this and i feel as if this is a potentially good option for me

I know that definite answers are difficult, but do you think it is possible to have someone in australia vouche that they will give me the money i need to support my stay. Would that potentially satisfy? Again i know no one can give definitives but is it likely does anyone think? i could definitely get this and i feel as if this is a potentially good option for me

Why not have them transfer money into your account before you depart the UK? Then transfer it back once you arrive in Aus? If they have the cash and are willing to help you out, surely they won't mind to lend it so you can bolster your account. Plenty of people seem to do this and have posted to doing so also in this thread iirc. At least you'd have funds in your account then.

Just a few thoughts. On A WHV it will be hard to get well-paid work. Visa applications are quite costly so how will you fund the application let alone anything else?

If someone is going to vouch that they will support you why would they not put $5000 into an account in your name perhaps by limiting access to the funds. Your girlfriend's mother must be very understanding about all this.

It all sounds really risky to me but then I am the ultra-cautious type.

I think its 'unlikely' to be a problem. I certainly didn't get asked for proof of funds on arrival. And if you have somewhere to stay and people to vouch for you then i think you'll be fine. 100% guarantee? No, of course not. But does anyone know anyone who has been sent home on arrival on a WHV, for lack of proof of funds??

Archived