An Aussie Christmas!

jen85

This time of year has me thinking about how everyone celebrates their Christmas and New Year. We in Australia inherited alot of our "traditions" from other countries.

I must say I am not one for the Seafood lunch or day at the beach on Boxing Day. Coming from English parents even though I was born here we have always had the full Christmas lunch turkey etc and I love it, don't know any other way plus I don't like alot of seafood. We also converted my brother in law who is Aussie to love the full turkey dinner etc now he has to have it every year!

How does everyone celebrate their Christmas? Have you adopted Aussie traditions i.e. seafood or do you stick to your English traditions? If you have had your first Aussie Christmas this year how did you find it?

Personally I think Christmas has too be cold everything we see from a young age i.e. films and Christmas cards etc. has us thinking this way. I just love the idea of a roaring fire and snow falling outside while you eat a turkey dinner..:yes::xmas28:

Guest Guest40285

This year all I had was a ham sandwich and a packet of crisps, Was on my own so didnt bother with a huge dinner, Next year i have my girls so will go all out and have the big roast turkey.

i cant think of anything worse than a Christmas dinner on a hot day. I never liked doing a big dinner when I lived in England anyway. We have a BBQ breakfast with the family and have beer n nibbles as we feel like it. Its so nice not to have to do any cooking

Well we were veg for many years so it was usually a nut roast but once we went back to meat it was always turkey with the trimmings. Many Christmases were in Ballarat where you could get snow on Christmas Day (or roast in over 40 so there was no telling!). In UK my DH has discovered goose and vows he will never go back to turkey. Don't know what the goose situation is like in Aus if and when we do go back!

We had a BBQ which was lovely. We did Roast Beef, Prawns, Mexican Corn Bread and various other bits and pieces. It was a pick and mix! We had Christmas Cake at dinner time and still have not touched the Christmas Pud.

It was one of the loveliest Christmases we have had!

We had a turkey crown ready to go a week before Xmas but it was about 36 degrees and we couldn't be bothered, there's only two of us.

Smoked it on the barbecue, got some crusty bread, made some potato salad and had sandwiches...wonderful.

For Xmas day itself we'd booked a place in St Kilda...one of the only ones that seemed to do traditional and not just seafood. That was fabulous, $75 when most of the others were over $200 pp. Sooo much better when you don't have to cook it yourself.

We had roast turkey, but with a cous couse, chorizo and cranberry stuffing and covered in prosciutto. With it we had pigs in blankets (a must and the most popular thing on the table!), potato bake and 3 or 4 different salads, plus garlic bread sauce. For starters friends brought over a lovely prawn, avocado and mango salad. Dessert was chocolate pavlova, yum! It was nice having a mix of traditional stuff and salads, didn't feel too heavy but we were still all full especially after seconds of the pav!

We ate Waitrose Christmas pudding on wednesday as the temps had dropped from 40C to 23C.

Archived