Best books for the Summer break!

Phoenix16

I know this threads possibly been done to death but I'm touting the best books for this big lovely summer and Christmas break!!

I recently read Ben Elton's 'Two Brothers', I absolutely loved it, it quite surprised me not being a Ben Elton fan yet I would say it's been one of my best reads this year.

What books are you reading? What do you recommend for this lovely hot summer break?

I know this threads possibly been done to death but I'm touting the best books for this big lovely summer and Christmas break!!

I recently read Ben Elton's 'Two Brothers', I absolutely loved it, it quite surprised me not being a Ben Elton fan yet I would say it's been one of my best reads this year.

What books are you reading? What do you recommend for this lovely hot summer break?

i really enjoyed the two brothers its the only ben elton book ive ever read , just finished the new frederick forsythe book it was a good read.

for xmas ive lined up , tom clancy , martina cole , lee childs ,john connolly , michael connolly , linda la plante, and i have also just got a new author to try the book is called " the book thief" i normally read the latest bryce courtney on boxing day , which is really easy reading , but as last year was his last book , ill substitute one of the above on boxing day ,xx

Just re-read The God of Small Things ( Arundhati Roy1997 but sooo good- ) & A Thousand splendid Suns (Khaled Hosseini who also wrote the Kite Runner (also brill...) now on Someone Else's Garden, Dipika Rai.. my theme this year has been all things Eastern! loved The Book Thief too btw...

I have read that and it is an absolutely fantastic book, i have loved all of Ben Eltons books but 2 that stick out for me is The First Casualty ( especially if you like the war theme as in Two Brothers ) and also To Hell in a Handcart which is very funny but not very politically correct.

I am also a massive Steven King fan and i would highly recommend Doctor Sleep which is a new book and the follow up to The Shining, Under The Dome and 11/22/63 which is based on a bloke who can go back in time and stop Kennedy getting assasinated and what may have happened if he was not killed, brilliant book.

Also anything by Peter James who's books are centered around a detective in Brighton, always good value

I like peter james and james patterson

Peter James is great and his books are always fresh, however i have stopped buying James Pattersons books after i read Kill which is an Alex Cross book, it was absolute rubbish and is in my opinion a direct result of to many books being churned in to little time to attempt to keep readers happy, i used to really enjoy his books and in my opinion his best was an early book called The Jester.

Give this one a go Stacey, its completely different from Pattersons Cross books but a very good readhttp://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13157.The_Jester

I am just re-reading East of the Sun by Julia Gregson. I think I enjoyed it last time, so I thought I'd give it another go. I enjoyed The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini too. I am also part way through Stephen Hawkings autobiography which is interesting but a little bit dry.

I intend to re-visit some of my childhood favourites over the holidays. I have got our daughters books by Roald Dahl, Enid Blyton and C S Lewis, and I am looking forwards to reading those with the girls over the summer.

Archived