Australia's going to be the whipping boys of group B

paul1977

England's group isn't much better. How comes they don't do the draw so there is an African side, and Asian side, a European side and an American (N or S) side in each group?

They do to an extent,but Europe has more slots,so thats why a European team(Italy i think?)was thrown in another pot,to even the numbers up,each continent has a different allocation of slots for the world cup,Asia,Europe,Africa etc

England's group isn't much better. How comes they don't do the draw so there is an African side, and Asian side, a European side and an American (N or S) side in each group?[/

England won't fair much better.. We're just a very average international side.

Very tough group but I always think that there are chances in the group games, the big teams don't want to lose and play a little more cautiously, and the Aussies have noting to lose. I think any team would look at being in that group as a tough. Great experience for the players though to have played in a world cup.,

That comment just shows me exactly how much you know about football. Spain could put 7 or 8 past them, holland 4 or 5 and chile the easiest game but no push over . Maybe you should watch the AFL World Cup instead ..

Holland only drew with Estonia and Japan this year and only beat Andorra 2-0. Agree that on their day they can be great but their only big win since August has been against Turkey.

That comment just shows me exactly how much you know about football. Spain could put 7 or 8 past them, holland 4 or 5 and chile the easiest game but no push over . Maybe you should watch the AFL World Cup instead ..

This comment tells me how English you are. Save your pessimism for your own team.

Is there an Englishman who thinks England can win the world cup? I doubt it. Australians may be misguided. But why would you watch a game expecting your team to get beaten?

Because it called " being a true supporter" something australians lack.. You lot wouldn't have a clue about being one

The game of soccer is not popular among ordinary Australians despite what some may try to tell you. The Rugby codes and Australian Rules football dwarf it in popularity.

I couldn't tell you where the nearest club to my place is and I'm not far from Melbourne.

The extreme lack of depth is a major issue. We have had a handful of good players in recent years and they fluked a relatively good result in the 2006 World Cup. Beyond that there is no one of note who is truly up to international standard.

They will be annihilated in the upcoming World Cup, but at the end of the day few in Australia will really care.

Archived