Rental Agent Advice

Candygirl

I wonder if you guys could offer some advice or point us in the right direction?

When we signed our lease for our current rental, it was agreed at the time with the owners that a couple of jobs would be dealt with asap. It is now three weeks and nothing has been done.

One of the problems poses a security risk and the other could create a pest control problem.

We have now been in the property three weeks and our container is due to be delivered on Thursday.

I have been telephoning the agent and have been quite friendly and they have said they will see to it, but nothing has been done. Today, I have written quite a formal email to the agent today saying that the current situation is unacceptable and they need to get it sorted PDQ. We also have our first inspection booked for 6/12.

What else can we do? TIA

I would tell them if the jobs aren't done within 14 days you will get tradies in yourself and bill them direct. Whatever you do, do not withhold any rent as this can go against you if it went to court.

Ringing the Rental Tenancy people may help you too as normally a quick call from them and the agents jump into gear.

Cal x

Firstly emails are the way to go so everything is in writing.

We had an issue and after 8 weeks we issued a "Notice to Remedy Breach" from the RTA. That got the issue sorted sharpish.

We are in QLD though so not sure if things work the same in WA.

Good luck.

I once waited over three months for a gas heater to be fixed. I finally threatened to formally complain ( well it was winter), I later found out the owner of the house was also the multi millionaire owner of the real estate agency I was renting from!

Thanks for the advice.

Not sure why the inspection is taking place so soon. They have also said in their letter apt between 1.30-5pm and cannot say what time and that our dogs are to be restrained. Yeah right, of course I am going to restrain them for 4 hours on the off chance. Also, how do they expect people to hold down jobs.

In normal circumstances, I would have questioned why so soon, but in view of the situation we are in, I am quite looking forward to it. They can see for themselves without relying on pictures etc.

I might speak to the Tenancy people and ask their advice in the meantime.

Yes, they all just seem to give a time frame. I did have one turn up half an hour early once... She had no idea what time bracket they had given me. It's a good thing I hadn't popped out!

Thankfully my new agent seems very relaxed, said he only does inspections if the occupier can be there, and is happy to make appointments for when suits. And also said that the frequency goes down if you prove to be a good tenant. :-D

I don't suppose you are renting through the non amateurs in Willetton (not allowed to name names)?

I named names on my TERRIBLE agent and within 24 hours had them on the phone complaining at me! Apparently they had some programme which picked up when their company name was used. Idiots were trying to tell me their lawyers were advising they sue me for slander. I had to point out to the morons that their lawyers must not know much as liable is the written word, not slander, and only counts if it is lies, and I had proof of every single word I'd said. Funnily enough they didn't try to take me to court. Idiots.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest The Pom Queen
and you deal with property in Australia, that must be one hell of a portfolio you hold? :twitcy:

Not anymore he doesn't :wink:

Archived