Thinking of moving to Australia without a job offer

kumarash

Hi all,

I am thinking of moving to Sydney with my family (wife and 3 kids) in a couple of months. I don't yet have a job offer. I have about 21 years experience of power generation operations. I have been applying to Australian power plants and recruitment companies but to no success. It seems it is almost impossible to secure a job in Australia without being physically there.

What is your opinion about our move? Do you think I shall be able to get a job in Australia in power generation sector and if yes in how much time? any comments/advice are welcome and needed. I have 176 skilled visa sponsored by my uncle who lives in Sydney.

Thanks.

Ashok

I do check jobs time to time and see few available in your sector. Fly out on your own and secure a job. Then fly the family out. That's the best way to do it.

Hi we have not long moved to Sydney with 3 kids in tow and no jobs. I don't know your industry so can't give specific advice just our experience. My husband is a chef and managed to pick up a job really easy- only part time initially but now he is full time. He could have his pick as there is so much chef work but he was choosy to fit in with our family. I am slightly harder. I work in theatre and do production/ coordination and my work is here but not available all the time. I thought I would get an anything job to start but I am finding that hard- to the point I have given up and just waiting for my youngest to start school and for something in my field to come up. I think people look at my CV and know I won't stay working in a bar/ shop/ admin role etc.

However my husband is on $50K and we have now just started living off of this rather than our savings. We are surviving ok. We pay rent, petrol, travel, food and just about scrape the utilities and internet etc. We have done this by being advance of the rent and "skipping" weeks to give us a break financially for the big bills. We get some family assistance and rent assistance but only about $400 a fortnight which half goes to childcare. We can't survive long term like this. We need to look at comprehensive car insurance, dental cover , contents insurance, mobiles, and savings/ spending money in time. But we are not panicing or stretched. So on one hand I say it's doable but don't fall into the trap of thinking you can just pick up anything job wise to start with as that may not be feasible. We are getting out loads as a family though as so much is cheap/affordable.

Good luck with the decision

Your stuck between a rock and a hard place ,, as you've already said it is quite difficult to secure work until your here, but that would mean coming without a job lined up.. If you have the funds to support your family for a while whilst you job seek and have no income, i would go for it,, The other thing would be for you to come ahead of your family and try to secure work before they arrive.

Lots of luck with everything and let us know what you decide.

Cal x

As others have said, thinking you can just do 'any old job' to pay the bills in the short term is not as easy as it is/was in the UK (when 'between jobs' Ive always managed to get something in UK in a few days when necessary).

It took me six months to get what I would term a 'proper job' in line with my experience. Before that I got a job washing cars but to get that took me almost three months and believe me I was applying for all and sundry. I would be careful about coming here without work with family in tow, we made it work but that was mainly because my other half got a job almost straight away. If that hadnt happened I honestly dont think we would be here now as the car washing was only casual and didnt even cover the bills.

If you have enough savings or an in-demand skill the above shouldnt be a problem. best of luck :cool:

Hi we have not long moved to Sydney with 3 kids in tow and no jobs. I don't know your industry so can't give specific advice just our experience. My husband is a chef and managed to pick up a job really easy- only part time initially but now he is full time. He could have his pick as there is so much chef work but he was choosy to fit in with our family. I am slightly harder. I work in theatre and do production/ coordination and my work is here but not available all the time. I thought I would get an anything job to start but I am finding that hard- to the point I have given up and just waiting for my youngest to start school and for something in my field to come up. I think people look at my CV and know I won't stay working in a bar/ shop/ admin role etc.

However my husband is on $50K and we have now just started living off of this rather than our savings. We are surviving ok. We pay rent, petrol, travel, food and just about scrape the utilities and internet etc. We have done this by being advance of the rent and "skipping" weeks to give us a break financially for the big bills. We get some family assistance and rent assistance but only about $400 a fortnight which half goes to childcare. We can't survive long term like this. We need to look at comprehensive car insurance, dental cover , contents insurance, mobiles, and savings/ spending money in time. But we are not panicing or stretched. So on one hand I say it's doable but don't fall into the trap of thinking you can just pick up anything job wise to start with as that may not be feasible. We are getting out loads as a family though as so much is cheap/affordable.

Good luck with the decision

Well done for doing it but why are you paying for child care if you work?

Well done for doing it but why are you paying for child care if you work?

Thanks, I presume you are actually asking why I am paying for child care when I don't work? My youngest starts school in Feb and has been in pre school in the UK until now. So She does 2 days here to keep her used to it and give me a break lol. Also I found that I was in a catch 22, get a job interview or networking opportunity but no one to have her. So I figured that putting her in 2 days a week means I can try and work things around those days.

......if however you mean why am I paying for childcare when I am not working and I am missing a trick please let me know :-) I am not registered as not working- in fact I have put down that I am doing 15 hours per week which is right as all my 2 days off are busy doing something to looking for work. I did think about registering for new start but it gave me $8 a week so figured whats the point in the hassle lol.

Sorry yes I meant don't work! I know moving to a different country is hard with no free chilcare. However to be honest when they start school it's for such a short time it's almost impossible to work in school hours. Good luck.

Yeah once I am working hubby is going to stop or go part time. We are lucky are school has after school care but we don't want them in too much but we'll juggle that when I get a job (I generally earn more than he does so it makes sense that way). We are lucky to get some assistance towards childcare but - at the risk of sounding like i'm whinging- it's not the same as 15 free hours in the UK lol.

Nope, I wouldn't be uprooting the family and moving them without a job to go to. You could try on your own but you will need enough to support yourself - enough for 6 months would probably be a wise move, on top of all the set up costs you are likely to incur.

• 1 year later...

Archived