queensland humidity, whats it like?

xxlornaxx

Can anyone tell me how Queensland will feel weather wise?

I am moving their from Sydney this week and im scared about the humidity people talk about!

I went to Dubai in July and i absolutely hated it beacuse of the humidity, i couldnt do anyting, i coudnt see, breath, move, nothing lol..is it as bad as this in Queensland...further up past Brisbane?

Would having a pool to jump into help?..will i get used to it..or will it be a reason to leave??

If you have decent air-con then it is seriously no problem at all.

We don't have decent air-con (you have to stand literally underneath it and feel no benefit from several feet away) so it can get a bit bad. This is not helped by the brick house where it gets to 37C inside when it is 30C outside.

I would say there were around 6 days last summer I would count as "unbearable" where it made me feel quite ill. I headed to the local leisure pool/leisure centre/turned on the crap air-con on those days.

Sydney humidity

[TABLE=class: statsdata]

[TR]

[TD]Mean 3pm relative humidity (%) [/TD]

[TD]62[/TD]

[TD=class: highest]64[/TD]

[TD]62[/TD]

[TD]59[/TD]

[TD]57[/TD]

[TD]57[/TD]

[TD]51[/TD]

[TD=class: lowest]49[/TD]

[TD]51[/TD]

[TD]56[/TD]

[TD]58[/TD]

[TD]59[/TD]

[TD]57[/TD]

[TD]56[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Brisbane humidity

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Avg Humidity %[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 66[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 70[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 71[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 68[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 64[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 61[/TD]

[TD=align: center] 62[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Cheers, Bobj.

I don't really notice it in Brisbane, may be a lot worse up the coast though?

Lived here about 21 months and only time I was stuck in the house was during storms

Humidity is really is not as bad a people say, it will also depend on where you live. I have been here just over 4 years and i can count on my one hand the amount of times the humidity has made me feel uncomfortable. QLD is a very big state and the climate varies immensely depending where you decide to live. The weather varies from tropical rain forest in the far north through to sub tropical and the temperate areas. it will depend on where you decide to live just how humid it gets.

Where I live we expect temperatures around 20c during the winter daytime down to 5c at night with summer temp up to high 30's. You will be amazed how fast you can acclimatise to the weather, when i first arrived I thought the winter temperatures were warm, 12 months later I started to complain if the temp drops to 20c and after 4 years i feel like I need to rug up when the cold winter days of 20c arrive.:biggrin:

:biggrin:

I think in 7 years ive had only a handful of days i have found it unbearable and too hot / humid to do anything, we don't have air con either but find Ceiling fans are great. I can't really comment on higher up QLD as ive only ever done the holiday thing up there but again its not been that bad when ive been there..

Cal x

I think we're going through one of those weather cycles at the moment where it's sunny during the day which lifts the moisture into the air, then it tips down at night. It's great for the garden, but not so good if you're active at about 4 p.m.

It's not intolerable though.

I think we're going through one of those weather cycles at the moment where it's sunny during the day which lifts the moisture into the air, then it tips down at night. It's great for the garden, but not so good if you're active at about 4 p.m.

It's not intolerable though.

Yeah, sounded like it was bucketing down last night. As long as it doesn't start raining in the day, with the ashes coming up!

I work outside, generally in the Brisbane area, and never really had a problem with it, some of the Aussie guys struggle though! My wife, now she is a different story, she hates summer, but that's more about the heat than humidity, but then again she is the sort who feels the need to put on a cardigan as she walk past the shadow of a lamppost!!

We have air-con but only really use it on the really humid days, on the hot days we open the windows and let the breezes through.

It depends what part of Queensland your going to as to how bad it is. Now iv lived in Central Queensland for 18 months and only felt it a couple of days in the very wet hot weather January/Feb time, other than that, Cental Queensland is a dry heat and the weather is Glorious 98% of the time all year round IMHO :cool:

However other parts are more humid, I found Noosa quite humid at times and played havoc with my hair :eek: and my mate on the gold coast( which seems to get a lot more rain) says she does get humidity. But seeing as your moving near me, then I wouldn't worry too much, obviously it is a lot hotter than Sydney so unless your not good at tolerating the heat, and it will be wet season shortly.

The feeling of the humidity seems to vary a lot between suburbs and around Qld ... I'm by the bay in Brisbane and I've never had the aircon on - just open the windows and switch on fans. When it rains, it's biblical, and you need air-con on in yr car to stop it all steaming up! The big storms are very entertaining though!

Guest The Pom Queen

Queensland is a huge area, Far North Queensland does get hot and humid. Usually the worst is January - March although this year I have been struggling some days already but that might just be me at the moment. It doesn't affect you that much unless you work outdoors. At home you have air con on, then you get in to the car with air con, then go to work/shops with air con.

Queensland is a huge area, Far North Queensland does get hot and humid. Usually the worst is January - March although this year I have been struggling some days already but that might just be me at the moment. It doesn't affect you that much unless you work outdoors. At home you have air con on, then you get in to the car with air con, then go to work/shops with air con.

Wusses, the lot o'ya.:arghh: :tongue:

Cheers, Bobj.

High humidity in summer means I don't go walking as much as I'd like, and you can have the odd horrendous night if you don't have aircon. I prefer the windows open, so try to get somewhere with a bit of a breeze - by the coast it's much better. There have been a few days when I couldn't cope with going out in summer, and I couldn't sleep cos I was just too sweaty but it's worth putting up for to experience the Queensland autumn, winter and spring when the weather is for the most part sublime

Archived