I can't get into any job here in Perth

Kristia Suarez

Hi, I am a newly-arrived migrant from the Philippines. I am currently a permanent resident here for three months. I already had my education assessed and it was equivalent to that of an Australian Bachelor's Degree. I'm an IT graduate and I have had already two years work experience from my home country.

I'm not very picky when looking for jobs, except that I will not do the extremely physical jobs or mechanical jobs. I have tried applying for fast food chains, cleaner jobs, data entry, even for those "no experience" jobs..you name it.

I haven't gotten any interview at all and I applied for more than a hundred jobs, including my walk-in applications. I tried applying for my field too which is IT, but I didn't get any luck. All I wanted is to just get a small job for the meantime so that I can settle, but I am having problems. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but a consultant looked up to my resume and said it was good.

I would recommend you try a more targeted approach. In particular I would recommend you target jobs that you have your past experience in, I take it your two years experience was in IT? In which case, focus on IT.

People always seem to assume that walking into "any old job" like check out, fast food is easy, but it isn't. There is plenty of demand for those jobs too and the person that has got experience in the job will be ahead of you. So play to your strengths.

I did apply for the IT industry, but they all keep telling me that I do not have local experience... how can I get experience if I don't get hired even on the entry-level jobs?

There was this one recruitment agency, invited me to an interview. Told me that I'm just the right person for the job and then the next morning, I get an email saying that they found someone else. But then I see them posting the same vacancy again. I also followed up about my interview but no response.

I already did that...applying and sending my resume to those Help Wanted posts on shops and in the city. Nothing happened. I have been tailoring my CV to be related to each job I am applying for, and I can't get anywhere. They are all asking for local experience. I cannot afford to undertake training as I do not have much money. I am looking for a job so I could settle and I am already having a hard time.

Hi Kristia,

Have you tried applying for volunteering positions? Those roles might be able to help you gain some local experiences.

http://govolunteer.com.au/Opportunity/SearchResults

Also, you can try to walk in to Philippines restaurants and ask for jobs like waitress or kitchen hand. I got hired by a Chinese restaurant because of my ability to speak Cantonese.

I have a friend who graduated with a masters degree in Computer Science from Australia and it took him 5 months to get his first job in Perth. It's tough but don't give up. =)

Good Luck !

Kristia - One thing that seems to work for me (and I've applied and failed to get loads of jobs - even with 20+ years great IT experience) is working with management consultancies - If you seek out local management consultancies, two years IT could get you considered as a junior consultant and you would get over the local experience thing as you'd be placed with a team. People will comment about 'there's loads of jobs - try anything' but in my experience, it's very hard here to get considered for anything outside your sphere of expertise - and when you're struggling to get work, going for unskilled stuff is not the answer - when you fail to get that, despair often follows! I'd research and target some smaller to medium IT consultancies - there may be ones which specialize in your field in IT... (unless Ernst & Young, Deloitte etc is your bag - highly competitive and working like a dog). IT consultancies are usually staffed by senior people who know the business too - as opposed to recruitment agencies who IMO rarely have a clue...

I already did that...applying and sending my resume to those Help Wanted posts on shops and in the city. Nothing happened. I have been tailoring my CV to be related to each job I am applying for, and I can't get anywhere. They are all asking for local experience. I cannot afford to undertake training as I do not have much money. I am looking for a job so I could settle and I am already having a hard time.

Sounds like you are doing all the right things. I was out of work for 5 months when we first came but have never been out of work since. 22 years we've been here now. Perth is just like everywhere else in that once you have a job and a few contacts you can usually find work through them. Have you tried linkedin too? That might be a good sight o have a browse through.

I know it's no help but good luck anyway.

Archived