Where should I live in Australia? Thinking of QLD

seasea

You have been told numerous times that you need to look into your eligibility for a visa more closely but you still don't seem to want to. I have expressed my concerns on more than one thread and so now have done some homework that you really should be doing yourself. Comments in red below

I have run my photography business part-time for 13 years (full time for the past 2 years) and have qualifications, so hopefully this will count for something in the eyes of VETASSESS

It is very easy to look up the vetasses criteria, you don't need to "hope" for anything. Photography is a category B occupation which means that you would need either: a) a degree in photography (or similar) and one years work experience, b) a degree in something else and a diploma in photography (or similar) and two years work experience or c) a degree in any discipline and three years relevant work experience.

Whilst it would be nice to be located near my cousin, I would snap their arm off to get a state sponsorship anywhere in Australia. After all, once I have PR I can then relocate to another state if I choose.

I have checked I believe all of the state lists, maybe I missed one, but I did not see photography on any of them. Checking the lists is something you could / should have done by now. Google "nsw state sponsorship list" and similar and you will find them soon enough.

Yes, CSOL is broad to put it mildly and SOL is more "high demand" from what I can gather, but from what I am reading this could vary depending on where you are located in the country.

Employer sponsorship sounds much more risky from what I have read.

Riskier, harder to get as well. But I don't think you have an option.

Sorry to bang the same drum that others most likely already have, but how soon can you get PR with state sponsored and employer sponsored visas?

Some visas are permanent, some are temporary, if you want a permanent visa then you apply for a permanent visa. There is no "how soon" about it.

One thing I have found is that half of the results in Google for Australian government websites lead to dead pages. I guess this could be due to a change in policy, but it is frustrating that I cannot always seem to get the information I need from the government websites - at least not very easily. It's no wonder migration agents have jobs - it all seems so complicated!

I have had no trouble at all locating state sponsorship lists or vetasseses information.

I know that my replies are sounding a little impatient, but we seem to be going round and round in circles now.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm.

So, we've gone from 'We should be able to qualify for several different' visas to possibly only being eligible for employer-sponsorship in the space of two days.

As advised earlier, there are advantages in determining visa eligibility before anything else. :wink:

One thing I have found is that half of the results in Google for Australian government websites lead to dead pages...it is frustrating that I cannot always seem to get the information I need from the government websites

No need to Google. All the information is available in links from the webpage which you were previously given:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/sol/

This is the government website for immigration.

Thanks for your help Rupert. It's not that I didn't want to bother finding out, it's more a case of family life not letting me concentrate enough to read things in depth. I think I must have overlooked some of the finer details when looking at the visa requirements. Disappointed is one way of putting it :sad: On a brighter note, there is still a route that I can take.

Our aim as a family was to be ready to apply in 2 years. We have a house to sell and the market is slow, so we'll bide our time.

Hmm, I need a degree - really?!

DRAT

I think I fall into Skill Level 2 as I have a Diploma, but not a Degree - being as Photographer is Skill Level 1/Group A or B that hangs me out to dry somewhat.

Time to go back to school...

Thanks for your help Rupert. It's not that I didn't want to bother finding out, it's more a case of family life not letting me concentrate enough to read things in depth. I think I must have overlooked some of the finer details when looking at the visa requirements. Disappointed is one way of putting it :sad: On a brighter note, there is still a route that I can take.

Our aim as a family was to be ready to apply in 2 years. We have a house to sell and the market is slow, so we'll bide our time.

When we see 'apply in 2 years' or 'house to sell and market slow' most here instantly know there is little or no commitment to migrate.

DRAT

I think I fall into Skill Level 2 as I have a Diploma, but not a Degree - being as Photographer is Skill Level 1/Group A or B that hangs me out to dry somewhat.

Yes you will need a degree, there is no way of passing skills assessment without it under this occupation code.

This therefore rules out skilled migration and permanent employer sponsored visas. The only option to you at the moment is the temporary employer sponsored, but I would imagine it would be extremely hard to find a sponsor as a photographer and then this is only a temporary visa anyway. The second option is to take a degree, but even then skilled migration might not be an option as it would need a state sponsor. So that would be a big investment on what is probably a long shot anyway..

In summary, I think this is going to be very hard for you. Do you have a better half? What does he /she do if so?

DRAT

Yes, definitely a degree for a permanent visa.

This was our problem - DH didn't have a degree but a Diploma so couldn't pass the skills assessment (we checked with 2 reputable agents). We came on a 457 (very different occupation to yours though) and are hoping to be sponsored by the company for the permanent visa in March. Obviously a risky route and doesn't always work out.

When we see 'apply in 2 years' or 'house to sell and market slow' most here instantly know there is little or no commitment to migrate.

Whilst it may sound this way Sprintman, we need the house to sell for a decent price to fund our migration.

Rupert, if I am understanding you correctly, then even if I had a degree it would have to be an employer sponsored visa and the current option as you say would be a temporary visa... a gamble indeed and in both cases relies upon an employer sponsor. I hope this route works out for you Alaska.

Another possible route for me is dependent on my cousin. He is currently on a RSMS visa and will be applying for a PR visa very soon. If he gets PR then he could sponsor us, but I need to do some research to check that this is possible.

Another possible route for me is dependent on my cousin. He is currently on a RSMS visa and will be applying for a PR visa very soon. If he gets PR then he could sponsor us, but I need to do some research to check that this is possible.

Also a long shot, but check it out by all means.

Things have changed a lot since the 70's, when 10 pound poms blazed a trail for the rest of their extended families. Unemployment amongst family sponsored migrants is higher than the national average, and DIAC have taken note of this. But keep your eyes open. The rules are prone to change, and not always to your disadvantage.

Looks as though cousins are not relatives that can be considered although uncles/aunts can be. Unless he happens to be my nearest surviving relative.

This is going to be a lot harder than I thought.

I have emailed VETASSESS to establish whether experience might be acceptable and if not what UK qualifications they accept other than a degree (if any).

I wouldn't be selling the house either! You never know when you might need a lifeline. Aus is very qualification oriented so you could struggle without a degree or a trade with a completed apprenticeship.

I would rather see the back of this house.

I may have to consider retraining, in which case my path to Australia will be a long term investment.

i know i don't have much input into this seeing as i am in a different boat as i am going across on a WHV, But from a outsider view on this thread sure it looks like they are all giving you negative comments . . . But i fully agree with what they are saying about how hard it is to get into Australia, Maybe take all the links that have been provided and actually try and spend some time going over them and know them inside out?

Thanks.

I've just gone through the Visa Wizard again and the pages linked to my possibly eligible visas says that my cousin is eligible as a sponsor - well once he has PR :biggrin:

For a family sponsored skilled migrant visa you would still need to pass a skills assessment which requires a degree for your occupation and further the occupation would need to be on schedule 1 of the SOL, which it is not. Cousin sponsorship is not an option for you.

And to poster above, sharing facts about immigration is not making "negative comments". I guess we could sit here and make lovely encouraging noises whilst OP sells his house and browses Australian real estate. But it won't help in the long run.

Gotta be honest here,i agree with Rupert fwiw,i dont think people are being negative,they're just not sugar coating things,Rupert posts in a very matter of fact/pragmatic way,like compassion passed her by,but she's very helpful re visa's etc,so i couldn't knock her that way,gotta give credit where it's due,but she does come across as a miserable bas7ard:laugh::wubclub:

For a family sponsored skilled migrant visa you would still need to pass a skills assessment which requires a degree for your occupation and further the occupation would need to be on schedule 1 of the SOL, which it is not. Cousin sponsorship is not an option for you.

And to poster above, sharing facts about immigration is not making "negative comments". I guess we could sit here and make lovely encouraging noises whilst OP sells his house and browses Australian real estate. But it won't help in the long run.

Gotta be honest here,i agree with Rupert fwiw,i dont think people are being negative,they're just not sugar coating things,Rupert posts in a very matter of fact/pragmatic way,like compassion passed her by,but she's very helpful re visa's etc,so i couldn't knock her that way,gotta give credit where it's due,but she does come across as a miserable bas7ard:laugh::wubclub:

I think how i wrote that came across wrong, What i was trying to say was even though that the posts on here may 'seem' negative as in they was putting a negative on the fact of the user trying to come over to Australia. The points being made was actually true and i believe what everyone was saying

I hope that clears it up?

I think how i wrote that came across wrong, What i was trying to say was even though that the posts on here may 'seem' negative as in they was putting a negative on the fact of the user trying to come over to Australia. The points being made was actually true and i believe what everyone was saying

I hope that clears it up?

No worries Matty,wasnt having a dig at you anyway mucker,just an "in general" reply to the thread

Been reading lots of stuff today.

The provisional 489 temp visa was the one that I was looking at. I was just about to start researching degree courses that I can enrol on, but thought I should come back here to see if there was anything new.

Yes, Rupert you are blunt and to the point, but had you not been then I would most certainly be thinking that this whole process would be plain sailing and far simpler, so thank you.

Are we 100% sure that the occupation has to be from schedule of the SOL. The visa checklist says:

Evidence that the main applicant has, at the time of invitation, obtained a

suitable skills assessment in their nominated occupation on the relevant

Skilled Occupation List (SOL)

I mean, it does say "relevant". Suggesting that it can come from either the SOL or CSOL. I mean, if I had a skill on the SOL, then there would be easier ways to qualify.

If it must come from schedule 1 then my choices are to get a degree and find an employer to sponsor me, or retrain in a skill on the SOL.

Thoughts and advice welcomed.

Thoughts and advice welcomed.

Well, it seems you'll have to formulate a long-term plan. With a time frame of 2-5 years. Not necessarily a bad thing, but maybe a bit of a surprise. A lot of media coverage tends to imply that anyone can get a visa at anytime.

My 2p worth: consider whether you want to stay in photography as a career, or whether you'd like to change. If so, whether you would change to a career that has more chance of remaining on the CSOL.

If you anyway intended to sell your house then sell it. Buy a different house, or rent.

There's a long standing thread here titled "What have you done today to get yourself to Oz?". I haven't read it all, but I think the sentiment is valid. For most people, it's not just a question of phoning up Canberra House and getting your passport stamped; it's a long process involving many steps. (The truth is that obtaining the visa is in many ways just the start of the journey).

There was also a recent thread from someone who began their process/planning back in 2008, also from a not-so-optimistic standpoint. But they got there, much to the delight of the same posters who have given you input thus far.

It most certainly isn't an easy process, to keep focused on a long-term goal, not knowing if the criteria will be changed arbitrarily; meeting friends who keep asking "so when are you going to go?"; boring them with the details of the application process. But, increasingly, there are fewer and fewer shortcuts available.

Whatever you decide, best of luck.

Archived