Sydney Plane preparing for emergency landing

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

A plane is currently circling Sydney Airport preparing for an emergency landing after both tyres blew on take off. Hope it lands safely.

Haven't checked the full story, so maybe it's answered somewhere but ....

Why did the plane have to dump all it's fuel and land back in Sydney? Once it's in the air, the blown tyres aren't going to affect it at all, so why not just carry on to where it was going and do the emergency landing there? Seems a waste of fuel and a lot of hassle for the passengers to turn around and come back to Sydney.

Haven't checked the full story, so maybe it's answered somewhere but ....

Why did the plane have to dump all it's fuel and land back in Sydney? Once it's in the air, the blown tyres aren't going to affect it at all, so why not just carry on to where it was going and do the emergency landing there? Seems a waste of fuel and a lot of hassle for the passengers to turn around and come back to Sydney.

Firstly...it is an Aeroplane.........a Plane is something that carpenters use.

To answer your question......Aeroplanes (except lighties) have a Maximum Take Off Weight (MTOW) and a Maximum Landing Weight (MLW)........as well as other weights which are irrelevant to your question. This aeroplane was a United Airlines Boeing 744......with an approximate MTOW of around 410,000 kgs and a MLW of 295,000 kgs. The 744F's I flew until a few months ago had typically a MTOW of 397,000 Kgs and a MLW of 302,000 Kgs.........the difference being fuel burn off to achieve your landing weight. Aircraft have structural limitations both to airframe and landing gear so an overweight landing will only be undertaken in the event of an emergency and in this case it wasn't.......hence the dumping of fuel to achieve MLW. So in answer to your question.......NO....it wasn't a waste of fuel and a "hassled" passenger is better than a potentially dead one.

May sound like a daft question, but, when they dump fuel do they simply pull a lever and all the fuel falls out into the sky. I would imagine an awful lot of fuel was dumped yesterday so where does it all go? I presume it goes into the sea but that can't be very good for the sea life but if its dumped on land would it kill all the plant life. Just wondered

May sound like a daft question, but, when they dump fuel do they simply pull a lever and all the fuel falls out into the sky. I would imagine an awful lot of fuel was dumped yesterday so where does it all go? I presume it goes into the sea but that can't be very good for the sea life but if its dumped on land would it kill all the plant life. Just wondered

It is a guarded switch which when activated utilises a solenoid operated jettison valve which is fed from the engine boost pump in the engine fuel system. When the fuel is jettisoned (Boeing recommends no lower than 6000' with flaps up) into the high speed airstream it evaporates.....so nothing went into the sea.

It is a guarded switch which when activated utilises a solenoid operated jettison valve which is fed from the engine boost pump in the engine fuel system. When the fuel is jettisoned (Boeing recommends no lower than 6000' with flaps up) into the high speed airstream it evaporates.....so nothing went into the sea.

You learn something new every day!

Firstly...it is an Aeroplane.........a Plane is something that carpenters use.

To answer your question......Aeroplanes (except lighties) have a Maximum Take Off Weight (MTOW) and a Maximum Landing Weight (MLW)........as well as other weights which are irrelevant to your question. This aeroplane was a United Airlines Boeing 744......with an approximate MTOW of around 410,000 kgs and a MLW of 295,000 kgs. The 744F's I flew until a few months ago had typically a MTOW of 397,000 Kgs and a MLW of 302,000 Kgs.........the difference being fuel burn off to achieve your landing weight. Aircraft have structural limitations both to airframe and landing gear so an overweight landing will only be undertaken in the event of an emergency and in this case it wasn't.......hence the dumping of fuel to achieve MLW. So in answer to your question.......NO....it wasn't a waste of fuel and a "hassled" passenger is better than a potentially dead one.

I'm pretty sure 'Plane' is a generally accepted abbreviation of the word aeroplane.

And I think you've missed the gist of the question. I fully understand why they have to dump fuel before landing - that's pretty obvious. But I was asking why, if they had established what the problem was (ie 2 blown tyres), they didn't make the emergency landing at the end of the journey rather than turn round and land straight away.

I suppose it depends on how reliable the info is about the rest of the aircraft - maybe they couldn't confirm that it was just 2 blown tyres and no other damage. I don't know - I don't fly planes / aeroplanes / aircraft / airplanes.

I'm pretty sure 'Plane' is a generally accepted abbreviation of the word aeroplane.

And I think you've missed the gist of the question. I fully understand why they have to dump fuel before landing - that's pretty obvious. But I was asking why, if they had established what the problem was (ie 2 blown tyres), they didn't make the emergency landing at the end of the journey rather than turn round and land straight away.

I suppose it depends on how reliable the info is about the rest of the aircraft - maybe they couldn't confirm that it was just 2 blown tyres and no other damage. I don't know - I don't fly planes / aeroplanes / aircraft / airplanes.

My husband flew aeroplanes for over 40 years, and he would accept that plane is an acceptable word for people to use, we know what people mean. I was a hostee for years, and there is an accepted word de-plane when leaving an aircraft/aeroplane, not de-

Areroplane, said a bit tongue in cheek.

The most important thing is that every aeroplane, makes a safe landing.

A pedant would say the abbreviation is 'plane - along with 'phones and 'papers.

It's probably not the possible damage at that point they are worried about - it is the extra risk caused by the blown tyres that would have a greater impact if any other emergencies occurred during the rest of the journey.

maybe by the general public and the uninformed but normally not by us in the industry........as for "de-plane" an Americanism when the rest of the world used disembark.

MXH......as to your question.......tyres blow on take off......we ask ourselves.......how many ?......has there been any damage done to hydraulic lines ?...........have the rims remained intact or have pieces of the rims punctured the wheel well skin and perhaps punctured fuel lines or any one of a number of control cables ? I for one do not want to fly a potentially "crippled" B744 for 14 hours across the Pacific and await the consequences when I land at LAX or SFO......I want to know ASAP and therefore I land sooner rather than later.....and it is really classed as an abnormal landing rather than an emergency landing.

Archived