Cane Toad Issues

ChrisMagoo

They do social cane toad culls here; a couple of times a year families and kids go out at night and pick them up from local parks before they start breeding, then the RSPCA takes them away and humanly euthanises them with bottles of CO2. Contrary to belief you can pick them up, it's only when they get chewed that the poison releases, wear rubber gloves if you're really worried, I never bother.

They are a noxious pest. Make sure they are cane toads before killing them though; there's a native bullfrog that looks like one which is why they have professionals on hand to make sure kids aren't disposing of anything they can get their hands on.

Although grey squirrels are a bit bigger, they don't actually bully the reds. What they do is they eat under ripe nuts, which the reds can't digest. This means that these nuts never mature for the reds to eat. The other consequence is that the nuts never go on to form trees. I could be wrong, but I think the hazelnut tree is now a protected species (in the UK) because of this.

I know it's in vogue to criticize the introduction of biological controls and non native species, and it's true that Australia has a litany of destroying its' native flora and fauna in this way, but before you saddle up on the high horse, you really have to ask yourself what would you have done differently. How would you contain or control the cane beetle? Or would you simply not have introduced sugar cane at all? And replaced it with what crop exactly? Wheat? (Also non-native).

I sat opposite a woman who decried the British for introducing the cane toad (I was the only Brit at the table, and she'd been waiting to vent her spleen). She was eating steak and chips and salad at the time. I pointed out that there was nothing on her plate that wasn't introduced by the British.

I don't think any non native species are introduced anywhere these days without proper controlled studies in to what the likely impact may be. That's not to say the studies always get it right but it's far more unlikely that something will be introduced that goes on to devastate the local flora and fauna. Most introduced non native invasive species were introduced many years ago before people really understand (or cared?) about the potential impact on the local area.

They were brought in to kill beetles that were killing off crops in Queensland but don't believe they were any use at that

Yeah and the beetle they were brought in to control lived at the top of the sugar cane - the idiots who released them didn't know that cane toads can't climb.

102 toads were brought in from Hawaii in 1935 now there are an estimated 2 billion.

I picked on up in the daintree rainforest. If you lay them on their back and stroke the stomach they doze off for 30 seconds or so, just enough time to put a nail gun through the head

I picked on up in the daintree rainforest. If you lay them on their back and stroke the stomach they doze off for 30 seconds or so, just enough time to put a nail gun through the head

A 5 iron is better, no having to pick them up...well a lofted club will do that perfectly and land them a few metres away.:laugh:

Cheers, Bobj.

A 5 iron is better, no having to pick them up...well a lofted club will do that perfectly and land them a few metres away.:laugh:

Cheers, Bobj.

brings back memories from my childhood. Try the salt method. Tip salt over their head and glands. They blow up :cool:Used to have to protect the dogs from them , so we did have some fun .

Cheers, Bobj.

Indeed, although one of the best fairway wood shots I ever played was with a 4 Wood off a mate's front lawn after a few beers.......lifted the bugger clean over his front fence....was still on the street in the legs splayed position the next day.

Indeed, although one of the best fairway wood shots I ever played was with a 4 Wood off a mate's front lawn after a few beers.......lifted the bugger clean over his front fence....was still on the street in the legs splayed position the next day.

Mean.

:sad:

CANE TOAD STIR FRY

Mar 12, 2013 , 4:56 PM by Lyrella Trainer

6a00e0097e4e688833017c379286d4970b-250wiWhat do you do with a cane toad once you've cornered it in the garden and shoved it into a container? Most of us wait until its frozen stiff and pop in the bin. Instead of letting the carcass rot in the rubbish try stir frying the legs and creating a seriously tasty Territory dish.

I kid you not.

Local gardening guru and recycling buff Leonie Norrington is an advocate for making more of her cane toads. Leonie is in fact quite partial to serving cane toad legs as an appetizer at parties. Leonie shares her finger licking cane toad legs recipe with Anne-Marie

Ingredients

10 cane toad legs

Corn oil 1/2 Cup (16 tbs)

Cilantro/Coriander 2 Bunch (100gm), chopped

Lemon juice 3/4

Water 1 Cup (16 tbs)

Garlic 5 Clove (5gm), minced

Salt To Taste

Directions

In a large, heavy skillet, fry the frog or chicken legs in the heated corn oil until browned.

In a separate saucepan combine the remaining ingredients.

Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, for five to ten minutes.

Pour the sauce over the cane toad legs.

Transfer to a lightly oiled baking pan or casserole and bake at 350 degrees of fifteen minutes.

No, I helped to kill an introduced pest responsible for the destruction of native Australian wildlife.......some of you poms need a serious reality check

Don't pretend you give a damn about wildlife. Nobody who takes pleasure in killing other living creatures cares about wildlife. The toad cannot help what it is and did not ask to be introduced to Australia. You are not a native species of Australia either, you were introduced.

Don't pretend you give a damn about wildlife. Nobody who takes pleasure in killing other living creatures cares about wildlife. The toad cannot help what it is and did not ask to be introduced to Australia. You are not a native species of Australia either, you were introduced.

Honestly....you really don't have a clue regarding cane toads do you......give me strength oh lord.

There is a series on ABC1 at the moment called "Kakadu"......in episode 2 there is a section on cane toads and their destruction of certain species of native wildlife....watch it and LEARN something if you could really be bothered.......rather than sitting there and pontificating.......do Australia a favour and kill them with whatever means are available.

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/series/12926

There is a series on ABC1 at the moment called "Kakadu"......in episode 2 there is a section on cane toads and their destruction of certain species of native wildlife....watch it and LEARN something if you could really be bothered.......rather than sitting there and pontificating.......do Australia a favour and kill them with whatever means are available.

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/series/12926

yes because me going on a witch hunt with stakes spikes golf clubs whatever to kill ONE toad is really gonna make a difference.

Archived