Strange way to pay wages?

Debz101

Being new to Australia and the job market, I'm not sure if this is suspect.......

OH has been offered a job, with part of the wage being paid by Bank Transfer and the other part being paid in cash. I am assuming the cash part won't be declared anywhere.......

Now to me, if it's not all paid through the bank he will be losing out on some Super Annuation, Medicare Levy and maybe other things.

Is this something that is done over here? Or is it some dodgy avoidance thing and well steered clear of?

I don't think you need to be new to Australia to know that is not right - what would you think if a company in the UK asked to put half your wages on your payslip and half in cash????

I was just about to update my post to suggest that. :biggrin:

I would not touch them with a barge pole.

I am guessing on the bank transfer part will appear on the pay slip. So, he will only be taxed on this part. The tax office here are pretty savvy and when he comes to doing his tax return (unlike the UK everyone has to do a tax return) I would say there is a reasonable chance of him being found out. A conviction for fraud would not be a good way to start.

Being new to Australia and the job market, I'm not sure if this is suspect.......

OH has been offered a job, with part of the wage being paid by Bank Transfer and the other part being paid in cash. I am assuming the cash part won't be declared anywhere.......

Now to me, if it's not all paid through the bank he will be losing out on some Super Annuation, Medicare Levy and maybe other things.

Is this something that is done over here? Or is it some dodgy avoidance thing and well steered clear of?

As long as it's on the payslip it should be fine. Not heard of it in Oz but I was in a job in the UK where we had to agree to be paid in cash if the business had a large amount of cash that week. We would still get a pay slip and taxed etc just cash in an envelope. If it's likely to be a business that has a high cash intake I would be less suspicious. Maybe just get him to clarify

Thanks, You've all confirmed my suspicions.

The fella implied it was okay to do it here......... stupid man!

Oh well, back to the job adverts

Perhaps get your OH to check if all monies go on the pay slip as K8 has suggested - if they do then it won't be a problem.

Job offers can be hard to come by of late so before writing this company off, i would do what a couple of other posts suggest and clarify if it is all declared, as this is ok and above board. If it isnt or if you cant get a straight answer then yes, i would agree with others to avoid and look elsewhere.

Cal x

If it's all declared, no issue.

If it's a high cash business they are probably trying to cut down on the trips to the bank to deposit it, the bank charges, and the processing time. You'll find this an easy way to 'get rid' of the unwanted cash.

Archived