So the Job Market is pretty much dead in Canberra

Maggie2012

Hi Maggie

just reading through this sounds a bit scary! What happens if you do not get a job... Are you allowed to work in another state or does that have implications on your visa?

I am planning to move in Jan 2014 and reading about the job market is really getting me worried now. :eek:

Hope you find something soon.....

I heard that the once you migrate, you need to contact the migration officers in ACT. They keep a check by contacting you periodically to know if you got a job relevant to the skill that you applied for when you lodged the 190 Visa. After a certain time period, if you dont get offers in ACT but are getting offers from other states like Melb or Syd, then they would ask you to try out the job market in other states.

i believe that their decision is dependent on your occupation and the time frame that you have been in ACT looking for the appropriate job.

Note: I am talking in terms of folks who have gone through the 190 PR Visa Route.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard that the once you migrate, you need to contact the migration officers in ACT. They keep a check by contacting you periodically to know if you got a job relevant to the skill that you applied for when you lodged the 190 Visa. After a certain time period, if you dont get offers in ACT but are getting offers from other states like Melb or Syd, then they would ask you to try out the job market in other states.

i believe that their decision is dependent on your occupation and the time frame that you have been in ACT looking for the appropriate job.

Note: I am talking in terms of folks who have gone through the 190 PR Visa Route.

I have a 176 visa.... Think that's different from a 190.

Is it really that bad the job market in Canberra?

I am in HR / training / recruitment .... Pretty generic so that's why it all sounds scary.

Well we are going to give a honest shot in ACT and see what happens. Else we will start applying outside. I don't have the luxury to wait for 6months to get a job.

As long as we have the option of applying for jobs outside the ACT its making me feel better.

As Quoll says, it depends on your occupation but we are finding it difficult too. We were told by our visa agent that we have a moral obligation to live and work in the state for 2 years on a 190 state sponsored. If no work, can't make friends, can't settle etc I believe you can ask to move to another state, without permission doing so breaks visa conditions so technically the whole visa can be withdrawn.

In Canberra there seems to be a high attitude of Australian jobs for Australian people!?

I was just wondering why you chose Canberra of all the Australian cities? I would have thought that would be a bit more difficult than others for securing employment as a non-citizen. The fine art world in Australia is very small really- they all know each other so it might be a bit difficult because there are a lot of hungry artists out there with excellent qualifications. As a parent of one of them, part of me says they should get preference over newcomers but then I guess diversity is healthy .

I feel for anyone desperate for a job, but I thought this comment was a bit out of order. The poster who mentioned the networking asked you what you did for a living and you wouldn't tell her, so she couldn't help you. And then you have a pop at the poor woman in another post!

If you don't want to tell us what you do, then have a look at meetup.com - there are loads of opportunities for meeting new people on there.

why, because every place you go that is what are told? No offense, but isn't that admitting that corruption in Canberra is sky high? And nobody have ever told us or have we read that before. if you do not believe me, I will record it the next time when that statement is echoed. On the other hand, thank you for the tip about the meetup website.

and to be clear, we don't expect to be walking into any job. And we don't wish to be treated specially but given a fair chance to a job whatever it may be. Nothing more nothing less. There are a lot of doors listed in the yellow pages, but we can only knock until we have the means to support ourselves and that has nothing to do how much we like Canberra. You can say anything you want but that won't change the hard facts: for an immigrant in "the job market is pretty dead in Canberra right now"...

Hi Maggie

just reading through this sounds a bit scary! What happens if you do not get a job... Are you allowed to work in another state or does that have implications on your visa?

I am planning to move in Jan 2014 and reading about the job market is really getting me worried now. :eek:

Hope you find something soon.....

hopefully there is a job (ANY JOB) for both of us. In theory if you are on the brink of a financial crisis you could ask to be "relieved from your moral obligation to Canberra".

As it is a PR visa even it being Subclass 190 there are no conditions to the visa. Should be able to work anywhere. Canberra is a nice city with a lot of open spaces. I think once we get out of the super expensive short term accommodation scenario our mode will improve as well, as the weather does!

As Quoll says, it depends on your occupation but we are finding it difficult too. We were told by our visa agent that we have a moral obligation to live and work in the state for 2 years on a 190 state sponsored. If no work, can't make friends, can't settle etc I believe you can ask to move to another state, without permission doing so breaks visa conditions so technically the whole visa can be withdrawn.

In Canberra there seems to be a high attitude of Australian jobs for Australian people!?

where have you read or heard that they can withdraw your visa? That would be just fantastic: you paid thousands to get the visa because they told you there is a need for you, you get here, spend thousands to stay and try to find a job and may even be that you use up all of your life savings just to get the visa withdrawn than go home and live on the street??? oh no.....

As of course their should be.

where have you read or heard that they can withdraw your visa? That would be just fantastic: you paid thousands to get the visa because they told you there is a need for you, you get here, spend thousands to stay and try to find a job and may even be that you use up all of your life savings just to get the visa withdrawn than go home and live on the street??? oh no.....

Chill out FFS..

"Life wasn't meant to be easy". Malcolm Fraser

so know of any jobs? lol

What was there in Saturdays CT? Trawl the malls too, there are usually sits vac notices in the windows! Find a place to volunteer, join an organization (eg Rotary) get to know people. It takes time unfortunately - a couple of months is really a short time to be looking!

They can withdraw the visa? Seriously?

If the state has no jobs would they rather we get a job in another state or be unemployed?

Well I am going to get there in Jan 2014 and hopefully the situation is better on the job front. If not, who do we speak to in ACT about moving to another state?

Maggie good luck with the job search.

Maybe I am wrong about withdrawal (seem to remember my agent saying it) but I defiantly signed a document to say I would stay in ACT for 2 years, I think one should be very careful about moving to another state without written permission if they have state sponsorship. As with all things on this forum, it's always worth checking with a professional migrant agent as everything is hearsay.

After speaking with EVERY job agency in the town jobs are scars. Companies on hire freeze unless you know someone at the right place. All agencies empty that is not encouraging at all. 90% of the jobs unreachable for new emigrants due to requiring citizenship or government clearance. No wonder this forum is so quiet.

You, recent immigrants, how are you doing with your job search?

Hi there. I am moving to Canberra in January. I am a librarian and am aware that I will not be able to find a job in my field in the beginning, for lack of local experience among other things. Anyway, I have been researching seek.com.au jobs for the last six months and they always have job ads for administrative assistants and positions with training on the job, especially on the retail field. Have you applied for those?

It seems that the most important thing a newly arrived to Canberra must have is a fair amount of savings to get by for at least one year.

If your serious about doing " anything" then you might look at Home Help Care . I'm doing this at present as I'm unable to work in the job I was trained in, in the UK Civil Service as I'm not a Citizen yet. Needs must and all that.:yes:

yeah, that would probably work for me but cannot imagine hubby working in it. He is definitely not made for that (should I say like most men?).....

Training on the job may mean that the wage is minimum. The gov has schemes where people are employed and retrained and they pay part of the wage to the employer and the employer pays minimum to the worker. Not sure but trainee minimum is very low. We used to get all our young receptionist typists that way.

Training on the job may mean that the wage is minimum. The gov has schemes where people are employed and retrained and they pay part of the wage to the employer and the employer pays minimum to the worker. Not sure but trainee minimum is very low. We used to get all our young receptionist typists that way.

would you happen to have a link where to find those programmes? While visiting Centerlink we were not told of such. To my understanding, besides getting unemployment benefits, we should be on equal terms with the citizens on this. After all any wage is a wage...

Hi there. I am moving to Canberra in January. I am a librarian and am aware that I will not be able to find a job in my field in the beginning, for lack of local experience among other things. Anyway, I have been researching seek.com.au jobs for the last six months and they always have job ads for administrative assistants and positions with training on the job, especially on the retail field. Have you applied for those?

It seems that the most important thing a newly arrived to Canberra must have is a fair amount of savings to get by for at least one year.

not to put you off but to our knowledge January is dead in Canberra (and probably most other places as well) due to people taking holidays/vacations. It is hard now, so I have no idea what it is in January. You probably would be better off waiting til mid February, March. Of course I am not expert on this, but if it was us, I'd definitely delayed the move one or two months.

Maybe I am wrong about withdrawal (seem to remember my agent saying it) but I defiantly signed a document to say I would stay in ACT for 2 years, I think one should be very careful about moving to another state without written permission if they have state sponsorship. As with all things on this forum, it's always worth checking with a professional migrant agent as everything is hearsay.

I cannot find references to that. yes it is in the correspondence that you are obliged to do so, but there is nothing there saying what happens if you don't comply. Would you be able to get your agent tell you where did he/she read it?