Camping with kids - help!

DBC

So, I've decided that with summer coming I want to explore more of Victoria by camping. I need lots of advice....!

Hubby and I are camping novices and we have a 2 year old and an 8 month old. We have no camping equipment at all so need a tent, sleeping bags etc. I've spent a couple of hours on the internet today trying to work out the best type of tent to get, which sleeping bags to go for but there is soooo much out there I have simply come away with a headache!

I would appreciate any input from people that are seasoned campers regarding the size of tent we should be going for (we may also take our 2 labs with us once we've had a couple of practice runs) and where to go to get the best deals. The reason we are looking into camping (apart from loving being outside) is that it gives us an inexpensive way to see the various places we want to. We will probably camp for no longer than 4 nights at a time at sites with good facilities for kids. We're lucky in that the kids are great travellers and we keep finding our 2 year old sleeping on the floor at the moment!

If anyone with kids out there does this on a regular basis then please let me know what bits and bobs are essentials and which things are a bit gimicky and a waste of money.

Guest The Pom Queen

Our neighbours go camping every weekend and they have since their son was 3 months old.

We have just done a trip with BobJ. We use a pop up tent, you can buy them as 1 man up to 5 man. They aren't cheap but it is brilliant when you have been travelling as you don't need to mess around.

Here is a youtube of the tent setting up and packing away

I am going to go camping as well (Victoria) been asking over in lifeinvictoria about good camp sites. As for equipment... I think airbed, tent... always get one bigger than it says, a 3 man tent is good for 2 people, a 4 man tent is good for three etc.. Get one that is well vented for the australian heat, my current UK one is not so will probably need replacing. Wouldnt bother with expensive camp stoves, this is australia after all there is sure to be a free bbq :). You need a good torch, a pump to blow up airbed, sleeping bags, only thin ones, its going to be warm in a tent in the aussie summer

Guest The Pom Queen

Here is a photo of our set up on the Duncan Road by a lovely stream

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21059[/ATTACH]

Sleeping bags I would opt for a -10 as it gets cold at night.

We used a basic air bed last time we went but because I cannot stand up if I'm on the floor we went for a double high air bed, it was fantastic, really comfy to sleep on but took up all the tent.

Make sure you take some comfy chairs and a foldaway table.

Use portable gas stoves so easy.

We took our generator but didn't need it

Guest The Pom Queen
With a 2 year and 8 month old I would give it a miss and stay at home. Save yourself some frustration and expense and go on a few day trips.

Why? That would be such a shame. Kids love the experience

Guest The Pom Queen

I am going to go camping as well (Victoria) been asking over in lifeinvictoria about good camp sites. As for equipment... I think airbed, tent... always get one bigger than it says, a 3 man tent is good for 2 people, a 4 man tent is good for three etc.. Get one that is well vented for the australian heat, my current UK one is not so will probably need replacing. Wouldnt bother with expensive camp stoves, this is australia after all there is sure to be a free bbq :). You need a good torch, a pump to blow up airbed, sleeping bags, only thin ones, its going to be warm in a tent in the aussie summer
Believe me it can get cold, we had 8 degrees one night in Alice, but 38 degrees during the day.You can get a stove for under $14 this is what Bob was using and we bought one as well http://www.bunnings.com.au/gasmate-butane-single-burner-portable-stove_p3170991

They're just too young. They would hardly remember it and camping can be good fun as long as everyone can fend for themselves. Once you have to commit to being back for a snooze and hoping the baby goes to sleep, or it keeps you up at night, or nappies need changing, or a feed. Just seems to me like too much hard work and has the potential for everyone to be falling out and grumpy after a couple of days.

Too much like hard work and messing about. Some of us just aren't cut out for camping and especially not with kids. However there are others that thrive on the experience and it can be a great way of getting more holidays. I'm not a camper but I have friends in the UK that pretty much did nothing but camping. My advise is buy the best/largest tent you can afford for where you want to go in it and practise lots somewhere close by with lots of amenities before going too far off the beaten track so you get to know what you really need to take with you and what you can live without. I'd even go as far as suggesting you consider a camper van or caravan. Our friends have an old fashioned camper - they don't camp in it but take it with them and it's great for days by the beach with few facilities.

Guest The Pom Queen
They're just too young. They would hardly remember it and camping can be good fun as long as everyone can fend for themselves. Once you have to commit to being back for a snooze and hoping the baby goes to sleep, or it keeps you up at night, or nappies need changing, or a feed. Just seems to me like too much hard work and has the potential for everyone to be falling out and grumpy after a couple of days.

As I say the neighbours have been away every weekend camping, they even just go up to Ellis Beach, their youngest is now 2yrs but loves it so does his elder brother who is 4.

Camping can be as hard or as easy as you make it.

Yes I agree with changing nappies, feeding etc but you have that wherever you go.

I admit I've never camped before until this year and if I was 100% I would love it.

Each family is different, some love camping some hate it, but if you love it then I can't see it being a problem at all having young kids.

We considered a camper trailer but it would limit us on where we could and couldn't go.

As I say the neighbours have been away every weekend camping, they even just go up to Ellis Beach, their youngest is now 2yrs but loves it so does his elder brother who is 4.

Camping can be as hard or as easy as you make it.

Yes I agree with changing nappies, feeding etc but you have that wherever you go.

I admit I've never camped before until this year and if I was 100% I would love it.

Each family is different, some love camping some hate it, but if you love it then I can't see it being a problem at all having young kids.

We considered a camper trailer but it would limit us on where we could and couldn't go.

we went camping in the UK (Lake District) with a 1 year old and it was frustrating as hell. Wanted to be back home after a couple of days. Went to Albany and Esperance camping when the kids were 14 and 9 and we all loved it. The kids were old enough to go down the beach, ride bikes, be off with a few others of the same age, go to the movie night the campsite put on, brilliant.

I'd leave the dogs at home if you can. Many sites don't allow pets, or place restrictions that mean you'll wish you never brought them.

Keep the food simple. Forget about vitamins; go for one pot meals, with noodles etc. And plenty of snack foods.

Make sure you have a rainy day program.

Camping can be huge fun for children and the are some great sites that give them the freedom to wander about. Big 4 sites are pretty good, but not cheap. National parks are dead cheap, but don't allow dogs, generally.

We used to bush walk with our kids when they were little - me with the baby in the backpack and some bulky stuff and the DH with the tent (4 man dome IIRC) etc etc. an enclosed tent is good for Aussie conditions so you can keep the creepy crawlies and flying biters out. Don't pitch your tent under a tree and you should be fine. Buy good quality I reckon - nothing worse than being cold, wet and miserable with inappropriate gear. Have fun, it can be done and even easier if you have a car to carry stuff.

Thanks for all the replies! I've seen a great tent by Coleman that is one that goes up nice and quickly and sleeps 8 so we should have plenty of room. We are very lucky with our little ones in that they travel well so despite the warnings we'll be going ahead with the camping! We live close to the beach and they are never happier than when they are covered in sand, filthy dirty and outside! Our little girl is toilet trained so only one lot of nappies to deal with and we'll be at sites with facilities for the first couple of years.

Last question - does anyone have any experience of those self-inflating mattresses? I like the look of them but am wondering how good they really are. I figure the less we have to do the better!

Thanks for all the replies! I've seen a great tent by Coleman that is one that goes up nice and quickly and sleeps 8 so we should have plenty of room. We are very lucky with our little ones in that they travel well so despite the warnings we'll be going ahead with the camping! We live close to the beach and they are never happier than when they are covered in sand, filthy dirty and outside! Our little girl is toilet trained so only one lot of nappies to deal with and we'll be at sites with facilities for the first couple of years.

Last question - does anyone have any experience of those self-inflating mattresses? I like the look of them but am wondering how good they really are. I figure the less we have to do the better!

When I'm camping I sleep on a thermarest. It used to be the dingos' danglies, but nowadays most people go for something thicker. A 4 inch inflatable mattress is pretty good, although they do tend to wallow around a bit if you move. On the plus side, you can use them as a put-me-up if you get visitors. For the best nights sleep, a camp cot can be useful (a full size one; not for kids). They pack up small and they can be very comfortable. Being raised off the ground, even by 12 inches can make a real difference because the moist air tends to rest near the ground, and moist air gives you bone ache. If you get a double mattress then I guess both kids can sleep on it. I'd also suggest sheets and duvet rather than a sleeping bag. And a proper pillow.

It's surprising what you can put up with during the day as long as you get a good nights sleep, and equally surprising what can piss you off if you fail to rest at night.

One more thing about camping in general. It's really a big Ozzie pasttime. They'll have heaps more kit than you. But campsite friendliness is the stuff of legend.

Thanks for that - great advice. Hubby and I went camping years ago before kids but that was in the UK so expect it to be different here. I hope I can contain my camping equipment envy when we get to the sites! My mum is over in Oz in a few weeks and we're off camping for 2 nights in the high country on our own (horseriding) so we'll treat that as a bit of a practice run for the real thing.

We live in Victoria and just went on our 1st family camping trip last week to Mildura. We stayed in a Big4 which have great facilities for kids (mine are, 9, 6 and 3yrs). It was hard work as it was our first attempt with a few set backs but we will defiantly doing it again. We have one of those little stoves and it was great really quick to cook on.

Camping with kids can definitely be hard work (camping without kids is hard work actually!!) but also can be so rewarding and lovely!! We went from Perth to Ningaloo Reef with a 3 year old and just a roof top tent and to be honest we were a bit niaive but that trip is still the most memorable and fantastic one ever (3 years ago!) we've got the camping bug bad since and have traded in the RTT for a camper trailer and we love it. With kids it's getting the balance right, my hubby would go bush for weeks but we balance it with Big 4 campsites here and there!!! Good luck, you will have the best time xx

I have just returned from camping, we went to Blanket Bay in Cape Otway with a 5 year old and 3 year old, I have previously been camping a few times with a 7 month old. I have 4 young kids and we have a 6 man tent, the best thing about the tent is that the sleeping compartment is fully enclosed inside the tent, so no bugs can get in. In regards to equipment it depends on what type of camping you want to do, I have a Trangia set with the multi fuel burner, it's great and light weight so when we go bush camping it's easier to carry, but if you not worried about weight probably not really worth it. Everything we have is for weight reduction like titanium cups and bowls etc. I would recommend head torches and you can buy kids ones for your two year old. In regards to shops, I am a big fan of Bogong on Little Bourke Street, there are quite a few camping shops in this area, including Paddy Pallin. Otherwise check out Anaconda and Rays Outdoor. I also find Wild Earth, based in QLD, but good delivery charges a good place to buy things.

Guest littlesarah

We do 'van camping' in our VW Transporter - OH has made a modular bed frame system that will convert to a small sofa/seat for two, and then we use a tent to store our stuff. I made curtains & blinds for the van windows so we have privacy and sun protection, and we usually set up our cooking equipment outside. We're hoping to get an awning or two (twin sliding doors make that feasible) which would make things a lot easier/tidier.

Really, we both still yearn for a type 2, but I don't know if we'll ever get time for another restoration project!

We went into the big commercial camping shop as they have lots of product/tents already put up on display so you can see what sort of things we needed to start with and theyy give great advice if unsure. as for tents, I would go for a 6 man tent, we have this for 3 of us and I'm really glad. If your living, eating, sleeping in these tents for more than a couple of days it sure does pay off to have a little extra room. Ensure the sleeping compartment is fully sealed from bugs and critters. You can buy blow up beds that are very comfy and cheap, we all have a single one each as my hubby is a lot heavier than me and I would be bounced about at night with his turning over and so on.

Get the basics to start with and have a look at what other campers bring with them and what you feel you need extra next time you go. We learnt a lot from the first trip and have added to our equipment as we have gone along. We bought two of the little gas camping stoves as we felt one wasn't enough when cooking a meal.

Camping in Australia is so much fun with great campsite that have great facilities. We are enjoying it so much and hope you get the camping bug also. Enjoy x

Archived