Moving to Australia and interruption of studies

Geoffroy Alessi

Hello All,

My partner might be transferred from the UK to Australia by his company next year. I think it's a great opportunity for both of us and let's put it that way I don't think that refusing is really an option. However I am still doing my nursing programme and I have another year to go... So I'm not really happy with the timing... I know that life throws things like that and you have to embrace it but it's quite hard to think that I'll have made all those sacrifices for nothing. Has or is anybody else facing the same challenges on this forum... if you are, I'd like to hear from you.

I was also wondering if anybody else had already faced this issue and was able to re-apply to a nursing programme in Australia with the transfer of their academic credits from their UK college ? Is it also true that once qualified and registered with the NMC a nurse needs to have at least 3 months of post-registration experience before registering with the AHPRA ? If anybody has some answers, I'd love to hear from them :-)

Thx

Geoff

I have been informed that as a newly qualified nurse you do not need any work experience. Email them and they will inform you of that.

However, I am currently going into my 3rd year and whilst I love my husband dearly and would always try and put him first after the hard work I have put into getting this far, I wouldn't be throwing it away. Time is flying and I will be spending a lot of this year with my head in my books, is it possible you could join your husband at a later date when you have qualified? I am sure that way it will offer you both a far more fulfilling and rewarding life in Australia. Iv learnt not to think short term but of the long term, and what difference does a few months apart make if it enables you to gain a degree and for you both to be happy in your future.

PS I am presuming by the time he left you would be in your 3rd year, I could be wrong there. The other thing to consider if its much longer is to speak to a uni in Australia and points transfer however, I do believe the cost of studying is high.

You're not likely to get much RPL towards a nursing degree I would think. Far better to finish and qualify then move. Long distance relationships are a pain but perfectly do-able for a year or so. Other thing to bear in mind is that if you are going on a temp visa you pay international $tudent fee$$$$!!

We could have gone to Australia 2 years ago but I wanted to do my nursing. When we researched into doing it in Australia it was either waiting until I could pay residents fees or go and pay extortionate amounts of money. I looked into transferring and because of the differing course modules at different stages and being unable to transfer what I had already done it wasn't viable and I would have had to start again.

In the grand scheme of things a year would go so quickly especially as you are doing nursing I can't believe how quickly the last year at uni has gone. I'm an army wife, totally used to hubby going away and I know some people aren't like me when it comes to long distance and relationships etc but personally I would stay and finish your nursing. It will go so quickly and you can apply for jobs as soon as you join him in Australia. Xxx

Edited by Counting Stars

I would let your partner go first and finish your course. I also have been used to a long distance relationship though. I do think it would be much better all round for you though and with no OH to distract you it will be amazing how much more study you will get done! You do have to look at what you think is best for you though. It is difficult but doable

Hello Jac2011,

thanks for for your reply. It is really great to hear that I wouldn't be requested to have post-registration work experience. I also sent an email to AHPRA just to get a written confirmation. I think it is best if I stay and finish my degree. Will keep you guys posted. :-)

Good plan and good luck to you. The time will pass very quickly I am sure.