Does £60k household income mean your rich?

Guest The Ropey HOFF

We earn, just a little more than minimum wage, even with us both working, we only earned around 27K a year, i felt more than comfortable on that, we managed to pay childare for our youngest, run an almost new car, and have a holiday.

The secret i feel is to be not expect everything.

I don't dress my kids head to toe in next.

I saved up and bought my car outright, but bought a small one which is cheap to run.

I do not have a fancy house on a nice estate kitted out to look perfect.

Basically i don't keep up with the jonses!

Also i learnt quickly early on, don't get into debt, if i cant afford, i don't buy, i make do, we can afford our bills, but when you add credit, alongside running costs, then it becomes a problem.

Yes we live in the north, where everything is much cheaper, but i have plenty of friends on much more than me, but cant afford to live, all because they feel they need stuff. I don't understand it

I don't know what id do with 60K, so to me 60k pa is very rich, but as someone said, each to their own

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We earn, just a little more than minimum wage, even with us both working, we only earned around 27K a year, i felt more than comfortable on that, we managed to pay childare for our youngest, run an almost new car, and have a holiday.

I saved up and bought my car outright, but bought a small one which is cheap to run.

Also i learnt quickly early on, don't get into debt, if i cant afford, i don't buy, i make do, we can afford our bills, but when you add credit, alongside running costs, then it becomes a problem.

Yes we live in the north, where everything is much cheaper, but i have plenty of friends on much more than me, but cant afford to live, all because they feel they need stuff. I don't understand it

I don't know what id do with 60K, so to me 60k pa is very rich, but as someone said, each to their own

It is about cutting one's cloth accordingly, as you seem to do. I have lived on a pittance and I have lived on a high salary and everything in between. I have always cut my cloth accordingly and never got into any significant debt not when I was living on a pittance and not when I was very comfortable either and at no stage inbetween(exception being for mortgage which was a measured decision).

I still don't think 60k makes one rich though, comfortable maybe but rich definitely not.

It is about cutting one's cloth accordingly, as you seem to do. I have lived on a pittance and I have lived on a high salary and everything in between. I have always cut my cloth accordingly and never got into any significant debt not when I was living on a pittance and not when I was very comfortable either and at no stage inbetween(exception being for mortgage which was a measured decision).

I still don't think 60k makes one rich though, comfortable maybe but rich definitely not.

Your right, how you cut your cloth, can have a big impact on comfortableness.

I also feel it can be easy to feel richer than you are and it makes you spend easier, and then when the reality hits or circumstance changes, life becomes tight.

My husband says i am too stingy at times, but its that stingness which has got us ahead. I know i sound smug, its not that, im just proud of us for managing to do so well in a tough environment. I do feel though, even though we have always been fairly careful, the last few years have become tough, our general running costs have shot up, despite the fact we are making every effort to bring them down, just fuel, energy, and food alone are becoming worrying. i do feel lately a little more would help.

If people struggle on 60k a year your need more than 132k Australian or your be back to square one . That's going on the times 2.2 theory . It's a big ask to find a salary if 132k

See I have learnt from my mistakes here, I have learnt I don't want a large fancy house. I am more happy in a normal sized home where the kids have less space to mess up. We are also aware that by the time we get to Oz my son wont need childcare at all and my eldest two will be old enough to walk home from school rather than after school clubs. There is also the benefit that we will both be earning $60k minimum each when working and we have chosen to live in a less expensive area of Australia.

We now know that having money to go out, enjoy ourselves, to save is more important than all the fancy things we thought mattered two years ago.

I am hoping whilst it was a mistake two years ago, we have learnt a valuable lesson by experiencing a big house rather than getting to Oz and buying the largest, most expensive house we can afford.

They get worse! I see baby stuff in the shop and then think aww look that little tshirt is cheap but then you have all the nappies etc. Noo i think i'll just stay childless lol

I think this is where we were slightly naïve... we read how much the average person spends on a new baby and felt smug when we managed to spend just a quarter of that (buying everything second-hand - i.e. charity shops or car boots - bar the car seat and pram), and then when no. 2 came along we were living in a tiny house with a tiny mortgage and no. 1 wasn't yet at school, and then by the time no. 1 had started school I'd already had no. 3, so had no idea of the cost of uniforms, school trips, school lunches (don't get me started on that - we send them with pack-ups!), football kits, two sorts of shoes for the PE kit (plimsolls for indoor, trainers for outdoor), etc. And now we're in a much bigger house where they're lucky enough to have a room each (although my youngest's is very small and can just fit a junior bed and wardrobe in, so it'll be fun when she outgrows that, lol), and we feel blessed to be in our financial position. That said, I must reiterate that - after we've paid extra off the interest-only mortgage every month (starting from this month, hopefully) - which will basically mean we're paying the same as if it were a repayment but it gives us the option of not paying extra off if we're short one month (like we've been for the past 9 months!) - then we will have around £30 pcm 'spare'. We buy most of our clothes from charity shops, the kids' shoes in the clearance sales at Brantano (I buy whatever's cheap, regardless of size - so long as it's at least their size or bigger - and we stick them in a cupboard until they've grown into them). But if they suddenly need new shoes (like this month, with the trainers / wellingtons / slippers / plimsolls) I have to pay full-price. And my son has lost 2 branded school jumpers this year, and he wound me up by saying "just buy another, mummy"!! He doesn't understand that I buy everything at the beginning of the year as it can only be bought from an online shop with £4.95 p&p, and I can't afford to buy him another at the moment.

We spend most of our money on groceries, I think. Yes I could spend less than £165 pw if I gave them 39p beef paste on cheap white bread sandwiches with packs of biscuits and chocolate in their school lunches, but I don't see why their health should suffer just because it would save us money. So every few days I find myself topping up the shopping with fresh fruit, salad, vegetables, etc. If we go out for a meal (e.g. McDonald's or a "2 for £10" pub) we buy 2 adult meals, a portion of onion rings / fries and share it between us or, if at McD's, I'll get a £1.19 wrap, my husband will get a meal and we'll get another meal between the kids.

You find ways to make ends meet and yes, you definitely have to be good at managing money. I refuse to get into debt on what I consider to be a good wage (yes it's not much on a single income, but if we both worked then my wage plus some of my husband's would go on childcare, so I have to remind myself of that whenever I feel a bit skint and forget how lucky we are!). If we want something we save for it, or else look round the car boots / charity shops or wait until it's a birthday or Xmas. Of course, this doesn't apply to things that HAVE to be replaced, e.g. white goods breaking down, car repairs, etc. But I do a very comprehensive budget with everything accounted for, although I wish I could put more aside for unexpected tax bills, car repairs, etc.!!

I know a guy who has just been made redundant albeit with a six figure pay off, he was according to him on £140k - £180k a year along with bonus's. He drove a £70k Range rover and the wife had a similar car and they have been living the high life on that, he has also invested in a flat abroad and another property further down south as well as a big house here, the problem is that all his mortgages almost add up the the selling value of the properties and he is now in the shi7 big time because finding another job like the one he had will be very difficult. He basically said to me that everything he has earnt he has spent and a lot more as well!! Thats the other end of the spectrum from your post and i know which one i think is the most sensible.

Just nipped into town to get my 2 year old's feet measured and he's already shot up a whole foot size and needed winter shoes... £40 in Clarks! I don't mind getting cheaper when they are older but whilst their feet are growing I would feel awful in anything other than Clarks (I am sure these days though the staff are getting worse). Since when was a 2 year old's shoes £40? I am sure my 9 year old used to pay £25 or so when she was little and I thought that was bad!

Just nipped into town to get my 2 year old's feet measured and he's already shot up a whole foot size and needed winter shoes... £40 in Clarks! I don't mind getting cheaper when they are older but whilst their feet are growing I would feel awful in anything other than Clarks (I am sure these days though the staff are getting worse). Since when was a 2 year old's shoes £40? I am sure my 9 year old used to pay £25 or so when she was little and I thought that was bad!

I do sympathise! I can't believe how quickly my middle child's feet are growing - she's 4 yrs 5 mths and is a size 12!! That's the same size as my son, and he's almost 7 and 3/4! I used to think the same as you about shoes / Clarks, but I've discovered some very good quality cheaper ones at Brantano - probably around £15-20 brand new, but you can often get them in the clearance sales for around a fiver. Definitely worth checking them out if it saves you some money (and you're not compromising on quality) :-)

I think 60k is comfortable. We don't earn that between us but if we did we'd be happy. I do think it's not high enough to be hiking the tax up.

A girl I know who's husband earns over 100k said she didn't know why she had to be penalised by taking away her family allowance just because her husband went to university and has a good job :arghh: now that is irritating. Money should go where it's needed.

I think 60k is comfortable. We don't earn that between us but if we did we'd be happy. I do think it's not high enough to be hiking the tax up.

A girl I know who's husband earns over 100k said she didn't know why she had to be penalised by taking away her family allowance just because her husband went to university and has a good job :arghh: now that is irritating. Money should go where it's needed.

Guess it depends on their circumstances though - does she share his money with her? If not then she should be allowed to keep her family allowance.

I know of a few people who's husbands earn over the threshold yet don't share their money with their wife equally - so the wives are now worse off being low income earners and no family allowance. Not saying I agree with their situation (I'd be out of there like a shot if my OH treated me that way) but it's not all black and white for some people.

Archived