Eastern europe - vienna

bunbury61

IF you are into nice architecture or a bit of classical music , namely Mozart and Strauss , then vienna is worth a visit .

But Vienna isnt like the rest of Austria , in fact its nothing like the rest of Austria .

If you want mountains , crystal clear water and some cuckoo clocks go to innsbruck or salzburg .

I have visited vienna a few times now .......if you have in a list of " to do " places , then do the other first ....prague and krakow will give you a far better experience .

Vienna wouldnt make my top 10.....

eastern europe 2013 389.jpg

eastern europe 2013 275.jpg

europe 1 2013 276.jpg

europe 1 2013 415.jpg

europe 1 2013 402.jpg

eastern europe 2013 389.jpg

eastern europe 2013 275.jpg

europe 1 2013 276.jpg

europe 1 2013 415.jpg

europe 1 2013 402.jpg

I wouldn't call Vienna in Eastern Europe. I always thought it was part of the west. Maybe my Geography O level was wrong.

Austria borders (former) East Germany, Slovenia (former Yugoslavia), Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia. So although not part of the Eastern Bloc, is definitely on the Eastern part of Europe.

ahhh vienna, that big number 2 that cant match Melbourne :). enjoyed visit to Shombrun???? palace but get better value for money in Bratislava down the river

Wow really, Bratislava???? The hotels are cheaper for sure but what`s there to see? One of my least favorite cities. I don`t see how Bratislava can even compare to a city like Vienna. Schonbrunn is nice ( expensive entry) but if you plan your visit right, you`ll get into the museums for free ( it`s on a national holiday towards the end of October - possibly the 26th or 27th,not sure). The Prater, Stefansdom , Hundertwasserhaus, Capuchin monastery, all the music events, Christmas markets..... I like Vienna :biggrin:

ahhh vienna, that big number 2 that cant match Melbourne :). enjoyed visit to Shombrun???? palace but get better value for money in Bratislava down the river

As i said , not a big fan , not a fan of melbourne either to be honest .....when you have london and paris down the road , you are already looking at the worlds top 2

I wouldn't call Vienna in Eastern Europe. I always thought it was part of the west. Maybe my Geography O level was wrong.

Well, you're right. That's as if s.o. says UK is part of Scandinavia due to its Northern geographical level... Or just British humor ;)!?

Wow really, Bratislava???? The hotels are cheaper for sure but what`s there to see? One of my least favorite cities. I don`t see how Bratislava can even compare to a city like Vienna. Schonbrunn is nice ( expensive entry) but if you plan your visit right, you`ll get into the museums for free ( it`s on a national holiday towards the end of October - possibly the 26th or 27th,not sure). The Prater, Stefansdom , Hundertwasserhaus, Capuchin monastery, all the music events, Christmas markets..... I like Vienna :biggrin:

Vienna is as you say a city of culture. No comparison with Bratislava. I'm a big fan of Hundertwasser and his ideas on social realism.

As others said, it was not in the Eastern Bloc of communist countries. But, historically, it was part of the Austro-Hungarian empire and looked just as much to the east as to the west. Germany to the north had a foot in both camps with BRD in the west and DDR in the east. Perhaps better to opt for Central Europe - after all, it's a long way from Vienna to the Urals...

Austria borders (former) East Germany, Slovenia (former Yugoslavia), Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia. So although not part of the Eastern Bloc, is definitely on the Eastern part of Europe.

The German border was actually with West Germany rather than East Germany. There are also borders with Italy, Switzerland and Liechtenstein. But whilst Austria had borders with both east and west, the Iron Curtain made the boders with the east much less permeable than the borders with the west. But it's no accident that Vienna was the spy capital of the world during the Cold War, as alluded to in the Ultravox video.

Don't mix up Eastern Europe with the eastern bloc countries.

Austria Hungary and surrounding countries actually central/ Central Eastern Europe.

Eastern Europe starts from the Ukraine and Romania ...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived