Perth to Brisbane

shellybr

We have been in Perth for the last 2 years and are quite settled but DH company have now thrown a spanner in the works by closing the office and offering him a transfer to Brisbane. His boss has told him that his wages will go a lot further in Brisbane. We are just wondering is there anyone who has made the move from Perth to Brisbane and how did you find it. We love the weather and the laid back lifestyle here in Perth but it is cripplying expensive. Any advise?

Just soak it up. Your money will go further and there's lots more to see and do, (fairly easily), other than the city ...............Gold Coast/Sunshine Coast/both hinterlands with their lush rainforests........Lakes Wivenhoe/Somerset/Baroon/Kurwongbah/Samsonvale....................all within an hours drive and in some cases, (depending where you settle) much less

We have been in Perth for the last 2 years and are quite settled but DH company have now thrown a spanner in the works by closing the office and offering him a transfer to Brisbane. His boss has told him that his wages will go a lot further in Brisbane. We are just wondering is there anyone who has made the move from Perth to Brisbane and how did you find it. We love the weather and the laid back lifestyle here in Perth but it is cripplying expensive. Any advise?

On the face of it, not the worst position to be in.

Why did they close the office in Perth? If it's the first salvo in a round of cost-cutting then you might find that Brisbane isn't your last stop.

Purely based on our experiences for the last nine months - better to have a job than struggle without.

I would suggest that you take the job. If you own a house then rent it out so that you can come back easily should it not work out.

Ask your husband's company to pay relocation. Most companies will, but very often you need to ask as it will not be offered.

Hi Shellybr, is the move definitely going ahead then? It's a shame your feeling so settled & have to move, but I just want to reassure you that Brisbane ain't too bad...and it's definitely cheaper. Renting is much of a muchness in terms of cost, but shopping, eating out etc, much cheaper. We were 18months in Perth before getting itchy feet, but I always thought we'd return (never say never - still might). You will find that there is much more to do, very cheap & easy to visit Melbourne, Sydney etc...the suburbs are (IMO) much nicer, more character, lots of lovely cafe districts, generally a lot more going on. That said, I still have a soft spot for Perth. Sure, out here we have Gold Coast + Sunshine Coast nearby, and my fav - Byron Bay, just a short journey away but nothing and nowhere compares to WA in as far as beaches are concerned. Plus the beaches are a bit of a trek if you live inner city. How I miss the sunsets over the Indian Ocean...don't miss being sandblasted down the beach mind you! Weather wise, it's all down to personal opinion, I prefer Perth in Summer, Brisbane in Winter! It's very lush & green compared to Perth, the wildlife is amazing too. If you enjoy camping & the outdoors, like we do, a lot more options. Adjusting takes time, especially when the move is reluctant. I'm now torn between buying here or in Perth, been here longer than Perth now which makes the decision harder, I miss my friends in Perth & the long hot summers but realistically, I probably couldn't settle there now. Don't think I could afford to, and I'd probably get very bored quickly! Hands down my husband is 100% queenslander. Wish you all the best with the move.x

Hi Shellybr, is the move definitely going ahead then? It's a shame your feeling so settled & have to move, but I just want to reassure you that Brisbane ain't too bad...and it's definitely cheaper. Renting is much of a muchness in terms of cost, but shopping, eating out etc, much cheaper. We were 18months in Perth before getting itchy feet, but I always thought we'd return (never say never - still might). You will find that there is much more to do, very cheap & easy to visit Melbourne, Sydney etc...the suburbs are (IMO) much nicer, more character, lots of lovely cafe districts, generally a lot more going on. That said, I still have a soft spot for Perth. Sure, out here we have Gold Coast + Sunshine Coast nearby, and my fav - Byron Bay, just a short journey away but nothing and nowhere compares to WA in as far as beaches are concerned. Plus the beaches are a bit of a trek if you live inner city. How I miss the sunsets over the Indian Ocean...don't miss being sandblasted down the beach mind you! Weather wise, it's all down to personal opinion, I prefer Perth in Summer, Brisbane in Winter! It's very lush & green compared to Perth, the wildlife is amazing too. If you enjoy camping & the outdoors, like we do, a lot more options. Adjusting takes time, especially when the move is reluctant. I'm now torn between buying here or in Perth, been here longer than Perth now which makes the decision harder, I miss my friends in Perth & the long hot summers but realistically, I probably couldn't settle there now. Don't think I could afford to, and I'd probably get very bored quickly! Hands down my husband is 100% queenslander. Wish you all the best with the move.x

Besides if your living in the inner city as it would appear you've got the watery playground on your door step. Sounds like you made the right decision. Perth is indeed too expensive.

Besides if your living in the inner city as it would appear you've got the watery playground on your door step. Sounds like you made the right decision. Perth is indeed too expensive.

If, by the watery playground you mean Southbank? Husband & I don't have much use for it. Perhaps when we have kids... I do enjoy a meal or alcoholic beverage down at Southbank as well as the wknd markets but haven't as yet been 'on' the beach or 'in' the pool. It's lovely during the festivals & river fire mind you, nice grassy areas for picnics. I must say though, I love how the river is utilised in Brisbane. The city cat is a fab way to get around/ commute stopping off at new farm & Bulimba being my favourite. Gorgeous views of the city. I enjoyed South Perth too from the barrack Street Jetty. Anywhere near a body of water floats my boat lol.

Thanks for the replys. No nothing decided yet, we can pretty much go if we want regardless of what happens in the Perth office as they really the other half.

We are torn as we know long term Brisbane has more to offer and we can't afford to stay in Perth but the thought of having to start again. One of the big draws for us here in Perth is the beaches and we live 3kms from Sorrento Beach and not much more to Mullaloo.

I am trying to look at areas on line and it is really difficult to narrow down as we need ones with good schools. Chapel Hill seems nice on paper and has good schools but hubbie would prefer to be further out of the city but the schools seem to be a bit hit and miss.

Thanks for the replys. No nothing decided yet, we can pretty much go if we want regardless of what happens in the Perth office as they really the other half.

We are torn as we know long term Brisbane has more to offer and we can't afford to stay in Perth but the thought of having to start again. One of the big draws for us here in Perth is the beaches and we live 3kms from Sorrento Beach and not much more to Mullaloo.

I am trying to look at areas on line and it is really difficult to narrow down as we need ones with good schools. Chapel Hill seems nice on paper and has good schools but hubbie would prefer to be further out of the city but the schools seem to be a bit hit and miss.

Quite honestly!!!!!!!!!!!!..................feck the schools! We're working class background that found a suburb that seemed 'safe' after living in a crime ridden area in ther UK. One income family we managed to send our kids to a private school (locally) for $1000 a term. Was that an indicator of our mistrust of the public sector? ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,not at all, we chose purely because of the pastoral care, not the acedemic results.

I have an autistic son who now works as a teacher aide in the school that he did his schooling in, and another son who is now at UNI studying Justice. I have 3 older boys who had to join the army in the Uk in order to find decent prospects

Doesn't matter what prospects are out there...................what does matter is how you view those propects, whether they are for you, and whether it's worth the struggle trying to access them

Can't help you there I'm afraid, as yet, don't have kids. That being said, I did take an interest in this topic whilst in Perth as our whole reasoning behind the move down under was to start a family & provide a better life for our offspring. I can only think of 2-3 schools in Perth that stood out as places I'd 'like' to send my child, but I guess when you ACTUALLY have kids, you'd do more research. I also have many friends in Perth who are teachers & can give good insight. I'd be prepared to put my neck on the line and say Brisbane has probably got better options for schooling. The area is larger, not just North, South and the hills. Suburbs in general are more established whereas Much of Perth is still in development. Working as a nurse, in a large tertiary teaching hospital i come into contact with a lot of young Doctors and find it very refreshing that almost all are local, ordinary people who went to school in the same suburb or surrounding suburbs to where I reside. There are lots of universities and colleges in/around Brisbane making it possible for kids to get an education and find work in the capital city, which is even more important. Academia aside though, I truly believe a good school will only take a child so far, and a fantastic school doesn't automatically ensure good grades, parenting is fundamental to a child's development & motivation to do well. Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will all work out.

A good school is important to us, not necessarily a good academic school but a nice primary school that the boys will enjoy going to and will learn what they need to. He goes to the local State school here in Perth and we are very happy with it.

Looking at house prices in Brisbane compared to Perth, our money goes a lot further. Is it cheaper day to day compared to Perth.

Nats do you like Brisbane or do you regret leaving Perth.

A massive plus for us would be being able to travel on the east coast. My brother lives in Sydney and we can't afford to fly over from here but could from Brisbane.

Chapel Hill is nice, Kenmore is another consideration just 4 km further out from the city, and the next suburb over from Chapel Hill, it's lovely, green, leafy, and suburban. We've lived here over a year now and really like it. It has both a primary and secondary state school.

A good school is important to us, not necessarily a good academic school but a nice primary school that the boys will enjoy going to and will learn what they need to. He goes to the local State school here in Perth and we are very happy with it.

Looking at house prices in Brisbane compared to Perth, our money goes a lot further. Is it cheaper day to day compared to Perth.

Nats do you like Brisbane or do you regret leaving Perth.

A massive plus for us would be being able to travel on the east coast. My brother lives in Sydney and we can't afford to fly over from here but could from Brisbane.

Well in that case, you can't really go wrong. Everyone I know with kids are in good schools & thriving. Lots of after school & weekend activities, sports etc. I'm currently in Alderley, an older - somewhat affluent suburb (under 5ks from the CBD, but very much residential - too expensive to buy for us unfortunately lol) have a school right across the street, my friends kids go there, 1 in Kindy the other in primary it's lovely to see the kids all running around in the oval & on school breaks they put on outdoor cinema for them - a bonus as we can sit in the verandah & watch lol. It really all depends upon where you work & how far you wish to travel. Lots of expats choose North Lakes & Mango hill north of the city (not for me, but that's a very individual choice) which is near Redcliffe beach if you really need to be near the water - but don't expect it to be anything like Mullaloo, Sorrenta et al or you'll be very much disappointed. To the south, around Manly is another 'pommy' hotspot near the bay, I'm not as familiar with that area but I'd say it has more character, I really love more established, tree lined suburbs in favour of the very new estates but as I said before, that's just me, it's an individual thing, many of my friends (with kids) live there & love it. By living nearer the city I feel less cut off, but that means sacrificing the beach lifestyle. Bribie island is pretty nice too. As you've already worked out, you get more house/land for your money here than in Perth. That kinda swings it for us. Brisbane offers a lot more diversity, there's too many lovely suburbs to choose from, N,S, E & W. I've fallen in love with Samford, a little country village but very close to the city. I can't afford to buy there just yet so have been looking around Dayboro (a bit further out but worth it for the country lifestyle) but I wouldn't rule out buying in Bulimba, Indooropilly & many more places. Even if you don't live in the bay areas, there's so many wonderful day trips on offer, Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast, Stradbroke Island, Moreton Island, Rainbow Beach, monteville, Maleny...the list is endless. We've seen & done everything Perth has to offer at least twice!

Sorry, that was a bit exhaustive. Back to your questions...

I've been back to Perth twice since leaving, just to visit friends, when I returned I was shocked by how expensive things were. I'm referring to eating out, having a couple of glasses of wine. Extortionate, and not a lot of choice in terms of dining out. Pretty sub standard. Been a long time since I had to do a grocery shop in Perth to compare the difference but I'm inclined to think its more expensive. Having said that, I'm yet to find the equivalent of Drovers here which was pretty cheap for buying meat. There's a lot more choice here - in pretty much everything from coffee chains, restaurants & clothing. A flight down to Sydney takes 1hr & is very reasonable...it's akin to taking the train or bus, unlike the 5.5hr ride to Perth! Day to day is hard to say as again, it's down to however you spend. All I can say is I've done more (in terms of travelling) than I would have afforded in Perth, managed to furnish my house with entirely new furniture (still paying for storage in Perth) go out often, shop as I please (no kids) wknds away regularly & still manage to save, not as much as I'd like/need to I might add. Qld nurses are the highest paid in Aus, I earn at least $13 more p/h than I did in Perth, but I went from private to public & I have gained more experience so it's not like for like - if I were to return to Perth I would likely drop $10 p/h. So that's another thing we have to take into account if we were to return. I don't think we will tbh. I really miss my friends, haven't made many friends here but that's down to me, I can't be bothered, whereas in Perth I threw myself into meeting people & settling in Aus. I'm sure by the time kids come along that will all change anyway. I look back on Perth with nostalgia at times, the wonderful summers, lots of friends, gorgeous beaches, the swan valley...but the reality is, life goes on, things change - as do people, the beauty of Perth will always remain but I'd become very fed up and feel suffocated after a while if I went back. It's a simpler life, and better than the one I had in the UK, but Brisbane offers much more, can have a simple life here too, but your not restricted to it. Plus, your alot less likely to be eaten by sharks, that's a huge bonus!

Can I also say...this sub tropical climate is amazing for growing pretty much everything!! I am a complete novice when it comes to gardening, lived in a flat in Glasgow and never had a garden. Well, I am growing so many tomatoes I cannot give them away! I have every herb imaginable, limes, chillies, capsicums...how I long for the day I have my own place, I'll be growing veggies galore! Such small things, but it has made me so contented & I find it very therapeutic. And I'm doing really well not to kill anything (touch wood) all thanks to the climate! My friends think I've turned middle aged, but I love it...next I'll be getting chooks!!!

Right, I feel like I'm taking over this thread now but, if I were to offer you some advice, take it or leave it, this is it...

Look on it as an adventure... give it 6-12 months, if you don't like it/ prefer Perth, nothing to stop you going back. Relocating to Brisbane, if even only temporary allows you to visit your brother, see the east coast, sample a different lifestyle. Your children will have SO much to see & do, from theme parks, the endless wildlife parks, national forests & hinterland. Be open to experiencing everything QLD has to offer, I spent the first 6-12 months longing to go back to Perth not appreciating everything qld has to offer. That was a very miserable time for me/us stuck in limbo. Embrace the adventure. Give it a chance, get out and about...with kids this shouldn't be too hard. The worst thing you can do is compare, when you stop doing that you find new things, things that Perth lacks. I could get shot down for this but I'd avoid moving too far out of the city ie to suburbs such as North Lakes. My rationale...most families, my friends included never venture out of North Lakes, why should they, everything they need is on their doorstep. The traffic lights, commute, train journey to the city is too long, and of course there are beaches nearby, 1hr from sunny coast - great for families. Not to be ruled out but I'd recommend living closer to the city to start out. I made the mistake of moving to currumbine when in Perth, don't get me wrong, it wasn't all bad...I had a pool, burns beach just 10min walk away but I rarely got out and about around the city, was too much effort. Cut me off from friends. North lakes is same distance to CBD as joondalup to Perth except traffic is worse! North lakes is like a version of joondalup. Houses are new, modern 4x2 as you'd expect, cheaper, lovely. Who doesn't want a spanking brand new house...I for 1 still play the WA MS Lotto, I'm not gonna turn down a McMansion...who would?? We fully intent to build your standard modern 4x2 but not in one of those master planned communities (similar to ellensbrook)...greater Brisbane has much more to offer, & bigger blocks. Unlike Perth, your not cut off by moving further afield for bigger blocks.

My husband is adamant we're renting & buying NEW aka Iluka standard, and I'm happy for that, just not in a suburb akin to Clarkston, Butler...sorry, I know that always offends people. But it's so not for me. I should say, north lakes is not another Clarkston or butler but the thing is, you tend to stay in the area you first arrive in. I, personally feel that if you spend some time around 10k radius of the city in an established suburb it's quite enriching. You really feel a part of the Aussie community. Kids are always at the centre of focus, most suburbs have a community pool (which you can use practically all year round) every wknd there's markets, just so much going on. You'll still do all the beach trips even if you don't live right beside it...you'll just do more! When we look for rentals, priority is a modern kitchen & bathroom...it's as simple as that, try something that isn't the new thrown together 4x2 and you get in exchange a house with a beautiful mature garden, possums, lorikeets, gallah's, lizards etc you might pay a little more but you'll save $100+ p/w on commuting not to mention the time commuting. I live <5k from the city yet NEVER (or at least rarely) go into the city. But I'm near everything, southbank, newfarm, the valley, paddington etc I should add, Brisbane CBD has a lot more going for it than Perth - not difficult.

We're renting a converted queenslander atm, moving to Wavell Heights in just over a week...so funny, when my husband saw where we were moving he was like "a treehouse...your moving us into a treehouse" it goes against the grain for him, growing up in the UK and the thought of buying a 'wooden house' but at the end of the day, it's not ours, we don't have to worry about the upkeep/maintenance...what we've got now is an amazing spacious light & airy home in a beautiful green suburb we could never afford to buy in. It's been a wonderful experience & we are both gutted to be leaving. The landlord sold! Most of my colleagues (Aussies) grew up in & around the inner city suburbs, or rural, they have a distaste towards Northlakes etc too...they've grown up very differently, very full enriched lives. I find north lakes a bit like keeping up with the jones' but as I said, I have friends there & in mango hill. They have lovely houses & it's safe for kids to play, but many of them have never heard of mount glorious or been to the botanic gardens...

I would agree on the suburb thing. I live in wooloowin about 10 mins walk from Albion and clayfield restaurant strips. Its 5k to the city and full of tree lined streets full of great looking Queenslanders. North Lakes looks pleasant but it seems to be no mans land between the city and sunny coast. Don't really see the appeal. I also prefer the redlands pommy area. Mainly for the awesome British curry house!

I would agree on the suburb thing. I live in wooloowin about 10 mins walk from Albion and clayfield restaurant strips. Its 5k to the city and full of tree lined streets full of great looking Queenslanders. North Lakes looks pleasant but it seems to be no mans land between the city and sunny coast. Don't really see the appeal. I also prefer the redlands pommy area. Mainly for the awesome British curry house!

Lastonealive we're going to be practically neighbours! I'm moving to Wavell Heights as I said. Got lost enroute to the viewing - oops! I am so going to miss my current rental, but our new street looks lovely & the house is so homely. Sooo quiet, no busy roads! The neighbours have a pool, 1st task is to befriend them!!! Was gonna do a drive around today as I was at Chermside, but I've got 12 months to get my bearings!! So Wooloowin is opposite kedron then?? Think I'm gonna be about 9k out now...close to chermside? So long as I'm not past carseldine...that's my limit. Driving up & down that gympie road...I'd lose my licence in a week!

My daughters both live in Brisbane and I try to get over at least once a year, honestly I would say its no worse or no better than Perth CBD itself. Not so keen on Wynnum but that's my personal opinion. I haven't found any difference at all in day to day costs. Eating out is on a par as is drinking out. The man made beach would be OK for famies with little kids but not for adults. If my girls want beaches they hop in the car and drive down to Surfers or up to Bribie Island.

My daughters both live in Brisbane and I try to get over at least once a year, honestly I would say its no worse or no better than Perth CBD itself. Not so keen on Wynnum but that's my personal opinion. I haven't found any difference at all in day to day costs. Eating out is on a par as is drinking out. The man made beach would be OK for famies with little kids but not for adults. If my girls want beaches they hop in the car and drive down to Surfers or up to Bribie Island.

im not fussed on wynnum either, but I'd say I prefer it to Redcliffe. That said, my colleagues are keen to show me a different side to the northern beaches...I look forward to that! There is no contest as far as I'm concerned in regards to Perth v beaches in South Qld. Perth beaches are stunning! Having lived in Perth CBD for 6 months however, I'd have to say Brisbane wins hands down. They're both pretty rubbish compared to the UK, but when westfield is your only alternative, I'm so glad they exist. I agree with your comments re: the man made beach in southbank, it doesn't really appeal to me but my friend has a baby & it's ideal for them. My aunt visited recently & she loved it - the grandkids would enjoy it. As for surfers, not my cup of tea at all, the beach itself is lovely, especially on a cloudless sunny day - it looks spectacular..and at night when it's deserted (closest thing to the endless white sandy beaches of WA) but I loathe surfers. Backpackers paradise. Gold Coast has so much more to offer. Are you in WA que sera sera? I've seen your name here & there over time.

Lastonealive we're going to be practically neighbours! I'm moving to Wavell Heights as I said. Got lost enroute to the viewing - oops! I am so going to miss my current rental, but our new street looks lovely & the house is so homely. Sooo quiet, no busy roads! The neighbours have a pool, 1st task is to befriend them!!! Was gonna do a drive around today as I was at Chermside, but I've got 12 months to get my bearings!! So Wooloowin is opposite kedron then?? Think I'm gonna be about 9k out now...close to chermside? So long as I'm not past carseldine...that's my limit. Driving up & down that gympie road...I'd lose my licence in a week!

Wavell Heights is nice it was one of the areas we were looking at. In the end we ended up buying a 2 bed 2 bath ground floor unit with a big courtyard and a big balcony (sloping block) actually bigger than some of the "townhouses" we looked at further afield. I'm close to Wooloowin train station, walk to Albion Hotel when we hit the pub takes less than 10 mins.

Kalinga park to the south of wavell heights/nundah and to the north of us is great place for a walk if you haven't been there before!

No, haven't been to Kalinga Park before, will have to investigate it. Really like Albion, cracking Indian restaurant/ takeaway. Sitars I think it's called, it's a chain but very good al the same. Never see rentals coming up in Albion.

Archived