Visiting the UK?

jimmyay1

I've been hear nearly a year and am loving living in Melbourne. I kind of miss family but we Skype. Most of the time that's fine.

However i am planning a trip back to Europe next summer to see friends. but i have no desire to "pop in" and visit the UK at all!

i may meet some family elsewhere in Europe instead so it's a break for everyone.

Does everyone go and visit the UK regularly? At work i know people who go back every 6 months or a year or two.

How many have never been back since they emigrated, or only very rarely? Am i alone in feeling little desire to visit Britain?

Unless I'm going back to England for good I have no desire to visit.....lets face it you will spend a ton of money and probably spend all your time running round visiting people......I'd rather spend the money and go somewhere new on holiday.....explore the world.

No, not alone. On my last, recent trip we did what you're suggesting. We flew into London but left almost immediately on Eurostar for Europe. We caught up with a couple of family members in Paris later on in our trip.

I've been here for nearly 34 years and only been back 6 times. So, on average, once every 5-6 years.

It's nice to go there, see what's changed (not much, I always find), catch up with people etc but it's not something I need to do too often.

I did for the last 10 yrs or so, it was the only thing that kept me sane. In the first 10 yrs we couldn't afford it much but we did a couple of trips and my parents visited every year for 6 months. After that we went for significant family events or sent the the kids in their own. Towards the end the only way I could survive was to have the next trip organized before I'd taken the last LOL

Now my husband does the annual trips back to Aus for family.

I've been hear nearly a year and am loving living in Melbourne. I kind of miss family but we Skype. Most of the time that's fine.

However i am planning a trip back to Europe next summer to see friends. but i have no desire to "pop in" and visit the UK at all!

i may meet some family elsewhere in Europe instead so it's a break for everyone.

Does everyone go and visit the UK regularly? At work i know people who go back every 6 months or a year or two.

How many have never been back since they emigrated, or only very rarely? Am i alone in feeling little desire to visit Britain?

Can quite understand how you feel. I was overseas for many years and didn't want to visit the UK much at all. One time I went for a 2 week holiday and within a week I was planning my return to 'home'. Didn't want to be there.

I like the idea of going to Europe and having a proper holiday. Meet family/friends there somewhere. We plan to do the same as we've friends living all over the place and tbh even if we visited the UK we'd never see a fraction of them. I'd rather have a proper holiday and visit the UK maybe for a few days to see parents and so on. Looking forward to staying with friends in France and perhaps Spain if we can time a trip right.

I've been back to the UK twice in the 2.5 years we've been here. The second time recenty and largely unplanned. It was only a short trip, but it felt like I spent a day too long there and I was only excited when I started travelling back to Heathrow and home here in Australia. Would much rather the family came to visit me...

We've been here two years and have been back twice already, we're planning a trip back next September as well.

It's more about missing people and wanting to see new members of the family (nephew was born in June and a close friend is due in April next year). My husband also misses the place a lot, so it's a compromise really.

We've been here about 9 months and have no desire to go back. We've said we will not even visit until we have been here 2 years, to allow us to properly settle. Personally the thought of 24 hours on a plane with toddlers leaves me feeling ill. I would rather explore some of Australia than go to the UK for a holiday.

Archived