Will I be earning enough to live in Brisbane?

Mark77

Hi, I have been offered a job in Brendale in Brisbane, The salary being offered is $54000 aud. I would like to rent a 3 bedroom house in the outter suburbs and I have a wife and 3 children. Would we be able to afford to live in Brisbane on this salary??

What visa would you be on? On a 457 I'd be inclined to say it would be hard. On a PR visa you would get Family Assistance (a bit like child allowance and tax credits)

It's a hard question to answer - perhaps look at your income now if its £25-30k then you will be able to live a similar lifestyle in Brisbane.

Hi, I have been offered a job in Brendale in Brisbane, The salary being offered is $54000 aud. I would like to rent a 3 bedroom house in the outter suburbs and I have a wife and 3 children. Would we be able to afford to live in Brisbane on this salary??

Would you find say £25k liveable in UK? If so then you might find it about the same. Would you be moving from UK or are you over here already? On what visa? It doesn't seem worth uprooting from UK for to live on below average earnings.

Thanku for all the responses. I will be leaving the UK on a 457 visa. I am on less than 25k stg at the minute so I will be earning more in Brisbane! I'm hoping this job will get us started in Oz and if we can afford the basics we will be happy with that at the start.

Thanku for all the responses. I will be leaving the UK on a 457 visa. I am on less than 25k stg at the minute so I will be earning more in Brisbane! I'm hoping this job will get us started in Oz and if we can afford the basics we will be happy with that at the start.

Just remember no tax credits or child benefit when you compare to £25k, if it is still more then that is something, you are obviously able to live within your means. The other thing I would point out is that the 457 is a temporary visa and it always will be, people sometimes think they magically turn into permanent visas after two years but they do not. It is temporary, you might have to leave unexpectedly if you are made redundant say and that can be an expensive venture if you are not prepared for it.

As a rough guide, divide the wage by 2.5 and that'll give you a fairer idea of the true exchange rate, taking into account cost of living here which is higher than the UK. Don't use the current actual exchange rate as this isn't a reflection of what your actual wage would translate to.

To be perfectly honest, I live in Brisbane, and I think that on a 457 so no access to any other financial safety net, that that wage is low for a family your size.....

54k income, tax approx 17.5k, rent at 400 (20800 a year) a week which you will be lucky to find in Brisbane equates to, 15700 left for the year which gives you 301 dollars a week for food, bills, travel to work, look after family. If you are not bringing any money over or you wife wont be work, I would say impossible on one salary. Australia is very expensive and to be fair to feed your family may cost what you have left....sorry

These properties are about 350 a week and not great and outer brisbane

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-stafford+heights-411268963

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-acacia+ridge-411268367

400 a week in chermside, still need to pay for travel into city

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-chermside-411263939

Have a good look on Realestate.com.au before you do anything.

Really appreciate the replies. We have been trying to get back to OZ for a few years and in my job I don't think I will get much higher wages although the salary will be reviewed after a year and may increase ovr the first few years. My wife would be willing to work but this would have to be in the evening or parttime as we would then be in to paying child care. We are serious about making the move but with 3 kids in tow we really need to be able to provide for them. We should have a little savings left to bring over aftr flights start up costs etc.

Really appreciate the replies. We have been trying to get back to OZ for a few years and in my job I don't think I will get much higher wages although the salary will be reviewed after a year and may increase ovr the first few years. My wife would be willing to work but this would have to be in the evening or parttime as we would then be in to paying child care. We are serious about making the move but with 3 kids in tow we really need to be able to provide for them. We should have a little savings left to bring over aftr flights start up costs etc.

I think you're certainly doing right by weighing up the pros and cons now rather than later. But 54k is about 1k per week gross. I don't see how it could be done. Although it might cover the day to day expenses, it wouldn't cover an one-offs. 4 weeks bond on a rental and a car would be the first things to come to mind, but there are many more that cost less individually but soon add up. On top of the strict financial calculation, there's also the added uncertainty of the visa class. Currently you wouldn't have to pay for schooling, but that could change. And these changes are introduced in a merciless fashion. Potentially this could mean 12k school fees each year. And, of course, there's the question of how stable the employer/employment is. To be honest, the visa class would worry me more than the initial salary.

"the salary will be reviewed after a year and may increase ovr the first few years."

That would bug me..........................if it isn't a given that it will increase, then you will be going backwards. 54K is the lowest that I've known it done by a PIO member with two kids whom I personally know, but they were on PR.

I reckon you'd be into strife on that salary with the added expenses of a 457 and lack of benefits.......................I certainly wouldn't risk it under the current political and economic circumstances.................you'd be walking a tightrope and one puff of wind would knock you off.....................sorry.

Guest Guest70948

Where does the figure to divide a salary by 2.5 to get a comparison to the UK salary actually come from? As this is not accurate for myself or any of my English family/friends.

The tax free threshold in Australia is now $18,200 so you will only be taxed on the remainder. However you are also entitled to LAFHA so could potentially pay minimal tax only on that salary. I'd say your wife would need to work too since you do not qualify for Government benefits and that is a below average salary for Australia.

Where does the figure to divide a salary by 2.5 to get a comparison to the UK salary actually come from? As this is not accurate for myself or any of my English family/friends.

It has been the rule of thumb for years and many people have attested to it being a good guide. Of course it is not "2.5" exactly, I personally think that anything from about 2 - 2.5 will provide reasonable guidance. It is not really a guidance on salary, some jobs may genuinely command a higher or lower salary in one country, it is actually guidance on the purchasing power of your $ - a shopping cart with same goods in same brand quality would work out that way for example.

The tax free threshold in Australia is now $18,200 so you will only be taxed on the remainder. However you are also entitled to LAFHA so could potentially pay minimal tax only on that salary. I'd say your wife would need to work too since you do not qualify for Government benefits and that is a below average salary for Australia.

I put OPs pay into the paycalculator earlier, they will come out with $850 a week, they want a three bedroom house, so that will probably be about half of that. They need to work out if they can live on the rest.

And LAFHA is long gone.

When my husband and I made the move six years ago, his first job was on aa similar salary to the one the OP is proposing. We were on a 495, which also meant no government help. Until I had all my teaching qualifications assessed and could work, it was a very hand to mouth existence (we have 2 kids) and this was very stressful. His wage did go up in time and then I worked more and more and slowly we did get there. However, I think you shouldn't underestimate how very expensive Australia is to live in. As a teacher you are on roughly double what you are paid in the UK but yet it doesn't go very far if you have rent or an average mortgage. Silly things you wouldn't necessarily factor in really eat into your weekly wage and 3 kids cost a fair bit to maintain. You have things like school fees (even for state school) and other unforeseen amounts to constantly shell out.

It is worth trying something out rather than regretting it forever - I would definitely still say that where there is a will there is a way. Still be prepared for every negative so you can support each other. Perhaps also ensure that in your contract it covers you for all relocation costs if the job comes to an end prematurely.

Thanks again for all the info! We are constantly on job sites etc but it is good to hear some real life experiences. I am a mechanic so Im not going to get a higher offer. I have been told that once I get there and prove I am up to the job my salary will go up.. The company are well established, have been in business for 100 years and have a few thousand employees, the location in Brisbane is good, so that is all positive, only doubt we have is the salary!

Does anyone know how hard/easy it is to leave a job on the 457 visa and move to another employer?? I have recently got my certificates for the Offshore Oil & Gas, I know the salary for this in Oz is nearly triple than that as a mechanic but I have no idea how to go about it and if I could get a 457 visa to go to the Oil Rigs especially as I have no experience Offshore yet?!

Reading the other replies, I would have to weigh in heavily with $54K will be a HUGE struggle if you are having to pay full rent out of that.

You can do it but you will have to be incredibly frugal watching every dollar, and hearing those words and living them are two different things.

If you arrive with a spare AU$30K "after" purchasing what you need here, then that may be ok as you have some emergency fall back money, but if you have no reserve I could see 5+ years of real hardship.

Unless you have a real chance to get a 20K pay rise in the first few years, I will say don't do it!

Is there anyway you could try and do this via a PR Visa rather than 457?

I have 3 children and are looking at moving to the GC and my basic salary will be around 58k however we know we need a PR as we can claim family benefits which are approx. $700 per fortnight providing a safety net until my OH finds work. It was this that allowed us to move, without it financially I don't think I would have taken the jump. I also looked at GC as I found Brisbane too expensive for housing and we are looking at 3 bed shared complexes for around $350 a week to keep costs down in the beginning whilst we settle.

I think the salary is possible if you change some of the other factors, ie housing location, visa type etc.

As others have mentioned Perth has just suddently implemented a $4000 per year charge for schooling for any child on a 457 visa and this is for existing visa holders already in Oz too. This is in line with NSW and ACT. Who knows how long it will take QLD to follow suit? You would be unable to survive at that point.

According to the ATO tax would approximately be $9097 per year, not 17.5, it is $3572 + 32.5c for each dollar over $37,000. the figure of 17.5K would be more accurate for someone not classed as resident for tax purposes. Even a temporary visa can result in being resident for tax purposes as long as you meet all the criteria.

54k income, tax approx 17.5k, rent at 400 (20800 a year) a week which you will be lucky to find in Brisbane equates to, 15700 left for the year which gives you 301 dollars a week for food, bills, travel to work, look after family. If you are not bringing any money over or you wife wont be work, I would say impossible on one salary. Australia is very expensive and to be fair to feed your family may cost what you have left....sorry

Archived