Childrens names

Petals

My mums name is Lily, her sisters names are Ivy, Iris, Rosy and Violet, they are all 80 and over now and don't sound strange to us.

My nan was one of ten kids, 4 of which were girls and they were all named after flowers. Rose, Daisy, Violet and lily. When people started calling their daughters these names I thought the names were old fashioned because I think of all the old ladies in my family lol.

I have a friend who has called her 2 daughters Tilly and Annie. I have another friend who has called her 2 daughters Sydney and Frankie. I went to school with a girl called Victoria Dickson who got teased because her initials were VD. The same with Brenda Owen (BO) lol. I've also got a friend whose name is Tracey and she married a fella whose surname was Lacey. Tracey Lacey. I'd of kept my own name ha ha.

I have 3 boys, Richard (Richy) Adam (Ad) and Jonathan (Jonny). They all seem happy with their names.

Debs (Debra)

My nan's name was violet too. I also see those names as old fashioned, but nice.

My name is Pauline. It is old fashioned and I've always hated it. For a few years I was with a guy who would call me Paul. I didn't mind that. For some reason lots of people over the years have just started calling me polly. I'm not sure why, three lots independent of each other.

My sisters name is Vikki and she always hated having to spell it, and the mortal sin of them calling her Victoria! My mum had an amusing phone call with the school where they were complaining that she was totally blanking her teachers if they called her Victoria. My mum pointed out that was because it wasn't her name. Her birth certificate says Vikki, she has never been a Victoria. I don't think they were pressed.

For any children I might have I think I'm heading for a more traditional name for a girl. I kinda like unisex names for a girl. Boy I'm not sure of.

Reading kids names out for the first time in class is always a bit of a challenge.

I always say that if they wish for their name to be lengthened, shortened or pronounced differently they need to tell me so I can do so from the next lesson onwards.

I always write the 'new' name phonetically on the register anyway.

I have had kids that never pipe up about pronunciation of their name and a parent will correct me 10 weeks into a year at patents evening.:arghh:

As pointed out above, even traditional easy names can be spelt differently.

Mine have fairly popular names but still have them spelt incorrectly constantly. There is a similar, more popular, name to my DD's name and she gets that all the time.

I wanted names that had the long form but could also be shortened so they have some options when they are older.

Oh dear I quess I'm one of the ones who's picked funky names for their kids :confused: Although my husband is Turkish and the names are not unusual there they are here in the UK but I still tried to choose wisely and pick names that sound ok here. My sons name is the most unusual but I love it and so does he even after we found out its the name of pepper just spelt differently haha.

I wanted names that had the long form but could also be shortened so they have some options when they are older.

Totally with you on that one - I do kind of feel that those parents who christen/name their children with the shortened or diminutive form already are limiting their personal choices as they get older! If you call your child Alexander for instance, you can call him Alex, Lexy, Sandy, whatever you want when he is little and cute, but when he's 40 years old, 6ft 4 and built like the proverbial brick outhouse, he might find being called Lexy a little embarrassing!

My kids names aren't traditional, tbh I don't care what people think of my kids names. I chose them for a reason, still love them. 10 years ago when we chose our first kids name it was pretty unheard of and now every kid is called it lol and the other one of my kids has a name that is also a place and I haven't come across people disliking his name (to my face everyone loves it) lol xx

My mums name is Lily, her sisters names are Ivy, Iris, Rosy and Violet, they are all 80 and over now and don't sound strange to us.

Agree with you, I had a great Aunt Ivy, another Great Aunt is Violet, my Grandmother was Rose. Nothing odd sounding about that at all and they are names that age very well..

In terms of ridiculous, stupid for stupid's sake names I do hear you Petals, but I do think that any name calling/ kids picking on kids can happen with any name. Cate-lin, Elizabeth, Liz-beth or Fan-tutti-pom-pooty :biggrin:

lol

Archived