Do you wear glasses?

BritChickx

Almost Yes. You must be wondering the ALMOST factor. Well our vision with glasses is very refined i.e High definition. Even if you ask someone who doesnt have any weakness, to wear glasses of a low index, they would find the world clearer than their normal vision. So the vision is not as clear by it's corrected 99.9%. There's no difficulty in reading/writing or even driving. Initially you may see some halos around the lights that is also because usually nowadays people are using anti-reflective glasses. But with the passage of time it heals and image sharpens.

I would propose LASIK to people who have high mayopic beyond -5 lets say. Their life is very much dependent on glasses so yes they can compromise on 99.9% clarity without glasses.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had to look at this thread as it keeps popping up as one of the most recently posted to and I must say I am amazed it is still on topi! Just so you know, I have recently started wearing contacts for distance.

Your own choice, But if you want to opt for LASIK ever, you need to keep cornea healthy. So avoid it

• 4 weeks later...
Guest The Ropey HOFF

I sometimes wear glasses for long distance, I have seen a slight deterioration in my long distance eye sight over the last few years and I am considering laser eye surgery, my wife's mate has had it done and she says it's fantastic.

So i went with the Lasik and it turned perfectly fine

Shariq - does that mean you now have perfect vision at both close range for reading and long range for driving without the need for glasses under any circumstances? I'm still struggling with the idea that one operation can cure vision across the entire range and 'sort of' believe that you can cure short-sightedness with an operation to improve distance viewing, but will still need glasses for reading - in effect, swapping glasses for driving for glasses for reading.

I know this is an old post but I thought I would answer anyway as this thread carries on. I was shortsighted, about -6, -7 which is pretty bad and means completely dependent upon glasses. I know that some people are both long and short sighted but most are one or the other. I went from being as helpless as a baby without glasses to being glasses free for just over five years now after laser surgery, I can barely remember wearing glasses although I did from age 7.

Now I am 43 and have just started to notice some traits of long sightedness like holding the book or menu further away from me in order to read it. I don't have reading glasses yet and don't need them, but I sense I wil before I am 50. Had I not had laser surgery I daresay I would not have gone long sighted or needed reading glasses, but it is a minuscule price to pay.

I know this is an old post but I thought I would answer anyway as this thread carries on. I was shortsighted, about -6, -7 which is pretty bad and means completely dependent upon glasses. I know that some people are both long and short sighted but most are one or the other. I went from being as helpless as a baby without glasses to being glasses free for just over five years now after laser surgery, I can barely remember wearing glasses although I did from age 7.

Now I am 43 and have just started to notice some traits of long sightedness like holding the book or menu further away from me in order to read it. I don't have reading glasses yet and don't need them, but I sense I wil before I am 50. Had I not had laser surgery I daresay I would not have gone long sighted or needed reading glasses, but it is a minuscule price to pay.

What you are speaking of is something quite different to long sightedness. You are becoming presbyopic, which happens to everyone, regardless of whether they have had surgery or not, over the age of 40 or so. Laser surgery corrects long or short sight, by changing the shape of the cornea (the clear covering on the front of the eye) in order to focus the light on the retina (a short sighted eye is too big or the cornea is too steep, a long sighted eye is too small or the cornea is too shallow). Presbyopia is an ageing change that happens when the lens inside the eye, which is responsible for changing focus from distance (relaxed) to close (contracted). Over time, the lens becomes more stiff, and doesn't change as easily to its contracted (close focussed state), which makes reading more difficult.

Had you remained short sighted, then you could have simply taken your distance glasses off to read (albeit very close to, given your prescription), but that is because you are presbyopic, not long sighted.

I hope that makes sense. I used to work as an optometrist, before I had the kids.

• 4 weeks later...

I have worn glasses since the tender age of 18 months old. I will probably never be able to go without and have had surgery also. I used to just get a couple of pairs of the cheap specsavers things but the screws always used to fall out but now I get 1 pair of 'good' ones every 18mo-2yr (except I don't like the ones I have at the moment and the only reason I got them was because the lens got chipped in my good glasses, and they couldn't repair for some reason(?!??!) and I didn't have a spare, and I also couldn't afford the ones I wanted even with my optical extras on private health.

Glasses in Oz = $$$$$$$$$ if you want ones that don't break, esp when you have to wear them all day every day for everything.