Do you wear glasses?

BritChickx

Just a random question....i'm short sighted and i hate it :cry: I have to wear glasses for watching tv and driving lessons etc... but they REALLY don't suit my face, and I was thinking maybe i should just get contacts so i can see clearly all the time and at work too, i mean i'm not that bad but i can't read writing more than like 2 metres away unless it's massive. I should really wear them all the time because i got really bad eye strain before but just don't feel confident wearing them when i'm out and about! :GEEK: do you think it's worth getting contacts or even laser surgery if my eyes got worse? Anyone else wear glasses or have an eye problem which they hate? :frown:

Can my eyes get better as i get older? i've been needing glasses since i was 18

Edited by BritChickx

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Guest26012

I wear glasses for reading and for driving, well prescription sunnies for driving. Have done since my twenties. I like my glasses and wouldn't have contact lenses as I don't need them all the time. Can't stand the thought of putting something in my eye lol!

Hated glasses never really got on with contacts so had my eyes lasered years ago now. When they were done they left one eye deliberately short sighted. I had great vision then and still do as my eyes have aged and mates have reading glasses that eye is now perfect!

Seriously though both lenses and laser have moved on since then. I would start with lenses. O ly ever consider laser if you eyes are stable and not still changing.

I wear glasses and hate them, ment to wear them all the time but kinda wear them as and when and for driving mainly. I looked into laser eye surgery but couldn't get it done as my eye is too curved and prescription too high but I can see well enough without them so I go with that. I tried at the opticians to put contacts in but couldn't, am funny with my eyes and touching them, but then I know many ppl with lower prescriptions than me who can't see without their glasses or contacts whereas because I don't wear mine and make my eyes overwork they still manage without. The opticians hav said I have unusual eyes as they overcompensate and that I shouldn't be able to see without glasses with my prescription. I'm just going with ill make them overwork until they can't and by then if they go that way hopefully there will b surgery available to fix them. I've had glasses since I was 5 tho hence the dislike for them

I wear them all the time and I also hate them. The range of glasses when I first got to oz were terrible, they were all too big for my face. I had a quick look last week in one and their range of smaller glasses has got much better.

I prefer how I look in contacts, but I can't wear them for work as it is too dusty and windy so I end up with what feels like boulders caught in them. I have had to go to the eye hospital a couple of times because of contacts. One of those times I had an ulcer on my eye!

Lazer surgery would be great, but I just can't justify the cost at the moment. :-(

maybe in 10 years time when my short sightedness has stopped ill get laser surgery, i want to get contacts but worried about infections and ulcers! even if you do everything you're supposed to with them there's still a risk so that tends to put me off, but i think ill need to try for a month or whatever and see how i get on.

I wear glasses all the time, i cant go without them. I used to stop wearing them if i was going out to a pub/club, i dont feel very nice looking with them but then realised it was just stupid.

You could try contacts, lots of people use them. I have a family member who did the laser eye thing, was good for him. Not sure i fancy that though. Im sure you look fine with glasses though

Guest Ptp113
Just a random question....i'm short sighted and i hate it :cry: I have to wear glasses for watching tv and driving lessons etc... but they REALLY don't suit my face, and I was thinking maybe i should just get contacts so i can see clearly all the time and at work too, i mean i'm not that bad but i can't read writing more than like 2 metres away unless it's massive. I should really wear them all the time because i got really bad eye strain before but just don't feel confident wearing them when i'm out and about! :GEEK: do you think it's worth getting contacts or even laser surgery if my eyes got worse? Anyone else wear glasses or have an eye problem which they hate? :frown:

Get laser as I did. And eyes get worse not better as you age.

The opticians conned me! I had to wear mines since primary school and im sure they said they would get better and eventually i wouldnt need to wear them. Still wearing them at 23.. The idea of laser eye freaks me out a bit but i dont like putting things into my eyes so dont think i'd do well with contacts

I wore glasses since age 7, my sight went progressively worse until age 38 when I had laser eye surgery. I think I went through a period in my early 20s when I suited and enjoyed wearing glasses but on the whole I preferred being without them. My eyes were at -6 or -7 which as I am sure you know is pretty bad. I had laser surgery five years ago and I have noticed that my near sight has suffered and I struggle to read menus for example, but I can live with that. The advantages hugely outweigh the negatives.

Laser eye surgery is quite simply the single most, best thing I have ever done in my life.

Apologies in advance if only those who have had -7 eyesight can understand that.

Well, soft lenses are comfortable and you don't feel them. They swim on a wet film on your lenses. However, eye doctors advise to not wear them all the time and change to glasses in the evening hours or at weekends. If you wear lenses for years, your eyes potentially will dry out a bit and your eye veins change due to missing possibility to breath.

I worked as an optometrist until I left to have our children, and I wear glasses myself (very short sighted/myopic since the age of about 13) so I can see things from both sides! I have worn contact lenses since I was 18 (so more than half of my life), but would never consider laser/lasik due to the fact that you can't guarantee the result and due to the number of patient that I used to see where it had failed.

If anyone has any eye/vision related questions, I am always happy to help, although it has been a few years so I am a bit rusty!

I am also shortsighted. Many of my friends envy me because I can do close work and read without glasses ( I take them off to read) I don't actually mind wearing them and get new ones every couple of years and ones that go dark in the sun that look like sunnies anyway. I had a macular hole in one eye and got a cataract so had an interocular lens put in . They wanted to fix up the other eye with a lens too but I wouldn't let them because I wouldn't be able to read without glasses if they did that. Personally I would avoid lazer surgery unless you really have to because I have met one or two where it went wrong for them- it isn't worth the risk in my book. If you have to have it- well that's different.

What happens if it goes wrong - do you go blind?

You could. Although that would be an extreme side effect.

Most commonly I used to see people who had been left with eyes that were so dry that they were painful. The other thing was that they used to consider an acuity of 6/9 as acceptable (which is what you need to see to drive), but in my contact lenses I can see 6/5 which is much, much better. So there is a discrepancy in what is seen as successful surgery and what I (and most other people) would consider to be successful.

I'm very short sighted - got glasses when I was about 12, and contact lenses at 16. I love my contacts, don't put them in every day now as a bit lazy. I have thought about laser surgery but some of the side affects worried me, dry eyes, not being able to drive in dark, halos. Knowing my luck this prob would happen to me. Wearing contacts hasn't stopped me doing anything- swimming, was a lifeguard for years,padi, skydiving, wearing normal sunglasses. I don't need a mirror to put my contacts on and can take out in the dark- life of a backpacker..... My hubby also wears glasses he has tried contacts a few times- he just can't manage to get them in. Daily contacts are so cheap now it's always worth trying them.

Edited by lebourvellec

I hate wearing glasses, they are the bane of my life. I've worn them since I was 3. I wear contact lenses when I go out but I don't get on with them either. When I came to Perth, I went to an expert in laser eye treatment in Subiaco all prepared to pay to have laser so that I didn't have to fart about with tinted glasses etc. but they told me my eye condition was not up to laser eye surgery. I came away gutted :cry: Have a consultation before you make you mind up.

Edited by Que Sera, Sera