Britain is Booming

Guest The Pom Queen

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess I don't know any better because i've always lived in the south!

Think us peeps down south have had an impression of the north instilled on us poss vice versa, I always pictured the north in black and white etc, but having travelled through its a beautiful country, though I havnt lived there. I have lots of friends here form scotland toonland yorkshire midlands etc and we all get on great, good banter and humour, one thing they always refer to me as a southern softie lol great people,

yes i put it on the market 3 years ago but they wanted too much reduction on asking price, all things happen for a eason i guess as its now back up to a decent appraisal

depending of course on what people are willing to pay for it.

I grew up in Fratton

I love Perth, been here few years, love both the uk and oz, renting house at the moment, I am gas eng plumber by trade but gained A levels in psychology uk and study here too. both countries been good to me, I can love and hate both places sometimes lol.

problem at the moment is if i sell house i still need large mortgage here to buy, and job situ in perth not that secure. i jst plod along really, read the news here and UK always keep up with the soap opera called pompey. how about you

Well i missed home that's why we came back from nz instead of moving to aus but now i'm here i'm thinking WTF everything is exactly the same and everyones got their own lives, so now trying to get back out there as paul has PR so need a partner visa. the visa cost is just a biatch to save up! But i'll get there!

All take time, took me 2 years to get my visa in 2003, I keep my gas licence updated here in Perth so I am able to do the odd job, I work full time and study too.

I can happily liv in either country to be honest. If i didnt have this adventure streak I would have been mortgage free at 40. but then life is short, oz was there so I went for it

Guest Guest26110

Booming lol what a joke, I'm earning less than I was in 1989, London is the only place thats doing ok. The construction industry is still on its knees. We still have mass youth unemployment, the best they can hope for is a shift in Costa coffee. Anyone who thinks the economy here in the UK is booming must be crazy!

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Booming lol what a joke, I'm earning less than I was in 1989, London is the only place thats doing ok. The construction industry is still on its knees. We still have mass youth unemployment, the best they can hope for is a shift in Costa coffee. Anyone who thinks the economy here in the UK is booming must be crazy!

The Tories are trying to hoodwink the voters.

As has been discussed a million times on here before. It all varies on the individual. For geologists like me, it is far better and has been better even through the Oz boom and uk recession in the uk. I have friends in IT in Manchester, Leicester and London who have all done very well in the last 5 years.

If your earning less than you were in 1989, I think you should seriously look at a career change.

The UK is not booming I agree, but it's on the up. London is not the only place doing okay. I came back here to live in Leeds in 1998 after I returned from living out there. I have had pay rises every year since then and got the biggest one (10%) this year. There's plenty of other places outside London doing okay.

It is down to an individual's perception of their circumstances and if they are so unhappy they should do something constructive about it and not just whinge. The UK is generally a good place to live, I could think of a lot worse places.

I used to be registered for sub contract work doing gas with diff agencies, for some reason I am now getting several e-mails from them asking if I available for work in the south. Lots of work and good money there. shame my licence and gas safe reg expired, could have had a working hol :-)

I also think peeps still in the uk waiting to get here always look for the negatives in the uk either consciously or subconsciously, probably helps with their reasons for leaving.

I remember back doing the same

think you are right ....not booming , but its better than it was ........i know little about the building trade , but i was with 2 managers of different major building companies yesterday .......about 25% better than last year .....not brilliant but things are startiung to move

Guest Guest26110
think you are right ....not booming , but its better than it was ........i know little about the building trade , but i was with 2 managers of different major building companies yesterday .......about 25% better than last year .....not brilliant but things are startiung to move

Amen to that comrade

Problem is, this isn't just a UK issue... More than ever in history, global economies are linked, so what happens in say China or Brazil WILL cause a ripple that will knock on to High Street UK.

A bit of sunshine in UK may lift the mood and sell a few more houses and cars for a quarter, maybe two, but friends of ours in high London finance tell us its naive to think things are turning with major companies (globally) struggling.

Politicians of all persuasions will say their policies will get the country through (they would wouldn't they). Don't believe it. Until there is much tighter regulation of banks and banking practices, the people like us at the end of the paper trail will be the ones to pay.

Problem is, this isn't just a UK issue... More than ever in history, global economies are linked, so what happens in say China or Brazil WILL cause a ripple that will knock on to High Street UK.

A bit of sunshine in UK may lift the mood and sell a few more houses and cars for a quarter, maybe two, but friends of ours in high London finance tell us its naive to think things are turning with major companies (globally) struggling.

Politicians of all persuasions will say their policies will get the country through (they would wouldn't they). Don't believe it. Until there is much tighter regulation of banks and banking practices, the people like us at the end of the paper trail will be the ones to pay.

globally this includes oz, dont be naive to think the boom lasts forever, learn from europe but you cannot change

Archived