Britain is Booming

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

Although it's an article from the Daily Mail so people may not agree

A stream of good news for the economy yesterday gave hope that Britain is finally emerging from the downturn.

Figures showing that house prices had risen by almost £10,000 in a year were just one part of a wider economic recovery alongside improved orders for manufacturers and a revival on the high street.

It also emerged that new car sales surged by 12.7 per cent in July compared to a year ago, with a total of 162,228 registrations.

And the National Institute of Economic and Social Research said the economy grew by 0.7 per cent between May and July as the recovery picked up pace – double the 0.3 per cent seen in the first three months of the year.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest scrumpy

Definatley busier, everyone seems flat out, so Im guessing in time we will be importing more from China/Asia, so Im guessing they will be importing more from OZ

I do alot of guessing!

But yes, the doom n gloom feels like its lifting

Guest The Ropey HOFF

It's not really booming but things certainly are picking up at long last, the Bank of England Governor says there's going to be a sustained recovery in the British economy which is great news for those of us who might emigrate in the next year or so, this should see the pound strengthen against the AUS Dollar and hopefully it will go back up to $2 to £1 or even above in the next year or so. It will make a massive difference to us, if we go.

Hmm, have you seen the programme about Zero hour contracts? it seems that unemployment figures are affected by this big time and estimates are that between 1- 1.3 mill would be listed unemployed if this type of a contract didn't exist. As far as we can tell, not much changed in East Anglia. And if house prices were to go up just means that less people are afford to get a mortgage. So it may be booming a bit in the London area, but that remains a question in the country side!

Hmm, have you seen the programme about Zero hour contracts? it seems that unemployment figures are affected by this big time and estimates are that between 1- 1.3 mill would be listed unemployed if this type of a contract didn't exist. As far as we can tell, not much changed in East Anglia. And if house prices were to go up just means that less people are afford to get a mortgage. So it may be booming a bit in the London area, but that remains a question in the country side!

Have to agree, up here in the North east, house prices not going up

Good news then, it's only a matter of time before the old girl gets up off the floor, all my friends at saying the same that things are just turning around now.. If history repeats we won't see another recession for around 15-20 years..

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I think there's a huge difference to what the economy is doing and what is happening to most of the working populas, who have been hammered by this government, yes the economy is starting to grow a bit, but the majority of people have seen their wages stagnate and even go down, so there's a long way to go before the majority of people see things improve for them personally, the Labour Party said yesterday the average household income is down by £1500 a year, which taking into account that inflation is always going up, is quite a sizeable amount.

I think there's a huge difference to what the economy is doing and what is happening to most of the working populas, who have been hammered by this government, yes the economy is starting to grow a bit, but the majority of people have seen their wages stagnate and even go down, so there's a long way to go before the majority of people see things improve for them personally, the Labour Party said yesterday the average household income is down by £1500 a year, which taking into account that inflation is always going up, is quite a sizeable amount.

labour..!! Blair and brown= mr and mrs innocent in your eyes.. How well Blair was advised to jump just before the crash, brushed his hands off and let the country go down the pan. As that note said. " there's no money left "

Guest The Ropey HOFF
labour..!! Blair and brown= mr and mrs innocent in your eyes.. How well Blair was advised to jump just before the crash, brushed his hands off and let the country go down the pan. As that note said. " there's no money left "

Brown and Blair were cretins and should have been sent to the Tower for what they did, Cameron and Clegg are hammering the working man, something the Tories do everytime the get in to power.

Brown and Blair were cretins and should have been sent to the Tower for what they did, Cameron and Clegg are hammering the working man, something the Tories do everytime the get in to power.

After today's speech by the BoE governor, the pound has just shot over a percent to touch almost 1.73...

While in Australia, the interest rates have been cut to an all time low.... the days of 2:1 seem a possibility.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
After today's speech by the BoE governor, the pound has just shot over a percent to touch almost 1.73...

While in Australia, the interest rates have been cut to an all time low.... the days of 2:1 seem a possibility.

With the slight downturn also in Australia and the possibility they might go into a mini slump for awhile, not a recession, there's even more chance of it hitting the $2 mark which gives parity to each of the currencies and will give us about an extra $125,000

Well why hammer rich people...? How would you feel if you started from scratch made something of yourself only for people to tax you so much you almost give up...? I have respect for people who's done well for themself.. How about the millions of people who are robbing the system..??? The scum bags who play the system..?? You know the answer... Cane the wealth creators even more.

With the slight downturn also in Australia and the possibility they might go into a mini slump for awhile, not a recession, there's even more chance of it hitting the $2 mark which gives parity to each of the currencies and will give us about an extra $125,000

yes, combined with the lower interest rate and the exchange rate inching towards $2 will help us paying off our Aussie mortgage sooner..

The Tories love a good housing bubble don't they. Young people found it hard enough to get on the housing ladder as it is. Thought the tories would get all their mates in big business to start investing again with an election creeping up fast. After all they've been sitting on billions of pounds all along because most of them haven't suffered during this financial crisis (caused by bangsters by the way , not the disabled or unemployed). The tories have had a very successful parliament for them and their buddies. Privatisation of the NHS and Royal Mail, lower wages and more job insecurity. Now they'll have a fire sale of the nationalised shares of the banks to pay off a chunk of the deficit and all the bloody sun and mail readers will say, look its all turned round now, and vote bloody Tory again, god help us!!!

Well that figure depends how much you make a year. But in the last four years averaging a 2.5 % (inflation figure) loss and no raises, a £20000 salary from 2009 now only worth £18000 which of course buys even less of everything these days.

What is sad, that this is a salary of a professional with a BA Honour degree and several high level NVQ diplomas. Opportunities are very scars and it is hard to imagine that people who make much less, how do they survive. What this country lacks is higher taxes on imports that would encourage to keep jobs in the country. It is always politics, regardless which party rules. There is always an agenda to fill pockets, and let's face it once an MP is elected can do whatever they feel like doing.

We talk about democracy, but way back in Greece politicians were serving FREE and were accountable for their mistakes, that often required that they paid with their lives. I am not saying this is a practice to follow, but if an MP only got paid what the Minimum wage is and could be recalled if the people who voted felt that he or she is not doing a good job, I am willing to bet that interests of getting the economy back on track would be at of a higher priority.

well my wages have gone up (slightly) and my holiday pay even better! I am on a zero hours contract but i work for an agency so it's expected, I can pick and choose shifts (well not now but soon) but there's always plenty of work. The only thing i don't like is i have to accumulate holiday over time rather than being given 4 weeks straight off.

Hi

Sorry to bore you all....but it's not quite how it seems when here. If you will allow I will tell you a story :-)

My husband is a civil engineer for a big company balfour beatty....they have just made massive cuts (especially in the North West) he has been in civils for a long time and is now a project manager for 5 sites....job losses above and no pay rise for 4 years and now took his car allowance off him....£39K for this level and a 60 hour week....

I work as a customer service manager in a contact centre doing 45 hours a week for a rubbish company with no benefits earning £32k. i don't see my kids and we are struggling. Our weekly food bill for healthy food is £145, my council tax is £159, gas and electric is £170 per month and mortgage is £1000 for a 3 bedroom house!!! We have lost 30K on our house in price value (Its not going up) and the we did £30k work on it to improve and they valued it less than what we paid. To spend time in the gym (no parks because they are full of well scum!) this cost us £125 per week.

I know things are not always greener over there, but please don't think it is easier here. xxxxx

Archived