At what stage do you get a Bridging Visa

sami

Is the 457 due to run out? If so the bridging visa will kick in then, it will have the same conditions as the previous 457 meaning he must stay with the same employer. Note if he leaves the employer the bridging visa A is cancelled with the 457 and he would only get a bridging visa E, which is a very undesirable bridging visa and best avoided.

Is the 457 due to run out? If so the bridging visa will kick in then, it will have the same conditions as the previous 457 meaning he must stay with the same employer. Note if he leaves the employer the bridging visa A is cancelled with the 457 and he would only get a bridging visa E, which is a very undesirable bridging visa and best avoided.

I think the OP (or their partner) is the primary holder of the 457, not their son who is the applicant for the new visa.

Agree bridging visa E is draconian, but you can get the work rights changed if you plead hardship and can prove it. Luckily my daughter had hers lifted and can now work with no restrictions while she waits for her partner visa to come through. Still can't leave the country though as far as I know. Her main problem was because she left her 457 sponsored job, the only bridging visa appears to be E, until either her partner visa comes through or she got another sponsor. I still can't quite get my head around this as her 457 visa has been officially canceled but of course it's all in the wording: eg cancelled is not ceased??? as it was a 4 year visa originally.

Any one with any advice or experience of any way around this please comment, but it's yet another potential problem for anyone on a 457 visa.

Actually he is on our 457 visa - my husband being the one being sponsored, and my son studied here and now applied for his own visa. Our visa runs out end of September, so needs to be renewed, reason why I wondered if the Bridging Visa would be issued soon.

Hoping that he gets a CO soon and visa issued pretty soon too...

Thanks

Is the 457 due to run out? If so the bridging visa will kick in then, it will have the same conditions as the previous 457 meaning he must stay with the same employer.

Although this is correct in many instances, not so for the bridging visa associated with a Subclass 189, as this bridging visa has NIL conditions.

Actually he is on our 457 visa - my husband being the one being sponsored, and my son studied here and now applied for his own visa. Our visa runs out end of September, so needs to be renewed, reason why I wondered if the Bridging Visa would be issued soon.

Hoping that he gets a CO soon and visa issued pretty soon too...

Thanks

The bridging visa is issued immediately upon valid lodgement, not when a case officer is assigned.

If your son has not been notified of; a) valid visa lodgment and b) grant of a bridging visa, he should follow this up urgently.

Agree bridging visa E is draconian, but you can get the work rights changed if you plead hardship and can prove it. Luckily my daughter had hers lifted and can now work with no restrictions while she waits for her partner visa to come through. Still can't leave the country though as far as I know. Her main problem was because she left her 457 sponsored job, the only bridging visa appears to be E, until either her partner visa comes through or she got another sponsor. I still can't quite get my head around this as her 457 visa has been officially canceled but of course it's all in the wording: eg cancelled is not ceased??? as it was a 4 year visa originally.

Any one with any advice or experience of any way around this please comment, but it's yet another potential problem for anyone on a 457 visa.

Some people in these circumstances have been known to lodge a review application.

Archived