IELTS how hard?

Kooky

Any advice on this test - anyone know where to get past papers to study from? Is studying needed if you are English? I am a teacher (secondary) so have studied degree/PGCE so I think I have a relatively good command of the English language (although I do teach drama and dance so some may question it!).Is it relatively easy or will I need to study? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

I sat my IELTS in April, its not difficult but you will need to study pass papers to know what expect on the day. When you book your exam and pay for it you will also be sent a link of study material. I also got some IELTS books through amazon. I wouldn't recommend not studying before hand.

It would be advisable to familiarise with the format of the test and what to expect on the day, there are lots of rules about what you can have on your person and take in with you and it was a bit unsettling and a bit of a palaver frankly putting things into store rooms. As a secondary teacher I would certainly hope you will walk this test. I also use my literacy skills every day and found the test to be a breeze, 30 minutes prep was more than sufficient to get 2 9s and 2 8.5s for me.

I had to do the academic version so can't comment in the general, but I would liken the academic one to a GCSE English exam...if english is your first language and your reasonably educated its simple so don't get too worked up about it, but don't have a skin full the night before as it is a fairly long day.

Golden rule say what you see and do not interpret anything. If its not written or said its not. Remember test is aimed at people whose first language is not English. A lot of native English speakers go wrong as they interpret what has occurred.

Any advice on this test - anyone know where to get past papers to study from? Is studying needed if you are English? I am a teacher (secondary) so have studied degree/PGCE so I think I have a relatively good command of the English language (although I do teach drama and dance so some may question it!).Is it relatively easy or will I need to study? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I am also a secondary school teacher. I worked through one example of each test to see the format. That was sufficient for me to get 4 9s. I believe that for your skills assessment you need 7s, which is a breeze.

Don't forget spelling, punctuation and grammar matter on every test. You will notice that they choose a fair few words you will know, being a teacher that are trickier to spell, or homophones (e.g. son, sun) where you would need to pick the right one.

I found the speaking the most stressful as I had zero interest in the topics the examiner had chosen and I thought I had blown it. When I got home I did some more digging on the net and stumbled across the criteria for this, which related to ease of listening/ ear strain. I.e. how hard does the examiner need to concentrate to understand you. I wish I had seen this before I went for the test; I would have been less stressed about. Sorry I can't remember where I found the criteria, but will see if I can find it and post a link if I have time later.

I am certain you will be fine, just one if many silly hoops you have to jump through. No pain no gain? Right?

Good Luck!:biggrin:

Golden rule say what you see and do not interpret anything. If its not written or said its not. Remember test is aimed at people whose first language is not English. A lot of native English speakers go wrong as they interpret what has occurred.

That is very sound advice!

HHey I sat the test last week and thought I've got a degree how hard can this be? I'm glad I listened to advice on here and from my brother who had sat the test to practice! It's useful to understand technique ESP reading! I started a thread on this couple of weeks ago so check it out as you may find it useful?!

good luck!

Guest scrumpy

Its about passing IELTS not English. I worked that out by the 3rd attempt, for the likes of me who hasnt written an essay for over 20yrs, it was quite a learning curve!

But my worst score was 8.5 so it can be done

Good luck

I'm a teacher too. I found it easy enough but what I wasn't prepared for was the intensity of the day. It was a full on 3 hours with very little time to check things through at the end. Bottom line though is: learn the format and don't over analyse things and you'll be fine.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm a teacher too. I found it easy enough but what I wasn't prepared for was the intensity of the day. It was a full on 3 hours with very little time to check things through at the end. Bottom line though is: learn the format and don't over analyse things and you'll be fine.

The problem with me is, as a social worker, I over analyse everything! lol That's going to be my downfall, I think.

The advice on this thread has made me feel a little more at ease though. I need to get 8s across the board as I need the full 20 points that come with them. Got my test in York on Saturday. Have done some practice and getting around the 95% mark but it is cutting it fine. Will just keep practising for the rest of the week. Thanks for sharing guys. :biggrin:

Debbie

The problem with me is, as a social worker, I over analyse everything! lol That's going to be my downfall, I think.

The advice on this thread has made me feel a little more at ease though. I need to get 8s across the board as I need the full 20 points that come with them. Got my test in York on Saturday. Have done some practice and getting around the 95% mark but it is cutting it fine. Will just keep practising for the rest of the week. Thanks for sharing guys. :biggrin:

Debbie

Good luck!! Keep practising its all about technique!! structure your essay, speaking is all about fluency, reading you really need to practice then its easy once you know what they expect..listening I got caught out (still passed) but get some practice as its easy to get distracted...overall its wasnt as bad as I htought it would be! hope you get your 8's!!

Thank you so much everyone I feel so much better with all this advice! I think my biggest worry is nerves. I have dyslexia (it is mild) and it tends to make me paint and not really structure things very well under pressure! The other thing is the short term memory problem with my dyslexia - I tend to forget what I have just read/heard very quickly!! HOWEVER I got through my degree with no help for it (only realised I had it when teacher training!) so I am sure I can do it with practice!

I can't work out though how much you have to score - is it an average per section or is it all sections have to be a certain score? I'd really like to get the 20 points (though 10 would be ok) but not sure what I have to get score wise?

thanks everyone.

Good luck moss2oz xxx

i meant to say I 'panic' not 'paint' ha ha :jiggy:

There are some differences between the general and academic tests, so make sure you sit the right one.

If you study the books for the academic tests, you will find the general a breeze. If you study for the academic and sit the academic there will not be any surprises.

My husband and I both studied for about 20 minutes a night for the week before the exams and both got 9s in everything. Incidentally, studying the books on grammar taught us a whole lot we never learned at school, so we have saved them to teach our kids when they get old enough to learn about grammar!

I can't work out though how much you have to score - is it an average per section or is it all sections have to be a certain score? I'd really like to get the 20 points (though 10 would be ok) but not sure what I have to get score wise?

Kooky, you need to get 7, or 8, on all sections. The average does no count. I got 8 as an average, but my 6.5 on speaking means 0 ponts in Skillselect.

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for hijacking this thread but have been searching this site to find out how to pot a new thread and forgive me for being stupid but cannot find out how!! I'm sure someone will come along and point it out to me after which I shall feel rather silly. Anyways, sat the IELTS test just over 2 weeks ago and got results 9 in both writing and speaking, 8.5 in reading and 7.5 in listening. Aaaarrgh - the last one let me down as I needed at least 8 for all. So, have booked on for the second time and was hoping to hear some positive success stories about this instead of what I have come across in that people are sitting it for the 6th,7th etc time. Also, that they mark down sometimes if they know you are wanting to emigrate and so squeeze more money out of you! Am hoping that's not true. I know where I went wrong in the listening. I just need to focus and keep up. Also, does anyone know if you can use previous test marks on some modules. For example, if I re-sit and get 7.5 on the reading but 8s on the rest can I use my first exam marks as I got 8.5 first time round? Hope this babble makes sense.

Hi,

Nice results you have there, sorry for the Listening.

You can only use the results from one exam, you cannot combine them.

I do not think they can downgrade you, especially in Listening and Reading, where the answering sheets are verified by computer.

Cheers

Apologies for hijacking this thread but have been searching this site to find out how to pot a new thread and forgive me for being stupid but cannot find out how!! I'm sure someone will come along and point it out to me after which I shall feel rather silly. Anyways, sat the IELTS test just over 2 weeks ago and got results 9 in both writing and speaking, 8.5 in reading and 7.5 in listening. Aaaarrgh - the last one let me down as I needed at least 8 for all. So, have booked on for the second time and was hoping to hear some positive success stories about this instead of what I have come across in that people are sitting it for the 6th,7th etc time. Also, that they mark down sometimes if they know you are wanting to emigrate and so squeeze more money out of you! Am hoping that's not true. I know where I went wrong in the listening. I just need to focus and keep up. Also, does anyone know if you can use previous test marks on some modules. For example, if I re-sit and get 7.5 on the reading but 8s on the rest can I use my first exam marks as I got 8.5 first time round? Hope this babble makes sense.

Hi,

The reading and listening are either right or wrong, there is no way they can marks you down on these. Speaking and writing are a bit more subjective but there are still guidelines that should be followed re marking. I don't actually think they can mark you down simply because they're trying to get more cash out of you, how do they know what mark you actually need? As to using past scores to 'mix and match' then, no sadly you can't do this.

I too was worried as I had put emigration as reason for doing ielts, however I passed 1st time with overall 9 ( 8.5 lowest) I think key in listening is focus as you said also it is like old 11plus it's about knowing the formulas. I practised listening reading and writing from online resources also book on academic. At home I had time over but on test day time was tight. Good luck. I found speaking worst as it was the one I had not done much preparation.

Well done oz2014 and it's good to hear someone doing well and first time! Fingers crossed for 21st I will get similar marks. Speaking, I found the easiest as I can talk for England, plus I'm a social worker so used to talking to anyone about anything.lol

Archived