Chances of getting remaining parent out

steveo

Hi all,

We're perm residents and are awaiting citizenship, applied in June, my parents are elderly and isolated back in the UK, my growing worry is when one of them "goes" how can we bring my remaining parent to live with us over here. I understand the various parent visa options, contributory is not possible as there isn't any estate, and non-contributory is 10-15 year waiting, they're both 80 and so that's not an option either. It only becomes urgent when there is just one of them left as I really don't think one could survive without the other and no family back there at all.

I hate thinking like this but I have to really.

Any advice much appreciated.

S.

Well those are the two visas available, it sounds like you have looked into those. The only other option may be a visitor visa, but this would clearly not be a permanent method and they would not be able to stay indefinitely. I don't know a lot about this kind of thing, but I know there are people on here that do - so hang out for a while and those people will probably be along soon.

Have you looked at the Aged Parent visa option? This is applied for when the applicant is in Australia (usually on a visitor visa) and would allow your parent to be in Australia with you while the application processes.

Edited by MigrateOz

Hi all,

We're perm residents and are awaiting citizenship, applied in June, my parents are elderly and isolated back in the UK, my growing worry is when one of them "goes" how can we bring my remaining parent to live with us over here. I understand the various parent visa options, contributory is not possible as there isn't any estate, and non-contributory is 10-15 year waiting, they're both 80 and so that's not an option either. It only becomes urgent when there is just one of them left as I really don't think one could survive without the other and no family back there at all.

S.

Hi Steveo.

Send me a PM or an email with your details, and I'll email our relevant factsheets to you.

Best regards.

A point to note as i found out recently when looking into my grandparents coming out for my wedding is that over 75's need a full medical to be awarded even a holiday visa for australia

This must be a policy that is applied on a variable basis, as my father-in-law (who is 80) is coming to Australia for a holiday later this year and hasn't been asked to attend a medical examination.

Is the visa your grandparents applied for an ETA, or a longer stay tourist visa?

Best regards.

This must be a policy that is applied on a variable basis, as my father-in-law (who is 80) is coming to Australia for a holiday later this year and hasn't been asked to attend a medical examination.

Is the visa your grandparents applied for an ETA, or a longer stay tourist visa?

Best regards.

yep just revisited the website and it does may may be required to provide evidence if over 75

my mistake

still my grandparents are way too old to travel really

Hi all,

S.

Are you sure that's what they want? At their age they may wish to remain where it's familiar to them an where they may have friends. Sometimes we mistake what they want as our own feelings of what we want or need. It may be you that doesn't want to think of them on their own but at over 80 they may well not wish to upsticks and leave all that is familiar and memories of their spouse. Hope you all find the result your looking for whichever the outcome .

Edited by Que Sera, Sera

Hi all,

S.

Well those are the options, the only other option is the tourist visa but they would have to leave the country wgularly on that and maybe would never really feel settled.

Or the other option is to do what we are doing and staying with my parents and caring for them in their own home. I am not sure that carting someone who has just lost a life partner over to the other side of the world is an entirely humane thing to do. Que SeraSera has said it perfectly!

Or the other option is to do what we are doing and staying with my parents and caring for them in their own home. I am not sure that carting someone who has just lost a life partner over to the other side of the world is an entirely humane thing to do. Que SeraSera has said it perfectly!

It depends where they live, how they live, what their character is like, what other family they have, what other friends they have.....and what environment you can offer them in another country.

In some cases it's more humane to get them out if you can and they might welcome the idea.

Huge cultural change though, but they'd have to go through that if they downsized in the UK. Half the problem is getting people in their 80's to realize that their life will change wherever they live.