Dual Nationality, advantages?

SaintRef

Permenant Resident here. Very happy in Oz, with no intention of returning to the UK other than a holiday.

I've done my time and have now applied for Australian Citizenship, which I will have shortly.

My question to the forum is, what is the advantage of keeping my UK passport valid, once I have my Australian passport?

An Australian passport is as welcome in pretty much all the same countries as the UK (Brazil is an exception, but any others?), so why keep both?

Your thoughts...

Having or not having a valid UK passport has no bearing on whether you are a UK citizen, as far as I understand it. After all, how many people live in the UK and have no passport at all, but are still citizens. UK citizenship is something that you either have through birth or through naturalisation, regardless of whether your passport is up to date. If you travel to the UK from Australia as an Australian citizen, you will need to leave and enter Australia on your Australian passport. That is a valid travel document that will allow you to travel to the UK. What will get you in to the UK without a visa, is a British passport, whether valid or not, because by having had one you are eligible to enter the UK, as a citizen of the UK.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I think the benefits are that when there's a downturn in the economy like the UK has suffered over the last five years and if you or your kids are struggling to find a decent well paid job, or career then the opportunities might be better in Australia and similarly if Australia has a downturn in the future and the UK picks up, which it's showing signs of doing so, you might fancy returning for awhile. Both countries are great and having dual nationality to be able to live in either, is a fantastic bonus to me and is one of the main reasons I want to emigrate, to give my kids this great opportunity.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Choice not just for you but your children and grandchildren :yes:

I said that to my wife, we are not only giving our kids this great opportunity, but also our grand kids when they are born. What a great legacy to leave your family.

I think the benefits are that when there's a downturn in the economy like the UK has suffered over the last five years and if you or your kids are struggling to find a decent well paid job, or career then the opportunities might be better in Australia and similarly if Australia has a downturn in the future and the UK picks up, which it's showing signs of doing so, you might fancy returning for awhile. Both countries are great and having dual nationality to be able to live in either, is a fantastic bonus to me and is one of the main reasons I want to emigrate, to give my kids this great opportunity.

Good point, and fortunatly I have already obtained both passports for my kids. Don't want to deny them any opportunities.

Saves me money renewing a passport I'll rarely use...

If you place the money factor over the advantages of having dual citizenship then I guess you've answered your initial question.

There is the thing of course no matter what you think of Australia at present, that a time may come when you want to return.

It is a gift to be able to have two citizenships something I'd keep up to date. In fact I'd take others if I could even though probably never live in those countries.

Useful if you wish to travel to some underrated part of the world.

You will get entry stamps to those countries.

Other countries you may visit (US, Israel) may see these entry stamps and deny you entry.

Two passports may alleviate these little issues.

Aussies don't have problem entering Europe, and once in they can move freely...

Obviously one can move freely on an Aussie passport. But I still recall when visa's were required for France, Spain and all the East Block countries. Not sure what the visa situation is like these days but still three months validity in EU.

UK immigration can be very inquisitive into where staying, reasons for being in country and inability to work.

No one has mentioned the obvious one, you can commit a crime, they can take your passport off you and then u flee the country on the other one :)

Crikey! Never thought of that. I'll keep it in mind....just in case.:wink:

If you place the money factor over the advantages of having dual citizenship then I guess you've answered your initial question.

There is the thing of course no matter what you think of Australia at present, that a time may come when you want to return.

It is a gift to be able to have two citizenships something I'd keep up to date. In fact I'd take others if I could even though probably never live in those countries.

....But what are the advantages?

A visitor gets issued a visa at point of entry. Or declined as the case may be. Any suspicions of seeking employment can result in a visa being denied. Same as if immigration suspects a person does not have enough funds to support their stay.

Exactly. A visa is still needed, and they can turn you away. They can't turn away a citizen (with proof of citizenship).

Archived